What frequency?

FFRSpec72

Is there a set frequency range that ICSCC/IRDC uses for in car radios? UHF or VHF?

Last edited:
OK, I just want to know what frequency range I can use in for in car radio as to not interfere with conference radios or other drivers.

If you are talking about your own crew radio system, IRDC and CSCC are currently useing the VHF freq band and Mission, TC, NWMS, ORSCCA, NWSCCA use the UHF band. Do you currently have a radio system? If you are planning on getting one you can contact me and I will be glad to help.

Yes talking about crew radios, I have a bunch of radios to choose from, just need to know what band/frequency to program these for.

These are the ones I know of:

CSCC Ch. 1 154.600
CSCC Ch. 2 151.625

SCCA WQCY943
1 452.4500
2 461.5250
3 452.0000
4 452.6250
5 451.3500

TC WQCY941
1 451.4250
2 452.2250
3 452.2000
4 464.7500
5 464.6750

ORP
1 451.2875
2 451.3375
3 451.4375
4 451.5625
5 452.0375
6 462.6625

Just seems odd the the conference runs on 2 different bands, any reason for that or just history?

The radios belong to the individual clubs, not conference. I would be amazed if the FCC and the Canadian equivalent would issue licenses for the same set of frequencies to 5 different organizations at 5 widely different locations. That would take coordination.

Precisely.

The reasons are the history. And as each club is responsible for its own self-sufficiency, they have their own.

CSCC VHF freqs have been used at PIR since before my time there. So before 1984 Cascade Sports Car Club already owned, and used Wilson brand radios. They also had a number of David-Clark headsets with boom mikes, some with antennas connected for better Tx/Rx. The Wilsons (crystals for freq) were eventually phased out for Motorola SP50s (software programmable) continuing on the same VHF frequencies.

As has CSCC race operations expanded through these many years, so too have the number of radios necessary to comply with our Competition Regs, ICSCC PnP, and the service of every assistant, to the assistant's assistant. Some may believe that the land-line at PIR eases the number of radios necessary to run Cascade races, but if they were to look in each manned station, they would find a 'back-up' radio with a head set at the ready should there be catastrophic failure. At any rate, this evolution has shown the acquisition of a number of newer Icoms, to supplement the SP50s.

For a season or three, and after 'Sir' Thomas McCoy let me volunteer, I hauled those Wilsons around in a big blue box (same color as the radios) in my even uglier '63 Ford Van (it was blue too) to and from the races. This big blue box was pretty well built (Jack Banton project???), and about 4'x3'x1' and necessarily on casters for some portability. Today the CSCC radios are contained in 3 big ol' Pelican cases just for the radios. The gang chargers are in totes, and there's a number of other boxes for each brand of speaker mics, and headsets. Base station/pwr supply, spare batteries... Our race chairman requires a big truck for all of that necessary gear, and you can't just stuff this kind of gear in a container, or trailer until the next race.

But I digress kitty.jpg

Unfortunately, the well used but always reliable SP50s are becoming older, along with their battery packs, and are not software programmable to the 12.5Khz freq split that will be necessary to comply with the FCC regulations that are due to take affect 2012.

So this year the CSCC, and perhaps other clubs are deciding how to meet that FCC mandate, while maintaining their current obligations to efficient race operations.

So not only are the reasons the history, but they are destined to be the future.

organization_chart_of_service_500x330.jpg

Race commie.jpg

Last edited:
Almost all radios sold today are computer programmable. For car radios you want to stick to UHF radios as they suppress ignition noise much better than VHF and pass thru obstructions better. When you apply for licensing specify UHF frequencies. Frequencies will be assigned by the FCC. 4 channel radios are standard, for a few bucks more you get 16 channels which give you more options ( Listening to club radio networks, joining with other drivers on 'group' channels, etc).

Back