Enduro Results

Reminds me of the last PR race in 2008 Randy. I had big car issues and qualified last, and then went to the meeting late. Mikee B. says sorry, I'll have to put you to the back. I said, "darn it Mike, that sucks." Then he looked at the Q sheet, muttered something under his breath and walked away! It's fun to one up the race chair!
So how much do you figure you lost getting around the cars in front of you?

Here is our recap and strategy of the race. First off, i would like to thank the 48 team for a great race! WE came up here to test the new transaxle as some of you know, we were running a solid 3rd in the 25 and probably would have finished there at the end, but the g50 box is no match for the LS package. Mendeola, our new partner in developing a new road race box, gave us a top gear that would only go 132 MPH. This car is capable of going 175 at 5800 rpm. Actually, we were more competitive than we thought we were going to be. Over the winter, we made over 60 changes to the car in which nothing failed and this was our first time ever running in the rain. ( learned a lot).

Here is our game plan which is basic of all our races.
run three hours and make a driver and fuel pit stop. That's it.

Our first pit stop came early as our indicator lights on the side of the car that lets us know when we have .5 gal left in the tank. 2:45 min. We dumped 40 gallons, driver change and off in 2:11.

Rod went out and not knowing he had little or no experience in rain, he called himself in early without warning and we were not really prepared for the stop. It was not a good stop and cost us great racing till the end. We did find out the GTM doesn't like wet weather and will have to work it out this year for the 25. What is nice about this car is that we can go 3 hours at TH and Buttonwillow easily. we did learn that we needed 2 more pit helpers to execute a great stop. All in all, the gear ratio held us back and the bad pit stop crippled us, figuring that we would have been laps ahead of the 48 car when it began to rain. We were satisfied with our results and very excited that the 48 car and drivers helped us put on a great show during the race!

Richard Migliori

....Mendeola, our new partner in developing a new road race box, gave us a top gear that would only go 132 MPH. This car is capable of going 175 at 5800 rpm. Richard Migliori

WOW, Richard. That was a BIG handicap to add to the race.

I'm guessing with the new box, you're working on some form of quick-change capability in the future?

If you ever choose to come up for the ICSCC/Cascades Sports Car Club 6/12 hours of the Cascades in October, you'll need gearing "close" to optimum for Seattle Raceway. The run up Portlands back straight (including the sweeps on to it) is almost as long as the run at Seattle but it's up a slight incline.

In our MK8/9 we go one tooth shorter 4th for Portland then Seattle.

Last edited:
Post Away, no problem.
Jeff

I figure its always best to ask first

26391_372768652685_655452685_385790.jpg

DSC_2971_sml.jpg

DSC_2980_sml.jpg

DSC_2973_sml.jpg

Randy, you guys did a great job. That car is quick. Like you mentioned earlier you spent time optimizing the setup and it showed.

Hi,

On behalf of the #37 team, thanks for the "Determination Award". I was actually driving the #37 R4C Motorsports 200SX when it decided to make a hard right at the exit of 5A and was ultimately faced with some pretty poor choices. I'd like to thank the Turn Workers at 5A for their help and to let everyone know I am OK. When the car was towed back into the paddock, the crew found a broken left rear suspension spring. They did an awesome job getting the car back out to finish the race (in spite of the reliability issues we had).

I'd also like to thank the Bryce King for the opportunity to drive and the crew he assembled on such short notice.

Finally, thanks to IRDC for a great event.

Randy Karambelas
G2,5:191

Hi,

On behalf of the #37 team, thanks for the "Determination Award". I was actually driving the #37 R4C ...... When the car was towed back into the paddock, the crew found a broken left rear suspension spring. They did an awesome job getting the car back out to finish the race (in spite of the reliability issues we had).....

Nice job overall #37. That extra effort got you a 12th overall and 2nd in L-1. :) Yes on the suspension thing there in 5A. We had a sheer mount for the right rear lower A-arm give out a little further on in 2008... Ugly stuff.

Last edited:
I have attached a screenshot of the final lap (I think; it might be one lap before). This is from my laptop and isn't in any way official.

Steve,

Your screen capture was from one lap previous. We made a last lap pass to secure 5th overall.

With the exception of a loose nut that needed some additional torque, costing us a couple of laps, the car ran flawlessly and was decently quick in the heavy rains. The braking zone into 3A was sure slick though. I went long 3 times and to the stop sign once. Watched a couple of cars go off there, one of which looked to puke out house insulation before nearly trying the shiny side down.

Thanks to all who braved the elements to put on this event and keep us safe.

Cheers

R

Last edited:
..... the car ran flawlessly and was decently quick in the heavy rains. The braking zone into 3A was sure slick though. I went long 3 times and to the stop sign once. Watched a couple of cars go off there, one of which looked to puke out house insulation before nearly trying the shiny side down. R

You guys were relatively 'flawlessly' quick in the wet. Really winding it up out of T-3B. That #5 CRX was one of the 'shows' of the race :) Had to be in that crowd to pull off a 5th overall.

The Norton Racing BMW E36 (#15 White) is the one that 'insulated' Turn 3. Energy absorbing foam that's also environmentally friendly! That 'energy absorbtion' is probably what saved that car when they used the 'banking' to enter the escape road and allowed them to finish the race.

Last edited:
For what it is worth Michael, the supplied version of rMonitor did not work with 64 bit Windows 7. Would not install, just gave a message about incompatibility. By then it was too late for me to look for a compatible version, so we just went and visited some friends down the way that had it working. No worries we had a great time.

As for pits, we just came in every 90 minutes to change drivers and fuel up. We did have to switch to rains before the last stint due to the standing water.

I will be at the S/F at the next race the IRDC sponsors. I would like to ensure that your wireless laptop will work for that race. I run XP Pro and have had no problems with R-Non. I have not tested it with your OS.
Also, can you let me know what kind of tires and tread you used and the amount of water that they displaced (pumped) per minute between turn 9 and 10?

Michael

I would like to ensure that your wireless laptop will work for that race. I run XP Pro and have had no problems with R-Non. I have not tested it with your OS.
Also, can you let me know what kind of tires and tread you used and the amount of water that they displaced (pumped) per minute between turn 9 and 10?

The incompatibility has to do with the 64bit version. A quick google search turned up no hits at all so I will have to look deeper. No worries Michael.

As for our tread... I assume you are referring to my nice little hydroplane excursion there at the end of my stint? At the time we were on old R888's from last year... so the answer is not enough tread and certainly not enough water moved! Definitely made for an interesting and educational drive during the 45 minutes of downpour I drove through. At that point we were due for our driver switch anyway so we swapped out to full tread RA1's for the final stint of the race.

The Norton Racing BMW E36 (#15 White) is the one that 'insulated' Turn 3. Energy absorbing foam that's also environmentally friendly! That 'energy absorbtion' is probably what saved that car when they used the 'banking' to enter the escape road and allowed them to finish the race.

Yup that was me. Brakes locked I could do nothing but swear at myself. I could see were I was going to hit the bank but could do nothing, could not even get it to spin out. Until I was up the bank and in the air then it seemed to spin around just fine. We were lucky to be able to finish with a coil boot shorting out so the engine went 5/6 cylinders off/on. Later I found it ripped the nutserts out of the chassis for Transmission crossmember mounting on one side. Dented the floor slighty also. Other then the splitter/foam/bumper cover no other damage. The "foam" is fire rated and enviro friendly for home building, although the color is not my preferance.

With the splitter missing the car would push in turns 2, 7, 8, and in 9 really badly. Car was just plain spooky in 7 & 9 where I have always been flat before. As long as I held my breath on the front straight I made it to T1 every lap. Was not steering the car so much as "aiming" it and hoping. I was glad and dissappointed for the early ending all at the same time. As it turns out would not have changed our 2nd in class/7th overall with the conditions the way they are.

Yup..... With the splitter missing the car would push in turns 2, 7, 8, and in 9 really badly. Car was just plain spooky in 7.....

Well, you're lucky the splitter gets rid of the push in T-8. I stand in the bleacher and watch Jeff coming out of 8 in his FC. I can see it and, every time he comes off the track he says 'it's pushing out of 8'. Changed bar settings, change chassis rake, adjusted wings. No difference in T-8.

But, that's what happens when you race on cobble stones.

Only problem we have with T-7 is, the apex "bump" wore a hole in one of our side pods.. geez!

Last edited:
Back