Chicane Challenge XVIII

FFRSpec72

What does this mean ?

"This is a Chicane race run from the Pro Pits Entry to PIR will be through Turn 8 only" ? I have never been to PIR.

If you've ever seen a race from PIR, on the front straight theres a 'chicane' named Festival Corner. It's a VERY quick 60 degree right corner followed immediately by 90 degree left followed by a sweep right of about 30 degrees. The alternative to using this corner is to blast straight down the straight to what is normally Turn 4 (that is done the 1st race of the year, only). The Festival Chicane is one of the real challenges on the track.

Don't worry, you'll be able to use ALL the power in that Cobra on the back straight and getting from T-12 to the Festival Corner! From where you can put the power down on the back is just as long as Pacific's straight. But because it's slightly up hill, we gear an FC one tooth shorter 4th at Portland compared to Pacific cause of limited HP/torque. All other gears are the same with Festival in the mix.

ENTRY:
When you arrive at PIR and make the entrance to the track, you'll see a MAIN GATE on the left as you enter. DO NOT enter there. Stay on the road that takes you past the public parking and vanish's into the bushes. As you go along that road, you'll eventually run into a line of trailers and cars on Friday waiting to enter the track at the conclusion of the Drivers Training. Get in line and, if you're early enough you can walk up, schmooze with fellow drivers and get your wrist band before the line starts to move.

There will be a security person there having you sign a waiver before you enter the grounds. Follow the line across the track and in to the Pro Pits. If you arrive late Friday, the line will be gone but guard still there (all night). If you arrive Saturday morning or, ANY TIME, follow the same path to glory!

This will be your NORMAL entry and exit from the track all weekend. If you need to leave mid day, they open the T-8 gate for crossing between run groups.

P.S.
The reason we use the Pro Pits (which will be pretty crowded) is, there are drag races on Saturday nights and they use the amateur pits. If you camp out, the drags aren't bad. They INCREASE the sound restriction as the evening goes on and by about 10:00PM they are down to street mufflers only. Which doesn't help much with bikes but there aren't that many of them.

Last edited:
Are you going to make it to ORP? This will be a fun track for the novice.

I haven't been to ORP and sadly, won't make this 1st race. But here's my guess as to events.

Unless they've put European style... "track goes this way" signs up, I'd expect to see a LOT of 4 wheels off at the numerous blind-hill-cresting corners on that long track. Will take a while for drivers to memorize it.

Signs probably won't help much, Rich. The drivers are just gonna hafta figure it out. Everyone will need all of that scheduled track time they can get. This track is NOT for the 'fair weather' racer.

T2 will probably be the most popular for 4WO Dr Lft., Adam's (Not Trunk Monkey's) Leap will see some Off right, as the cars get light over the crest, the constant wind will push sideways a bit (haven't seen any winged-things out there at speed yet), the exit from the Half-pipe, maybe the left hander after T10, and that serious kink in the 'almost' straight past T12 and toward S/F... Other than that, it'll be a "BREEZE". <snicker>

I might advise NOT attempting to, or a least be very careful when you attempt to "steer out of it" once you've left the course. Otherwise, you may easily lose a bead, air will leave the tire(s), and you will become a lift tow call.

Truly technical, not for the faint of heart, but it only takes some practice. Memorize...? Sure, take your best shot.

I'll be there waiting for it...

Last edited:
I thought the right at the chicane at PIR was 90 degrees Rich? The left is actually closer to 60 is it not? I am confused, again.

Check it out...

Okay, this one. Wes, if you click the magnifying glass on the lower right portion of your screen, there's a handy drop-up menu that will allow you to select up to a 400% larger screen image. That might get a little fuzzy too, though.

T1=93 deg right rudder

T2=127 to Port

T3=34 deg using the torque of the engine to keep you out of the tires on Drvrs Lft

Yes?

Last edited:
Oh for crying out loud Wes....get some bi-focals....mine work great. (most of the time)
Sad, but true, it happens to a WHOLE BUNCH of us.
(love u, eh)

......T1=93 deg right rudder.....Yes?

Ken, I don't think that's accurate any more. That map is from BEFORE they redid the Festival. Pulled the apex of T=2 IN considerably. I don't think you have to make a full 90 right any more to get in to it. You're sorta 'cutting' across it now heading for T-2. Lots of cars, lots of lines.

True, but the actual corner is still 90 degrees as seen from the cockpit. The left is less than that, but as I said I can't see what it says on that tiny track map.

I had Lasik a few years back Lynn, and other than small print I'm good without glasses. 61 is coming up in less than 30 days, so I'm quite proud that I can put on my helmet and drive without trying to squeeze glasses thru the eye port. Of course there is that small matter of extricating myself from the car after each session without the use of a cherry picker!
Luv u 2 eh...

Okay Kenny, I'm not an engineer, but 127 degrees for the left hand portion of the 'festival' is measured from a line drawn parallel to the right hander. To me it is around 45+ degrees from a line drawn parallel to the front straight. But I suppose if you consider the entire radius thru that corner from the time you begin turning left, then their number applies.
As to ORP, have there been any OW or SR cars down there yet to your knowledge? The view I've seen from CW video is tough enough, but sitting as low as we do will make that track really difficult from a vision standpoint.
Goodnight

It's only survey numbers, and 93+34+(180-127)=180 deg. Right? The map is pretty current. Notice the reconfigurated T7. Your turn-in may vary.

They didn't shorten the apex of T2. They had, 3-4 years ago, and previous to the re-paving, and reconfigurement of T7, widened the entrance to the Chicane (T1), and extended the pavement to Drivers' Right @T2. That, in effect made the entrance to T2 (Chicane apex) wider too. That is also when they finally took all of that damn pea-gravel out of the Chicane (And there was much rejoicing).

"...cherry picker!"--that's funny.

I have only seen an SFR run there once with a STAR Projects day. Everything with that was fine until, during the counter-clockwise session he slid off of T11(?) and into one of the naturally designed random run-off ravines. But with a bit of creative manuevering, I got him back onto the course and he left under his own power. Most all of his parts were still attached... this time.

Bill Bachofner had his S2 out there last year for one of the STAR days. He told me that his gearing wasn't right. He tried taking the kink at the north end of the start finish straight flat, but spun both times, once in each direction. He seemed to think the course was a blast to drive, especially when he gets his gearing right. I'm looking forward to seeing some formula cars, especially a FA out there. It looks like it would be tons of fun in a full blown FA, even if it wouldn't get up to full speed on most of the course.

We don' t know that one of the 'partners' haven't had their own opportunity to use wings at ORP. I haven't heard any stories, or seen any pictures, but...

And you didn't hear it here. You'll just have to come out and find out for yourself.

NOW...

Wasn't this thread about how to get to PIR?

We don' t know that one of the 'partners' haven't had their own opportunity to use wings at ORP. I haven't heard any stories, or seen any pictures, but...

Forgeting cresting hill track visibility, it ain't the wings that have us sports racers and open wheel guys wondering. Looks like there are a couple of places wings will 'work' but not a lot.

With MK 8/9 and LD200 gear boxes, we have an almost infinite choice of gearing. I can understand why Bill Bachofner was geared all wrong.

This track, although 2.3 miles long, doesn't have the long straights like Portland (exit of 7 to entry of 10 about 4,500 feet of full throttle) or Pacific (T-8 exit to braking at T-2). That sets 4th gear. On the other hand, the radius at T-13 looks like you'd need close to a Festival at Portland or T-3A at Pacific 1st gear.

If the question were answered on the ORP TRACK MAPS.. What is the distance from the apex of T-5 to the apex of T-7 AND the distance from the apex of T-14 to T-1 that would big help in getting close for the 1st trip out.

Bill Bachofner..... He tried taking the kink at the north end of the start finish straight flat, but spun both times, once in each direction......

Yes that's T-16 and very interesting. THAT is where wings will really be working on sports racers and winged cars. It may BE a flat out corner. Which makes gearing even more questionable.

I fully expect the Hewland guys to come close to FILLING their 2 gallon 'waste' oil jugs at $6.00 to $10 per quart!

I could probably make a GOOD LIVING coming down and just charging $15 per gear change!

Last edited:
He tried taking the kink at the north end of the start finish straight flat, but spun both times, once in each direction.

Comment from a Pro3 tin-top monkey (laughing at myself on this one) ...

Someone else referred to T16 at ORP as a "kink" prior to my first drive on the track. I hopped in the car, and cautiously proceeded around the "new track", getting a feel for the layout on my out lap. Coming out of T14, having (almost) completed a lap, and having the relatively long straight in front of me, I decided to open it up a bit and have some fun. I attacked "the kink" (T16) just like we would any other "kink" (ala Seattle), with my foot on the floor, and "bending" the car around the corner. On the exit of T16, I was very thankful for the generations of wheat farmers that spent their time picking rocks out of that field, 'cause i was no where close to pavement on exit.

That ain't no kink! ;-) It's a real turn! At least in a Pro3 car ...

I also found out I wasn't the first to discover that there weren't many rocks if you went four off in T16.

ORP is an absolutely great track - it's as fun as they get! Just sayin' - if you haven't driven ORP, respect it, at least the first couple of laps - even the "kink".

Dan

Back