5 minute warning

mark_hanken

Holeshot
Have the rules changed regarding engines off at the 5 minute warning?

Group five last week had many engines running after the five was called.

Mark, check sectiuon 707 in the Comp Regs.
Practice and qualifying seems to have different allowances for engines running to what the 5 min warning for a race is. It's pretty much straightforward.
Hope that helps.

It says "No engines shall be running between the 5 minute warning and the 1 minute warning"
Is there a penalty for not complying with this rule? I don't see one.

I think usually the grid person holds that car until all cars are clear moving you to the back of the grid. That is the reason sometimes you see a car come on the grid as the start out to the track. A clutch or starter problem is usually the reason.

Grid was very tight at ORP with the LIfe-flight helo sharing space, and the cars being stacked 2-3 rows deep.
Group 5 was large enough that last weekend it took a long time to shuffle the cars into their correct places. Even though everyone was lined up to get onto grid on time, there may have been cars put into their places after the 5 was called. They may not have heard the whistle or been told until later. The grid people did a great job of handling a difficult situation.
When there is a separate paved area for the life-flight helo besides part of the pre-grid area, gridding will be easier and faster.

For next time, all might note that we should try to be to grid sooner than other tracks.

It says "No engines shall be running between the 5 minute warning and the 1 minute warning"
Is there a penalty for not complying with this rule? I don't see one.

The 5 minute warning apply's to RACES only, I think. And yes, its intention is to verify that you have a working starter.

Notice this does not DQ you from racing if you cannot self start. Just moves you to the back of the field.

Back