Crisis, Baldrick!

Danielle

Hi all... long time no see! I'm taking a few minutes out from preparing the next issue of the Memo to ask if anyone can help out with a family crisis.

My daughter's partner and two of his buddies have been climbing in Utah, and on their trip home they got as far as Richland WA and their (borrowed) van heaved a hairball. They'd already had the fuel pump replaced on the way down... apparently that wasn't the (only) problem.

They are pretty resourceful guys (all ex-Canadian Forces, I think) but none of them is a mechanic... and they're getting pretty stressed, because they need to get home and get back to work while they've still got jobs.

So... I'm wondering if there's anyone here who lives in that area who might be able to give them a hand? What they need right now is someone who can tell them what the problem is with the van... and ideally fix it, depending on how complicated it is... or next steps to be planned thereafter.

If you can help, please email me at d.r.baxter@shaw.ca or call - 604-882-8078 (home) or 604-789-1795 (cell) or 604-599-3081 (work). I'm really anxious to help them get home... not just because of their jobs, but also because my daughter had surgery not long ago and really needs Grant at home.

Thank you so much!!

Last edited:
Well, I got ahold of Brandon (or Bradon). Sounds like they have a game plan of getting the truck looked at tomorrow then renting a reliable vehicle to get back home.

Problem is, van runs for 30 to 100 miles then starts stammering, shuddering and quits. If they let it sit (for a LONG time) it starts again. However, now when it starts it's making a 'banging' noise. Hard to tell from the description if it's really a mechanical 'bang' or perhaps a serious misfire due to fuel/ignition problems. Sounds like maybe a bigger problem has developed.

Hard to diagnose from Issaquah. My initial thought (before the banging was mentioned) was fuel filter but that was replaced along with the fuel pump on the trip down. Sounds like it's in the fuel system rather then ignition but, it could be a defective coil that's opening up when it gets hot. But then there's the 'banging'.... Hmmmmm

Don't worry Dannielle, I think they'll be on the way again in the morning.

Last edited:
Thanks, Rick... I really appreciate your knowledgeable involvement, as does my daughter; and the guys, too, I'm sure.

Back