Anyone running Pro 7/ITA RX7's this year?

Bluevee33

I just bought a Spec/Pro 7 82 RX7 and plan on running most of the Conference races this year depending on my cash flow. How many other RX7's are running in the area??

I will be running PRO-7 this year and plan to be at the first race. We usually have a range of 4-7 cars per weekend with hopefully a few more coming onboard. Do you plan on attending the first Portland race? If so come on by and see us in the pits. If your looking for more info just give me a call in the evenings.
Duane 360.871.6162

I'm picking up the car this weekend in Bakersfield, CA... I think I'll make the first ORP Driver training and race! I'm new to road racing, so I'm starting from scratch with the Novice races to start! But the later part of the season I should be running with the Pro-7 class!
Depending on money and how many races I make it too, I may have a ride in the 12 hour enduro, in a American Sedan Camaro!

I'd like to get a team and parts/spares together and take a RX7 down to Thunderhill for the 25 hour race!

whats the status with tires this year? i did find some 185/60 13's on the internet but les scwhab doesn't have any in the wharehouse and toyos not making them right now in ra1's or r888's

I just ordered the R888's through A-N-T here in Portland. They are always at PIR for our races. Don't know if they will be at ORP next weekend.

No, and it sounds like we may not be able to get these anymore. We'll have to discuss
this at the track with the other Pro7 guys. A-N-T told me Hoosier makes a tire in our size,
but they are $167 each. They are going to do some research and get back to me on other
possibilities.

is there another size of the toyos that we can run? i see theres a toyo ra1 in a 205/60r13. i'm not going to be at orp, i might make it to portland in june. but i will be at seattle in july.

I called the main dealer for these -- Les Schwab -- and the story is simply that Toyo makes these in batches.
They don't keep pumping them out -- they wait until they get low and then make a bunch more.
He said that Toyo is planning another batch in mid-June and then availability picks up again.

Yes, the RA-1 in our size is dead, but the R-888 soldiers on. Heck I just bought a set of 4 just last month.
I've never dealt with ANT, but just because they don't have them doesn't mean much.

i hope les schwab has them by july, i need a third set of tires. what are you guys running pressure wise in the 888's vs the ra1's?

I'm not sure you will be getting anyone to offer up their secret tire pressure recipes.
Plus it differs for every driver and style.
You need to put enough pressure in there to get the tire to the right temperature across the tread.
http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/proxes-r888

I bought my tires online because I needed to also get 6 RV tires and no one could do a reasonable price locally. Even with shipping my Kumho truck tires were cheaper than Chinese tires locally.

Last edited:
But that tires size isn't legal in our class.
It takes about a year to allow different tires than specified in the rules in order to wear out each racer's existing stock.
The R-888s work fine.

I forgot that the Pro7 class here has to run 185's. The SpecRX7 class in Arizona where my car came from runs 205's. So, I have a couple sets of 205s. I guess I have to buy new tires before I run Pro7

Bill, What did you mean when you said? "tires were cheaper than Chinese tires locally. "? Toyo makes all their racing tires in Japan. They do have 3 facilities, one in Japan, one in China and one in California. They make any of their tires at any locations except the race tires.

Kyle

Our PRO-7 class runs 185/60-13 in either Toyo R-888's or RA-1's.

The SpecRX7 class in AZ was the Toyo R888 or RA1's as well but they were allowed to run the cheaper 205's. I think all the Pro7 drivers need to vote in the 205 tires. They are cheaper and available in the RA1's and R888 readily!

Did your Spec RX7 class also allow a gearing change from stock? Our rules only allow the stock rear end ratio. With a 205 being a taller tire or larger diameter you would have to increase your ratio to acheive the same pulling power. Since we have very little torque in our cars that could potentially slow us down even more. Would we be able to gain that back in the turns with more grip from a wider tire I'm not really sure. We have brought this up several times in the past but it can always be looked at again. In addition, you need to factor in the cost and availability of a new ring and pinion and possibly labor to build.
Duane

Last edited:
Bill, What did you mean when you said? "tires were cheaper than Chinese tires locally. "? Toyo makes all their racing tires in Japan. They do have 3 facilities, one in Japan, one in China and one in California. They make any of their tires at any locations except the race tires.

Kyle

The tires I purchased mail order (Kumhos) for the RV were cheaper than some of the Chinese tires available locally.
You can find Chinese tires now at Sears and Les Schwab.
I've owned and driven Kumhos and find them to be an acceptable tire.

Chinese truck tires are not known to be either round or long lasting.

The SpecRX7 class in AZ was the Toyo R888 or RA1's as well but they were allowed to run the cheaper 205's. I think all the Pro7 drivers need to vote in the 205 tires. They are cheaper and available in the RA1's and R888 readily!

There is only an $8 difference between tires, so it can't be cost -- can it?

I'll run some gear/tire diameter/speed charts on various tires and post them later.

Back