12. PASSED
  13. PASSED
  14. PASSED
  15. PASSED
  16. PASSED
  17. PASSED
  18. PASSED
  19. PASSED
  20. PASSED - but tabled until the Spring Meeting by the E-Board (involves a discussion with NASA)
  21. PASSED
  22. PASSED
  23. PASSED
  24. PASSED
  25. PASSED
  26. PASSED
  27. PASSED
  28. PASSED
  29. PASSED
  30. PASSED
  31. PASSED
  32. PASSED
  33. PASSED
  34. FAILED

RE: Rule 20

Same type of rule exists already with Spec Miata about tires, does that require ICSCC to have a discussion with the SCCA, and since Spec Miata is also a NASA class, do we now need to discuss our SM class tire choices with NASA as well?

I'm asking because I don't actually know.

I don't know nothin' 'bout no Spec Miata situation, but the whole deal with NASA classes in Conference is complicated by the fact that NASA copyrights everything... There's also the possibility that you'll only be able to run NASA classes with NASA itself, now that they have a presence in the PNW. (That would be a NASA decision, not an ICSCC one.)

....... NASA classes in Conference is complicated by the fact that NASA copyrights everything... There's also the possibility that you'll only be able to run NASA classes with NASA itself, now that they have a presence in the PNW. (That would be a NASA decision, not an ICSCC one.)

Well, as the old saying goes, ICSCC has a 'home' for ANY race car. So I would think with a 'class letters' change on any given race car in NASA a home would be available in ICSCC. Unless, NASA is writing their own rules which to me means 'throw the bum's out'. SCCA based rules cover just about all forms of road racing.

I wonder. This seems to be the same situation that ICSCC may have gone through with SCCA, National office back some 40-ish years ago as they were writing rules that would include 'other' sanction' cars in similar class structure. Diligence toward NASA by obliging those racers in the area that might participate in both is important to the Conference. Respect, really for those drivers. I wonder how important it is to NASA and if they expect to draw any larger market through reciprocity as was the ultimate agreement with SCCA/ICSCC.

And also, if some precedent hasn't already been set through that encounter to protect a situation where one sanctions "assimilated" rule from another is really a copyright violation, or simple semantics.

If I call it a "wheel", you have to call it something else or you're a copy cat? Stuff of lawyers, but it would be interesting to know if we're going through the same situation again...

judge-calling-order-in-the-court.jpg

legal-wise speaking.​

Interesting, makes sense and seems fair.

Conundrum for sure. If you're NASA-NW and the conference is using a class/ruleset that belongs to NASA, they may have a case to keep ICSCC from using the name but do they risk alienating those folks then from running with NASA? Maybe, as the owner of a car that fits in H4, I'd have an unfavorable opinion of that course of action.

Could it create a larger draw to NASA since there are already cars built to NASA ruleset in that region, or lose entries because cars built to a NASA ruleset can play in a different sandbox? Tough to tell.

If they decide to go the unfavorable route then maybe I'll work to change the name of H4 to "Pro-Honda". Gotta admit, it does have a nice ring to it. :wink:

The "NASA classes only in NASA" statement is speculation on my part, as it's my impression that they allowed us to run their classes in the first place because they A) didn't have a presence in the PNW and B) wanted to get more West Coast racers to be able to run in their National Championships. Now that they DO have a PNW presence (and, remember, they're a business, unlike SCCA and ICSCC), what's their advantage in having money based on NASA classes going somewhere OTHER than NASA's bank account?

Like I said, speculation on my part, but the "consulting with NASA" thing in regards to whether the change to rule 1322 gets implemented is straight out of the E-Board meeting.

RE: Rule 20

Same type of rule exists already with Spec Miata about tires, does that require ICSCC to have a discussion with the SCCA, and since Spec Miata is also a NASA class, do we now need to discuss our SM class tire choices with NASA as well?

I'm asking because I don't actually know.
Colin,

SCCA tires fall in line with the SM class, NASA tires legal in the CSM class.

Colin,

SCCA tires fall in line with the SM class, NASA tires legal in the CSM class.

Thank you Kyle,

It wasn't a question about what tires are legal in what class. It was about the need to request permission from SCCA/NASA to change the rules in one of our classes because we adopted the class ruleset and name from them.

Ken and Steve's response addressed it.

Last edited:
Ahh, re-read and understood what you're asking. My bad! Hope my above post will at least help some SM drivers from SCCA/NASA see that they can bring their cars over to ICSCC events as well.

Interesting, makes sense and seems fair.

Conundrum for sure. If you're NASA-NW and the conference is using a class/ruleset that belongs to NASA, they may have a case to keep ICSCC from using the name but do they risk alienating those folks then from running with NASA? Maybe, as the owner of a car that fits in H4, I'd have an unfavorable opinion of that course of action.

Could it create a larger draw to NASA since there are already cars built to NASA ruleset in that region, or lose entries because cars built to a NASA ruleset can play in a different sandbox? Tough to tell.

If they decide to go the unfavorable route then maybe I'll work to change the name of H4 to "Pro-Honda". Gotta admit, it does have a nice ring to it. :wink:

"Pro-Acura"

:wink:

Back