You check your car before the race - How about the trailer???

Greg Miller

I was under the 3 year old trailer diagnosing the brake wiring (the brake wiring was not supported over the axles and chaffed clear through on both axles) when I discovered a bigger problem. One spring bracket had both vertical tabs broken off and dangling. I don't know why I would assume the welding would be better than the wiring. See below for the failed and "good" spring brackets.
So lesson learned for me, check the trailer just like I would the race car. Structure sound, wiring good and all secured, tire pressure, brake function, lights.....
Broken Spring Bracket.jpgweld on spring bracket.jpg

Good point Greg. I haven't 'really' looked at my trailer in years other than doing a spring wash and checking tires for sidewall cracking and pressure. I need to check my wheel bearings before this week-end if there's time.

Hey Greg do not fell bad. I left Olympia at 6:45am on Thursday to go to Rose Cup with my 4.5 yr old RV trailer, that I had repacked bearings and replaced two brake assy's, in March and arrived at Portland at 5pm.

I was just north of the Kelso scales when I was flagged down that I had a problem with one of the trailer wheels.

Looked in the mirrow and saw fire and smoke, pulled over, put the fire out, waited 30 mins to cool down, went into Kelso and found a RV service place that jacked up the trailer and when we went to remove the wheel, the whole hub fell off.

Short story, replaced the the bracking plate and brakes and hub on that spindle and for safety, checked the other three and had to replace those backing plates and brakes also.

Oh ha, scored the one spindle so bad that had to replace the whole axel.

Weekend that should have cost me about $300 turned out to be over $1200.00

Bottom line, even thru you check things every few months, things can happen. new old in between.

Greg, what make of trailer? That would be very helpful to others with the same make.
I don't think the brand makes much difference, they all use the same axle hanger assemblies and rely on someone who claims to be a welder to put them together. Get that guy on a bad day and the rest is history. It is Cargomate by Forest River with 2 - 5000 lb leaf spring type axles.
Think about the force generated when you make a tight turn with 2 or more fixed axles, something has to give or slip. Hey, maybe if I put oilers on the tires :)

I was under the 3 year old trailer diagnosing the brake wiring (the brake wiring was not supported over the axles and chaffed clear through on both axles) when I discovered a bigger problem. One spring bracket had both vertical tabs broken off and dangling. I don't know why I would assume the welding would be better than the wiring. See below for the failed and "good" spring brackets.
So lesson learned for me, check the trailer just like I would the race car. Structure sound, wiring good and all secured, tire pressure, brake function, lights.....
View attachment 1024View attachment 1025

This looks like failure from fatigue, not a failure of a weld. The spring hanger is a piece of flatbar bent into the "U" shape to fit the spring eye, then welded to the trailer frame. Looks like the weld held up just fine.

I also see there is a crack forming on the "good" hanger you pictured. You might want to have that repaired.

The only good way to repair something like this is to cut the weld holding the remaining piece and have a good welder (one who can weld upside down - very difficult - gravity wants to pull the puddle of molten metal downward) replace the hanger.

As far as trailer inspection and maintenance goes, my observation over the past 24 years hanging around the paddock has been that trailers are not at the forefront of focus, the race car is (and sometimes I wonder if drivers even pay attention to their cars).

I was in line outside SIR (Pacific Raceways for you n00bs) waiting for the gate to open on a Friday before a race weekend in 1990. Another racer pulled in behind me and we were talking, and I noticed that a wheel was completely gone from one axle on his trailer.

I pointed this out to him, an his response shocked me.

This was the first he knew of it, and he had driven up from Portland!

He said, "Meh, it's somewhere between Portland and here."

Not a bit of concern that the tire, wheel, brake drum and hub may have wound up in someone's front seat!

Last edited:
"I also see there is a crack forming on the "good" hanger you pictured. You might want to have that repaired."

The picture is deceiving - the crack is where the "weld" is stuck to the frame and not stuck to the U bracket.
You are right in that the sides broke from the U bracket, but was it fatigue from the 1000 miles of use, or the fact that only the ends of the U bracket had any useful weld?

I cleaned and re-welded the 4 outer U brackets.

Back