Any Group 2 Sunday video? Please post link here.

Bill Bonsell

A very interesting but often maddening Group 2 race. Too bad it ended under caution, but hope course worker is in good spirits today.
If anyone has race video from Group 2 pls post. I pushed the wrong button twice on my gopro, so no video from me. Thanks...

Thanks Andy...great footage from both cameras. Damn missed shifts. Interesting seeing the great runs out of 6 which were abruptly shut down at 7....

Last edited:
Watching these, it seems that a few cars got "Shut down"........hmmm

Great drive Tracey and Andy. (hey can you get Miatas with really big fly swatters?)

HAHAHA..... Fly swatters....hmmm.......
Thanks Lynn, too bad it don't me do a damn bit of good this race :frown:

T...the more video I watch, the more frustrated I become. Both Andy and Greg just continued to move forward after getting by the 57...my missed shifts out of 3B with the new tranny hurt my chances a great deal. You did everything you could do except risk contact to make yourself room.

well I will be learning this week from some great coaching how to get much,much more" assertive" in my passing moves. I do know its my first year and I have LOTS to
learn yet. It's a real kick in the pants when on Friday I was running with Dave & Mark so the skills are there, now to learn how get away from the BS out there and Im
on my way !! I'll see ya in PIR with my passing panties on :mad:

It seems that there are a few complaints in here and the other video thread about PRO7 cars getting in the way of other races. If this is the only reason to be complaining I think it's important to note that the 57 car was leading his race and had an in-class competitor in the pack behind him. These two also appear to be in a season long points battle for 1st place in their class. Given this, I wouldn't expect this car to give up any speed to allow cars with greater performance potential to get by. If the nearest in class competitor of the 57 car were 10-20 seconds away I would expect him to yield to your race. It's not required but it certainly would be the courteous thing to do. Congestion certainly does make the race more dangerous but we also need to respect the races of cars with lower performance potential in our groups. Just my $.02 since I empathize somewhat as ITA cars face a similar plight in group 5.

No Yielding needed, just a bit of room on the inside is all. Miatas are faster in the corners but the Pro7's seem to use the ENTIRE corner so If we arent given
some room in the entry we dont get by. Not complaining, I know damn well its my problem and Im gunna fix it :eek:

Interesting video. As an RX-7 driver here's my put. I won't deal with the intra-class race as that's been mentioned.

I threw out the top and bottom fast laps for SM at PR (5/22/11) and came out with an average fast lap for the "main field" of 1:45.068. I didn't want to
do your last race...
During the last PR race the top three Pro-7 cars (including me, just to make sure the average dropped) averaged fast lap 1:45.6.
So these cars are not that far apart.

Rx-7s are interesting cars to drive on the edge and require all of the race surface.
What some may perceive as "getting in the way" or "blocking" is simply the RX-7 line.
We look like we are out of control since to go fast we are always on the other side of the
slip angle curve. So we use up a lot of real estate sliding around with our truck rear suspension.

In the last race the first and second positions in Pro-7 were 0.2 seconds or less apart for
most of the race. In such a race you can expect these cars to use 100% of the track and
maybe then some.

The Miatas are a faster car -- faster through the corners and faster for a lap. The RX-7s will top end
most Miatas. Which is where the frustration may lie. You can't get by us on the straights (if we got a
really good line coming out of the last corner) and we use all of the track in the corners. Get two guys
with slightly different lines and it really gets busy. If I ever get in there you'll have a third even more
interesting line!
But the lead RX-7 is only tenths from the next class car and as I keep improving, hopefully tenths
from me. Can you handle just 3 of us? 10 years ago there were over a dozen. I'll bet that was
interesting for everyone!

In the last race where much frustration was voiced a number of cars got by the lead Rx-7s. Some
didn't. Two Miatas in front of me dicing it out in the same group as you guys made it very difficult for
me to join the other RX-7s. I was readying for a pass and then the yellow dropped. I was frustrated
too as I was keeping up with the group, but couldn't join the RX-7s.

I don't believe the answer to be split starts. Or moves made out of frustration. You simply have to
learn of our weaknesses and exploit them. There are many compared to a Miata...

Work together - not against

As the car behind, I know it's my job to make the pass, no question, and I did. My strategic thought was that the lead RX-7 could use my miata, for the draft, and we could have pulled away from the chasing RX-7 and I could have perhaps caught the SM lead group. As it was, 3 or 4 laps of dog fighting for a pass, slowed us both down. There were several oppotunites for me to slip down the inside of turns 2, 3B, 7, 8, that would have cost 57 nothing in time, and we could have worked together.

Developing passing skills takes time I know. I tried very hard the first few laps in 2 and 3A to get by the lead Pro7 car, but to no avail. Had I just been given a bit of room in any of those corners (without any loss to time to the lead rotary) I would have been gone unless I missed a gear shift or something which I did on several occasions exiting 3B allowing fellow class competitors to get a run. When a car you are trying to overtake is moving all over the place it does make it hard to decide which way to go. One of the RX7 drivers and I had a phone conversation earlier this week. I have ultimate respect for him and consider him a friend. I think we understand each other. I also think this problem is more a Pacific issue. I was on the 2nd row outside at the start and was really pushed wide in turn 2 and that was that for me....can't wait for Portland.

i know ive raced with the the pro7's and the miata's in group2 ive been able to see patterns some very abnormal on how both set up corners when they are not defending vs defending. its a lot harder to set up a pass when you also are defending others in your own class that want to pass you. it just takes time and knowning the drivers and cars. one thing i do that really helps me i try and watch as much in car video as i can. does not matter from who, just to see what others are doing while on track in the groups i run in. so far thats G1, G2, G5 and soon i hope G4.

I Agree on everything. Nothing against # 57 here either, hes a good guy. It's those damn RX7"s in general, lol.... Are you sure we can't interest you boys in a few Miatas ??
I happen to have three extra's sitting around doing nothing?? I would be more than happy to trade them for some tail happy RX7's :wink: It sounds like a win, win to me !!

See ya guys in Portland, cheers !

Back