WSP chat

westipton

I had a long and encouraging talk with a female WSP lieutenant earlier today in response to a complaint I filed with them back in March. I witnessed a trooper go around a large 4x4 that was cruising in the left lane on I-5 at about 55 while blocking a number of cars behind him. The trooper simply passed him on the right and continued on his way as if he hadn't seen this driver.
She admitted that some of their troopers don't pay enough attention to this epidemic of stupidity and rudeness, (not her words), but that they talk about this at every staff meeting and are concerned about the issue. I reminded her that the State bragged about stricter enforcement around 3 years ago, but then took down a bunch of the signs that said "slower traffic keep right", or "stay right except to pass". She claimed that she had called DOT and they said that was incorrect, to which I said "check again" because they are not being truthful. More signage is needed, not less at this point in the evolution of the clueless motorist, of which there are tens of thousands out there every day.
Bottom line is that she encouraged me, and all of us to report this behavior each time we see it until they are forced to do something about it. I told her it was currently the worst issue on the road in my opinion, and she said, "I can't disagree with your comments, and we are very aware of the problems it causes, including excessive road rage."
So please make a call everytime you have to deal with some rude idiot who is cruising in the left lane and will not move over for anyone or any reason. Sounds like they are on our side on this one, but being understaffed makes it almost impossible to deal with this problem without massive public input.

Last edited:
In Europe you would be shot.

As well as in California, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Jersey, Texas, etc.

Driving slow in the fast lane seems to be very common here in the PNW. I've lived all over the USA and this problem is far and away worse here than anywhere else. I'm assuming it's a driver education problem.

Heck, in most of the states I've listed above, you'll get run over if you're not doing at least 7 mph OVER the speed limit in the left lane!

I used to drive all over Europe on business. First trip I ever made was to England and had to drive from London to Winchester (yes, home of the Winchester Cathedral from the song). Really is beautiful and so is the little town.

Hertz gave me a Ford Cortina and my immediate thought was this S _ _ k s ! Little did I appreciate Euro cars are NOT like American cars. Got on the M3 with a posted speed limit of 70KPH. Cars were BLOWING my doors off so I picked up the pace. When I reached 135 MPH (speedo marked in KPH & MPH) I was finally flowing with the traffic (but still being passed on occasion). Never dreamed that Cortina would do it and it was ROCK solid on the road! At 135 I don't think it had much left but I was in my comfort zone on a highway any way.

Being new, I did make the FORBIDDEN error of going around a slower car on the right. The road EXPLODED with horns and waving fingers. Didn't do that again. Learned to flash the lights in the high speed lane when coming up behind a slower car. and INDEED they moved right over.

One thing that takes serious adjustment over there is the sheer velocity good drivers go through the traffic-circles at! Wow.. you better time it right.

Last edited:
Our problem over here is the arrogrance of most drivers. Half of these left lane losers are clueless, but the other half know exactly what they're doing, and obviously enjoy the game. Those are the so called 'motorists' who are causing most of the road rage. I told the Lieutenant that they usually will either flip me off or hit their brakes if I politely flash my lights. She said that happens to them as well when these dummies don't realize who is behind them! I'd love to hear that conversation - and see the size of the ticket!
Californians drive in that lane all the time, but fast. Arizona is a total mess, but the mid west from what I witnessed on our trip last summer is awesome. From Billings, Mt. to Madison, WI we witnessed fewer than 5 cars hanging in the left lane, which was such a welcome relief from the hundreds of idiots I deal with around here everyday of the week.

I love the reactions I get when I have to drive in the left lane and GO THE SPEED LIMIT! Seems people not only cant read words ("Keep to the right) but don't know their numbers either.

I love the reactions I get when I have to drive in the left lane and GO THE SPEED LIMIT! Seems people not only cant read words ("Keep to the right) but don't know their numbers either.

The number of folks towing trailers that don't realize that the TRUCK speed limit is there speed limit as well.

The number of folks camped out in the center lane when the slow lane is empty and can't be bothered to move right. I pass lots of them while in the slow lane towing my trailer at the truck speed limit.

So many idiots, not enough ammo.

You could put up a "keep right except to pass" sign every 50 yards and I don't believe it would make a difference. Every place has a driving culture, and ours says left lane camping is OK. To change that culture will take a permanent emphasis by law enforcement on ticketing offenders. I am not holding my breath, but it is good to hear that the WSP is aware of the problem.

I had the pleasure a few years back of driving an Audi A6 from Munich to Brussels. The level of heads-up driving was quite refreshing and I found myself wondering why we can't have the same here. Different culture. Cruising along easily at 120-130 all day, the only unexpected move a driver made, the only unplanned trip to the the brake I made, involved a Chevy pickup with Texas plates. Ach du lieber, pardner!

Whatever happened to that decal that we used to see on race cars?

Across the top of the windscreen, written backwards, it said "Slower traffic to the right".

I haven't seen one of those is a long time. Maybe it's time for a re-release.

That is a great idea Kenny. We could have thousands printed and give them away to all who are fed up this odd cultural phenomenon. Gee I wonder if the State would fit the bill for those? Maybe I'll call our illustrious gov and ask for her support!
Or perhaps I should get this on the news somehow. If one of the networks ran with it we might get results.

The number of folks towing trailers that don't realize that the TRUCK speed limit is there speed limit as well.
Actually, that isn't always true. The mere fact that you're towing a trailer doesn't make you a "truck" under those rules. I looked this up a few years ago and I believe there's a minimum length before you're considered a "truck" and it's pretty long. Now, chances are that anyone towing an enclosed car trailer IS long enough, but it's not a given.

There was an organization at www.lanecourtesy.org which championed the stay right except to pass issue. I had several of their bumper stickers which simply said "do the right thing, yield to faster traffic"!! Had one on my car for a while until my wife made me remove it. Something about drawing attention!

I have politely flashed headlights from time to time with very little success....they either slow down, flip me off or otherwise just continue camping -- often on cell phones!

Washington state is by far the worst of the states I have experienced.

Our problem over here is the arrogrance of most drivers. Half of these left lane losers are clueless, but the other half know exactly what they're doing, and obviously enjoy the game........

Yes they DO! Self proclaimed guardians of the road who dream of the return to 55 MPH speed limit to save the planet. They don't care about anything but themselves and their goals.

.....I had the pleasure a few years back of driving an Audi A6 from Munich to Brussels. The level of heads-up driving was quite refreshing and I found myself wondering why we can't have the same here. Different culture. Cruising along easily at 120-130 all day...

Also remember, it cost OVER $1,000 to get a drivers license in many of those country's. You are WELL TRAINED before hitting the highways! It's amazing they even allow ignorant drivers from the USA to get on the roads there without additional instruction or at least a test!

Yup, and it's that way from Scandinavia (except the Sweds, they drive at speeds about the way we do. But more courteously) to Italy. Never got on the Autobahn but did use the Autostrada in Italy a lot. This was long before the current 80 MPH speed limit. It was a blast! Wonder if anybody does the speed limit there?

Back in my days of driving over there, in some areas the passing lane was known as the "Mercedes Lane" :) With all the 200 MPH exotics around there today, I imagine they have another name for it.

Last edited:
I received my driver license renewal in the mail last week, and all I had to do was go on-line and 'swear' that I had 20/40 or better vison without glasses, and that I wasn't mentally or physically impaired. Yeah, I bet most people are real honest when they fill out that form!
The WSP gal says they only allow us to do that once, but that gives everyone 4 more years to drive even if they aren't qualified to be behind the wheel. Scary stuff, but in this goofy State it is no big suprise.
Many of the left lane losers are tree huggers perhaps, but many more are just mean spirited types who enjoy messing with other people. If you attempt to pass on the right they speed up, then course slow back down to keep you there. Most of them are so dense you can use traffic against them and move by quickly, but dealing with bozos like that everyday is such a waste of time. I heard a fellow on the radio last year arguing with Dori Monson about this issue, and he not only swore that there is no law against it, which of course there is, but that he pays his taxes and he can damn well drive in whatever lane he chooses. Dori just sighed and hung up on the guy...

I probably get the finger once a week for passing a left lane camper on the right. It honestly makes me laugh and I don't get the slightest bit worked up about it.

Something about others attempting to enforce something they have proven themselves incapable of understanding.... gotta love it.

I drove over a million miles in my own Kenworth when I was a younger man. I had the words "Move your ass" painted backwards on my front bumper so when you looked in the mirror that's all they saw. Very effective and taught me how to draft effectively.

I've taken to driving a lot more in the right lanes and leaving the weird ones to their own devices over there. It's as quick most of the time anyway, without the hassles of these goofballs.
The knucklehead in the 4x4 who prompted my compliant to begin with stayed at 55 in the left lane after the trooper passed him on the right, but when I passed him and started to move back left he naturally nailed the throttle and roared up behind me with his grill in my mirror. I waved and smiled and continued at 60 until he slowed back down. Last time I looked back he had maybe 15 cars stuck behind him and a semi on his right so no one could get around him. Getting your cheap thrills by harassing others for no logical reason, I just don't get that.

Up here ain't much different.
We give a license to people who only know how to operate a vehicle NOT HOW TO DRIVE!!!!! (sorry I was yelliing)
As for flashing your headlights......I learned the hard way not to do it to an un-marked police car. Now I am very very careful. (he was doing the speed limit, but I wanted to go faster....didn't work so well)

Back