Transponder Location

wjwracer

I'm installing my transponder bracket and have a question: does the transponder need to be placed vertically or can it be installed horizontally? And, it there a best place for its location?

Thanks in advance.

Walt

Unless they've changed, vertically. If you look at the bottom, there's usually a little arrow imprinted into the plastic of the case. As for location, it's important that there's no metal between it and the ground and it's best if you keep it somewhere relatively cool.

Also you want it as far forward as you can get (in the event you are door to door for a win you don't want it measuring behind your rear wheels!)

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the winner (and maybe more than that) are visually spotted rather than just relying on transponder signals.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the winner (and maybe more than that) are visually spotted rather than just relying on transponder signals.

That is correct. Race winners are determined by eye balls. The Starter/Asst. Starter and usually 3 to 5 other people at the S/F line will record cars as they cross for the checker. Of course once you get deep in to the field they wll let it go to the timing/scoring record.

And YES!! The transponder MUST be pointing downwards. It's sending out a signal from it's bottom which is detected by the timing loop. Mount it someplace where it DOES NOT have to radiate through any metal parts or carbon-fiber (if you have it).

Last edited:
Another thought on location. Keep in mind that if you want folks to test that your transponder is working, put it where thy can easily reach with the test unit.

Back