U.S.A. Formula One - the end

Richard Broadhead

Flag & Com
For those who haven't been following, the United States F1 project has come to an abrupt end... sigh

Pretty obvious from the picture that they won't make the Bahrain opener next weekend or any other in 2010

Psst, wanna buy a cheap carbon fiber tub?? No, they don't have 2 tubs. It's a composite photo.

And I'm pretty sure the 1 tub they actually have is just some cardboard with carbon fiber decals on it :)

Pretty sad all the way around. I've been following along via autosport.com for the last few months. The writing was on the wall quite awhile ago unfortunately.

I live eight minutes from USF1's shop.

My son and I became friendly with some of the staff and went indoor karting with them often.

We visited the shop and saw real people doing real work.

The sad part to me is that many of these people believed strongly in the project and made personal and literal investments to make the program work.

Clearly some sort of mismanagement has disallowed that dream to reach fruition at this time.

One of the aforementioned friends made this video of the tub in testing... Enjoy.

Last edited:
Very sad, but I do hope a comeback can be made for 2011. It just isn't right that the US doesn't have either a team or a GP for the plantest fastest and most high tech cars in a true 'world' championsip series.
You could have spared us the cornball video Kevin...

My great hope for an American team was the Cadillac LMP effort. But that was short lived too... sigh.

Okay, okay so the Corvette's dominated the GT class. But in GT I was backing the Maserati's and Aston Martin's. Corvette dominated too long to be healthy for the class. Sorta like ANYTHING Porsche's run in :)

If somebody could have convinced Obama to pump $300,000,000 in to the USA F1 effort we would have had more long term jobs then we are getting now... ! ! !

I'm still trying to understand why we can't get decent open-wheel drives for Americans like JR Hildebrand and Graham Rahal, here OR abroad.

The Doors.. "this is the end,..."

Unfortunately, the way this whole thing has played out.... I don't think this is the end. I think the end very well could end up with Mr. Anderson in court. Or possibly in front of an WMSC panel.

Despite the USF1 travesty, this is still shaping up to be a very interesting season. 4 previous champions on the grid, 4 or 5 potential championship constructors. Less than a week till the lights go out. Who's getting up at 3am with me!? ... nevermind that's why god invented DVR.

True, but it seems like drivers of that caliber (and Rahal's name, to boot) shouldn't have to actually LOOK for sponsorship; seems like organizations interested in racing sponsorship should be seeking THEM out.

Hey, cool! Missed that somehow. I've never been much of a Sarah Fisher fan (as a CART/IRL driver, anway; I always liked Katherine Legge a fair bit more), but it's completely awesome that she's found the funding for this (or Graham's found a smallish amount of personal sponsorship that she can live with) and it's smart, too, as it helps her team out with non-oval races.

Kevin, where were the folks with USF1 coming from? Were they locals moving over from the NASCAR industry? Or coming over from open wheels teams in Europe? Or both?

Hey, cool! Missed that somehow. I've never been much of a Sarah Fisher fan (as a CART/IRL driver, anway; I always liked Katherine Legge a fair bit more), but it's completely awesome that she's found the funding for this (or Graham's found a smallish amount of personal sponsorship that she can live with) and it's smart, too, as it helps her team out with non-oval races.

I'm a strong supporter of Sarah (and Ms.Legge FWIW).

My admiration is rooted in her real tenacity and professionalism.

On that note, the seat for Graham came about due to her having a heart-to-heart in the mirror after the recent Barber IRL test.

She was not fast (ovals are her comfort-zone) and knew something needed to happen.

They (Sarah Fisher Motorsports) discovered that Graham was available.

Sarah removed her 'driver' hat, put on her 'team owner' hat, approached her sponsor Dollar General and said, "I recommend we remove me from the first two road races and put Graham in."

Dollar General went for it based on her recommendation - and likely the fact that Graham won St.Pete last year... ;-)

Sarah Fisher, her husband, and her team are the real deal.

They'll always have my support and admiration.

Kevin, where were the folks with USF1 coming from? Were they locals moving over from the NASCAR industry? Or coming over from open wheels teams in Europe? Or both?

Yes, all the above.

More than a few were folks that had moved from Yurrup, worked in NASCAR/IRL/etc. and jumped at this opportunity when it came up.

Many different backgrounds - local, national, and international - were to be found there.

Back