Any shipping experts out there?

rick_bostrom

Onda Kattan Racing
I need to get a substantial number of spares, extra bodywork, wheels, and tires from Pennsylvania to my garage in Tacoma.

Considering the diversity of experience among the racing community I feel confident that one or more of you can significantly improve my knowledge on the subject!

I started out thinking one of the "PODS" style shippers that drops of a storage container of a certain size to be filled then picks it up and transports it to it's destination might be the solution but they are shockingly expensive! It would cost close to twice the cost of transporting the actual car out to send the container of spares.

I looked at pre-fabbed shipping crates of different sizes but they are not only fairly expensive but I am concerned about how well they would protect the cargo.

I thought about going and fetching them myself but it would be an 88 hour round trip for me, my truck, and my trailer and I just can't be off work that long.

I considered flying out, buying a small trailer and the cheapest truck that I thought would be able to make the return strip towing the trailer but that is still 44 hours of driving and has the potential to cost a similar fortune if the truck or trailer conks out on the way back plus I might lose a fair amount of cash on resale at this end.

Anybody worked their way through this kind of quandary? I would be grateful for any help finding a solution.

Can only tell you what we did. When we purchased the TWO Reynard FC cars and spares they were located in Las Vegas. Jeff flew down and rented a 24' U-Haul truck and car trailer. He had a tow truck come over to the owners house and lift the first car in to the truck then loaded the spares in. Then, attached the car trailer and loaded the second Reynard on it.

Being young and a little crazy, he drove straight through and was home in a day and a half.

- - - Updated - - -

Can only tell you what we did. When we purchased the TWO Reynard FC cars and spares they were located in Las Vegas. Jeff flew down and rented a 24' U-Haul truck and car trailer. He had a tow truck come over to the owners house and lift the first car in to the truck then loaded the spares in. Then, attached the car trailer and loaded the second Reynard on it.

Being young and a little crazy, he drove straight through and was home in a day and a half.

We off loaded at my brothers house where we had plenty of 2x8 ramps to get the in truck car off.

I am by no means an expert, but I have had to move large and unwieldy collections of objects great distances before. I have used railroad container shipping with success. It is a bit of a hassle, but less expensive than PODS or some other options. The logistics of getting the container loaded are tricky, but depending on your time and comfort with who is on the other end, it can be done.
The last large load I did, I actually bought a 8x8x20 container, had it delivered to the site, loaded it, had it dropped at the rail yard in LA, had it shipped to Tacoma, and then hired a local transporter to have it delivered to my yard. My intent was to eventually sell the container back (loads of local companies deal in them)....but they are so waterproof, and secure, and large.....

- - - Updated - - -

I am by no means an expert, but I have had to move large and unwieldy collections of objects great distances before. I have used railroad container shipping with success. It is a bit of a hassle, but less expensive than PODS or some other options. The logistics of getting the container loaded are tricky, but depending on your time and comfort with who is on the other end, it can be done.
The last large load I did, I actually bought a 8x8x20 container, had it delivered to the site, loaded it, had it dropped at the rail yard in LA, had it shipped to Tacoma, and then hired a local transporter to have it delivered to my yard. My intent was to eventually sell the container back (loads of local companies deal in them)....but they are so waterproof, and secure, and large.....

I used Independent Truckers to haul expensive and sensitive motor control equipment from Pittsburgh and never had a problem. I asked for a dedicated truck - partial load - so there was no unloading - reloading as the load shipped across country. If Tim still works there he would be good to ask for. He may have ideas and Independent Truckers sometimes have to think outside the box. I would save 30% over the factory contracted freight company and get faster service. My experience - yours may be different.
I like the shipping container idea too, there are short ones that can fork lift load and unload onto a flat bed or skirt side for a partial load rate.
IDI
PORTLAND, OREGON
214 NE Middlefield Road
Portland, Oregon 97211-1299
(503) 285-4251
(503) 285-4035 FAX
(800) 826-0430

- - - Updated - - -

I used Independent Truckers to haul expensive and sensitive motor control equipment from Pittsburgh and never had a problem. I asked for a dedicated truck - partial load - so there was no unloading - reloading as the load shipped across country. If Tim still works there he would be good to ask for. He may have ideas and Independent Truckers sometimes have to think outside the box. I would save 30% over the factory contracted freight company and get faster service. My experience - yours may be different.
I like the shipping container idea too, there are short ones that can fork lift load and unload onto a flat bed or skirt side for a partial load rate.
IDI
PORTLAND, OREGON
214 NE Middlefield Road
Portland, Oregon 97211-1299
(503) 285-4251
(503) 285-4035 FAX
(800) 826-0430

Back