Conference Production Rules Discussion

Stereophile33

I thought this would be a way to start a discussion regarding the rules of conference production and hopefully get some clarification on the rules.

Replacing Fuel Lines with aftermarket lines. I can install install a fuel cell but can I change the factory lines? What about a surgetank. I can reorder a fuel cell with an internal swirl pot but mine doesnt have one, can I make an external one?
Ceramic Coating of Exhaust Manifolds, can I paint it with ceramic paint.
We can port the head but can we port the intake and exhaust manifolds?
Twin Master cylinders and we can install a proportioning valve but can I remove the factory proportioning valves?
Hood hinges or springs be removed? We can install fiberglass but can we core metal panels?
We are allowed to add hood pins, does that mean I can remove the existing hood latch?

This should help get the conversation started!
Cheers,
Jonathan

Which production class are you looking at?

I would suggest that you get in contact with someone running in that class.

Peter Linssen just moved from IT to production. He is up on the rules. (No Lexan)
I will contact him and have him look at your post, maybe you two can discuss either online or offline.

Conference production rules do allow you to replace the fuel lines but not add a surge tank. Stock exhaust manifolds are mandatory, but painting is allowed. You can port match the intake and exhaust to the stock gasket but head porting is not allowed. You can install a aftermarket proportioning valve and remove the factory unit. Hood modifications are allowed but read the rules carefully before proceeding. You can add hood pins and remove the stock hood latch. ICSCC pproduction rules were designed to allow true stock cars a place to run without investing a lot of money. If you want to build something more refined, try the Improved production rules. They allow for more modification, such as headers, surge tanks, wider rims, racing slicks, etc.

The best advice is to talk to people in your desired class, get all the input possible, then make your decision. You can contact me anytime, if you have additional questions. Good Luck. Dave Bennitt, past tech steward.

from 2010 production rules:

"Matching and polishing of ports. Ports of intake/exhaust
manifolds and heads may not be enlarged to a size greater
than that of a manufacturer’s stock manifold gasket for the
specific engine being used."

This allows head and manifold porting and polishing as long as the ports never exceed the dimensions of the stock manifold gaskets.

Thanks Peter, I didnt see the manifold listed.

Dave its interesting that your take on the rules is that porting the head isnt allowed....especially in light of the way the rules are worded.

Thanks Mark,
peter and I know each other and some of our discussions spawned this thread as a means to clarify the ruleset.

as a historical point of innterest, the Conference Prod rules are a 'time freeze' of SCCA Prod rules circa maybe 1962.

It's kind of cool.

If you want to see a 'worst case scenario' of production rules creep (and get really confused) take a look at the SCCA version.
They're psycho!
(they're also our 'Improved Production')

t

Bmw 2002 in E Improved Production

The rules only allow port matching of the head and manifolds. Polishing of the combustion chamber is allowed. I know that this is confusing but a full porting of the head is not allowed within the intent of the production rules. Your definition of porting may be different than mine but that is the nature of racing. I hope this is helpful.

Dave the rules state that the ports can be made no larger than the gasket size...

SCCA gets through this rule by spec'ing depth you can port. Conference doesnt. Hence why we are starting this discussion as I cannot judge the intent of the rules, only the words themselves. When you've been reading IT rules or Grand-am rules for a few years you begin to understand why certain rules are in place, by conference not specing a depth we are free to port, "the port" which is defined as the opening of the port all the way to the valve seat, to be no larger than the intake or exhaust manifold gasket.

I'm not trying to argue with you about it...but I am trying to prove a point that the rules are vague and your ability to make a clear cut statement about what is allowed or not based on words that are not present in the rules is what I am trying to clarify.
I hope this makes sense.

If the "Rules" are going to start looking like SCCA's and specify everything then it is totally going against what ICSCC is all about. The reason ICSCC is so successful is that it is simplified, racerer (aka driver) driven. I am not going to say that anyone does not cheat. I just don't know anyone who does.

If it is THAT important to them then then I say let them do it, they have to live with themselves for that flag on their window and their trophy at the end of the year.

I sure as hell aint gonna post a tear-down on anyone. I trust them to say if they did or did not modify anything beyond what the book says.

Kyle that makes sense. I'm just so used to reading SCCA rules and with a threatened protest this last weekend in a production class I got all nervous about making sure I was in compliance with my car...

What car do you drive? You said GP?

I don't blame you for being concerned. It's just that if your car is that competative then just move up a class. My old PL510 is NOT the fastest there, and if I tried to catch those faster I'd kill it! I do think there should be some equalization among the group, as there is a very big stretch in the times, and the term "competition potential" in the rule book is not applied often. Lets see if Bill will take the reigns on that one.

But I have a blast every time I am out there. Thats what counts.

Agreed....at the end of the day I am out there to have fun...but I don't want to be spoiling anyone elses attempt at fun as well. And a number of folks are more competitive than I...but I wanna make sure I'm legal.

6. Installation of additional hood straps or fasteners.

This is all I found in the production rules that addresses your question. I would say you can add hood pins but not remove hinges.

My question then would be can the hood latch be removed as a matter of safety. Like trying to put out an engine fire when the car has been wrecked and the hood latch is jammed. The rules do not say you can...

.....My question then would be can the hood latch be removed as a matter of safety. Like trying to put out an engine fire when the car has been wrecked and the hood latch is jammed. The rules do not say you can...

Not really. Corner workers will try to find ways to put out an engine compartment fire WITHOUT opening the hood. Reduces the likelihood of a 'back draft' big POOF of fire. But if no other way, we'll lift it slightly to get the nozzle in there.

But, we'd rather probe and find openings until the E-crew arrives with more fire suppression equipment. They are prepared for POOFS of flame and have ways of opening 'jammed' hoods..

There is no Glossary in the ICSCC competition regulations. What does "dual master cylinders" refer to? The production rules allow "Installation of dual master cylinders". My racing mind interprets that as any duel (tandem) master cylinder set and therefore a balance bar setup for brake bias.

On another matter, after the monsoons in Portland, would it be unreasonable to expect everyone to have a working "Rain Light"?

Back