Looking for feedback: New format for schedule/results

Doesn't the P+P Manual say that results have to be in a very specific format? Or is that just the results exchanged between the officials, clubs, and Conference World Headquarters? We've tried changing the format in the past, and IIRC, it was shot down for that reason.

I don't understand what you're saying, Mike. There are very specific rules about what's in the result sheets/PDFs, but I don't see how that's germane to this discussion, if that's what you're referring to.

I personally really don't care too much what the exact format is, so long as the data is present. I agree that the regs should enhance our experience, not impede it.

The bigger gripe in my world, is that the results aren't posted for weeks after the event. There is something basically wrong with that. As a Conference volunteer, I appreciate that other volunteers are doing their best with T/S, but there has got to be a way to speed up the process in this time of ubiquitous instant data transfer in so many other areas of our lives.

Ummm,

The Web Site publish's a link to a PDF results file which IS in whatever format is dictated by the gods (small g). Therefore, it is in compliance with whatever rules of font exist at the time it was provided to the web master.

The goal of the 'rules' is to avoid having FIVE completely different looking formats for race results. A worthy objective. If somebody wants that sheet of paper to look different for the sake of looking different then it should be agreed to by all the clubs.

...Because that's progress, Baby. And it ain't 2004 any more.

It ain't 1776 any more either. But DON'T MESS with the Constitution just cause it's 2009!

Agree Randy:
Barring protests, there does seem to be an excessive delay on occasion to results being published. Always interesting to those who miss a race weekend and don't get a copy of the unofficial results.

Last edited:
Okay, that's enough. I've watched this particular 'whip' in action long enough.
What particular whip are you referring to, Ken?

I don't understand what you're saying, Mike. There are very specific rules about what's in the result sheets/PDFs, but I don't see how that's germane to this discussion, if that's what you're referring to.
Right; the rules about the results is what I'm asking about. I'm all for improvement, but if the improvements are outside the rulebook, we have problems. I'm all for making things better, and took a run at similar improvements earlier in my volunteer career. I'm just wondering if you've found a way to make all the powers that be happy.

What is DOS anyway?

DOS = Disk Operating System

It, until Vista was the CORE foundation of what allowed a computer to work. Windows has DOS running under all those fancy screens and icons.

A very basic computer language that you had to type in and know all the proper commands for to get a computer to do anything. Windows uses the DOS language to accomplish many of the tasks once you push the fancy symbols.

Actually invented by a real estate agent in Renton decades ago. Bill Gates purchased the rights to it for what, maybe $300? Then convinced IBM that it was the one-true-way to operate computers but also convinced IBM that he should retain the rights to the software.... Thus was bourne Microsoft and the rest is history.

That was joke Rich, but thank you for the discourse. I remember a computer class at the UW in the late 60's with the punch cards and a computer that filled the whole room I think!
How many great ideas and fortunes have been lost because of a failure to retain the rights to an invention or an idea? How many penniless schmucks are out there right now lamenting the day a 'Gates' did a number on them?
And I do agree with Randy that the results posting issue has gone on for years now with no improvement. We are way past the old 'steward sign off, copy and mail to various officials' method. This should take a few days, not weeks, and AMB claims that they support that premise, so what is the real issue behind this? There seem to be constant issues that Perry has to deal with on a given race week-end, some with Wi-fi, some with track loops, but it's always something. I know that T&S is a club responsibility, but perhaps it's time to make it a Conference position, with standardized procedures for every track. (?)

DOS = Disk Operating System

It, until Vista was the CORE foundation of what allowed a computer to work. Windows has DOS running under all those fancy screens and icons.

Sometimes I can't help myself...Windows NT, and its successors (Windows 2000, Windows XP, and now Vista) do not share any heritage with DOS, other than providing backward compatibility for applications written for DOS, including earlier versions of Windows.

However, Windows 3.1, Windows for Workgroups, Windows 95, Windows 98, and Window s Millenium do share varying amounts of foundation with DOS.

To avoid getting stoned for the hijack - the memo is not the website: my read is that the *catalog* of results on the web-site is clear of any of the "official results" rules.

And to echo Randy's sentiments - there must be some way for a copy of the .PDF's to get in the hands of the web-master by the next day, unless there is some dreary manual step that we're all missing.

Cheers,
-Bruce

What Bruce said about Windows.

As for the Web site, it's at the discretion of the ICSCC President. Since I just post electronic versions of the official forms, whatever rules that are in place for those forms is "automatically" met.

Sometimes you guys get SOOOooo picky about the details :)

It all depends upon what is, is. Right?

I knew the Constitution wasn't generated in 1776. The Declaration of Independence was. But the Constitution has been in the news more these days so I thought it would be a more meaningful ref. for the point I was making.

Indeed:
Declaration of Independence
Articles of Confederation

and then

The Constitution

Ahh but for the Libertarian days of the Articles of Confederation to be back.. Sigh.

The Constitution did great good but the document resulted (over 200 years) in Washington, DC assuming WAY TOO much power and authority over States rights. Buy simply invoking congress's right to 'regulate' interstate commerce, they can do anything they want with a distorted logic of what 'regulation' means.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it! How about a tea party now :)

RANT 2:
If our kids are NOT educated in the meaning and intent of those documents (which is not happening in the schools today), the country as we know it is doomed. Do they even teach US and European history these days?

Why can't college graduates of today answer fundimental questions about US history? But they know how to buy/sell derivatives and what 'mark-to-market' means.

Last edited:
I can't count how many times I've had to listen to the over-extrapolation of the intent, and definition of policies and regulations. The so many times of one person suggesting that a good, positive idea can not be acted upon due to some obscure regulation, or policy. A regulation, or policy that, unfortunately, or conveniently, is not immediately evident without the appropriate reference material, which never seems to be available at the time.
I'm sorry that you think I'm in the way, Ken. I'm actually trying to help Steve out.

Back