Group 3 and 6 increase participation

We need to attract the SCCA guys to come race with us. One of the issues is adding the 3rd digit to the cars. It sounds simple to add the digit but space is always a factor and in most case you have to renumber the whole car and then change it back to the two digits for a SCCA race. Could we waive the 3rd digit if the driver holds a SCCA regional license.

Cutting corners on safety items shows a total lack of ones concern for safety. Both theirs and others. Sorry to be so harsh.

If a driver is new to ow racing then they should complete the novice program as it stands. If a driver has previous racing experience then it should be up to the License Director on what license one gets and how many observation races they have to do.

Tim Bland
84 Anson SA4 FSV

I certainly never said nor meant to imply that safety should be compromised. But believing that having the newest belts, suit, helmet, hans, or whatever somehow makes a person safe or more concerned for others is... silly.

I was just trying to throw out a few ideas of how to get OW cars that are collecting dust back onto the racetrack where they belong!

I hope to get an OW this year and am thinking that if I could enter two groups as you can with a tin-car it would be a much be a much greater attraction for raising the numbers on track than combining groups and offering less opportunity to play.

Gary,

Let's move on from the safety gear as it is a personal choice and covered in another thread. You have had many suggestions on how to grow the ow fields and I would like to work with you on this. As I mentioned in an earlier post I would like to target at least one race for what I will call a formula car festival. Get the SCCA racers to try conference.

Kyle,

What type of car are you looking at? I was involved with formula fords years ago and decided to get a formula super vee when I got back into racing for a number reasons. 1. I wanted a wing car 2. I wanted a aluminum tub car 3. Under $25,000.00 4. Production based engines. As long as you stay under 8500 rpms the engines will last multiple seasons. 5, Easy on tires. A set will last 4 race weekends or more.

Tim Bland
84 Anson SA4 FSV

Here's an idea to build up the OW ranks: offer OW rental cars during the driver education days. I bet a bunch of door-slammer drivers would like to do some laps in a FF or FF or OW-whatever just to see what it's like. Maybe just rent a car out to a driver for one session on a DE day? You might convert them!

I'm not aware of any OW rentals available to Conference drivers but I can, off the top of my head, think of at least eight race shops or drivers that offer door-slammer rentals. Maybe this is part of the problem?

Just food for thought. I'd hate to see the OW classes fade away.

Tim

I figure Gary was just having a rant after a few beers. Amortizing the cost of new safety equip over just a few races and then having to be a Novice again every time you decide to come back has got to be frustrating, especially when you are as solid on the track as Gary is. Just sayin that there is another group out there that if your record is clean and you write a nice letter you get a license...just saying, not judging

Any progress with getting some SV folks to commit to a race or 2? I am still working towards getting some cars with wings to come down from Calgary to Spokane this year.

I would agree the D race in Portland is high on my list for a festival, as is the Car Tender at PR, of course my personal faves are ORP and my home track at Spokane, but lets be real we need to look at the last three years results and figure out where the most cars are and target that area.......including sports racers

Greg

Thanks, Dick.

Dick Boggs.jpg

Kyle

FC is bar none the fastest you can go for the money. Check the 96VD roller for sale in SF on ApexSpeed. Combine it with one of the used pintos on the same web page and you can put together a potential front runner for 11k (14k with a runoffs motor). By front runner I mean 1:17/18s at PIR, 1:26/27s at PR, 1:45s at orp and 1:34/35s at Spokane. I know this because I did it last year in my 99 Mygale FC with 20 plus hours on the engine clock (not worn out but far from fresh). The cool thing about wings is the faster you go the more you stick.

Tim

No shiny Aluminium tub like your Anson, a really sweet car, but some of us are just tube frame guys.......I always lived in fear of balling up the mono on my 81 Tiga S2000 back in the day.....ignorance more than anything else. As for tires I used to get 3 to 4 races, 12 heat cycles plus from a set of tires, but one slick morning at PIR was apparantly rather exciting to watch, so and my wife unit laid down the 8 heat cycle law...and I quote " put the new &@#$ing tires on you idiot"...what can you do when She says you must buy more tires? Ahh love in the Autumn Years.

Greg
Greg

..... Check the 96VD roller for sale in SF on ApexSpeed. Greg

Greg,

The 1996 Van Diemen is the infamous mono-shock year (only one year). Nothing wrong with that mind you but, it takes a real 'master' to set it up properly and get it to work.

Better off with a different year VD. VD are the choice if newer then 1992. Pre 1992 you want a Reynard.

True dat mate but check out the times that the guy was running with it. With a bit of regular matinence these cars, the 96 mono shock, are fast and they are 1000's less than a 97/98/99 or newer VD. Especially since it is an ex-pro car.

Why are we both up at this time of night?

Greg, Been watching that car, and couple others. I do have a spare engine already, just needs gone through. If I ever get my shop up I can install my machine tools and rebuild the engine myself. Just a matter of time.

Here's an idea to build up the OW ranks: offer OW rental cars during the driver education days. I bet a bunch of door-slammer drivers would like to do some laps in a FF or FF or OW-whatever just to see what it's like. Maybe just rent a car out to a driver for one session on a DE day? You might convert them!

I'm not aware of any OW rentals available to Conference drivers but I can, off the top of my head, think of at least eight race shops or drivers that offer door-slammer rentals. Maybe this is part of the problem?

Just food for thought. I'd hate to see the OW classes fade away.

For Mikecolangelo Give DND Fabricating a call.(253) 435-1616 Have FC and CF for rent. Ask for Ken... If not my Crossle is for rent to the right person.

Last edited:
I have offered my CF to at least 4 different CW guys over the last few years, and all of them have declined. Mike Olsen had the key-ho-nays to do laps in the pouring rain at Bremerton last fall, and loved it! I don't expect anyone to jump in to a new car without some practice, although I personally have no issue with that.
If people would just try it, they would either be totally turned off, or competely hooked, but you'll never know unless you step up. Talk to me... or Stu, or Kenny.

Between you and JC I plan on taking one of you up on the offer, sometime this year. Then getting my own toy to play with :)

And if you come to the Mission venue......with a little notice......you could be driving a VEE quite easily. Just a phone call away!

V's at Mission are a blast, especially when they now have at leat a dozen at each event, with possibly twice that coming up at their summer V festival!

When is the summer V festival? I know my car is not a FV but it is FSV. I have never been to Mission.

Tim Bland
84 Anson FSV

Back