Warm off the presses. SCCA re-defines a DNF and finisher

Steve, I simply don't share your view about needing to drive under the checkers in order to have "finished".

To me, half the distance plus one lap, and then limping under the checkers, is dumb.

I'm perfectly fine with anybody simply retiring, for whatever reason, at some partial distance and receiving points relative to the full, or partial distance of other racers.

Geez, I was really hoping that people thought of me as a racer. I can't even tell you how dissapointing it was to open the latest copy of The Parnelli Adams Official Driver Rating Guide and discover that I had been downgraded from "Racer" to lowly "race organizer". I guess I just couldn't make the grade like the author. Its a shame because without having earned that critical "Racer" qualification I guess by Conference M&M's (Minimalization and Marginalization manual) it is permissible to simply ignore any factual arguments I might present and go on talking about your feelings.

I apologize, clearly I lack the credibility to comment on this so pretend I wasn't here .... yes, just like that, perfect.

Oh please. I never said you weren't a racer, I just said your arguments made it sound like you were approaching the problem from the position of a race organizer more than a racer. My feelings have never even come up, and you haven't actually included any facts (other than those of the "water is wet" variety) for me to dispute. Get off your pedestal.

Driving under a checkered flag is arbitrary. If I completed half the laps faster than a competitor, but he was able to pass under the checker at the end,
and I wasn't, then why shouldn't I finish higher than that person? But I'll compete under whatever the rules are. I just want to go fast. I also don't like
that I have to complete 1/2 the races to be eligible for a championship. That seems arbitrary, too. SCCA has similar rules. But I don't feel strongly enough
to try to convince people of this and get the rules changed. It just isn't that important (to me). I'd rather spend the time getting ready for the next racing
opportunity.

Get over the line for the checkered flag. Running.
But not necessarily pointed in the correct direction...

This is one place where Conference excels- there are strongly
held opinions on both sides, and to answer the question, we all get
to vote on it.

And then it's done. At least for a year...

t

Back