Steward article

As I read this month's soapbox, it seems to say that a car passing you on the outside of the corner can turn-in as soon as he/she has half a car on you. Am I reading that correctly? And is that Conference policy? If so, what happened to leaving everyone their piece of track.

Well, I read the same article and it said a whole lot more than that including that it was impossible to predict every situation and make a rule for it, and that both the passing AND the overtaking car have a responsibility to protect each others safety. I distinctly remember a mention of each car owing the other enough room to survive the corner plus an inch at some point, or a statement very close to that. Did you skim the first couple sentences, get fired up, and sprint to the forum without finishing?

At our races there are always going to be drivers who have an incident and then debate their interpretation of who "deserves" to be given room in a corner and who "deserves" to be pinched off, forced wide, hit, spun, chrome horned, intimidated and/or wrecked. I consider myself unbelievably lucky to have avoided any major incidents so far in a fair amount of racing seasons. I attribute that to good judgement, control of my agression, and most of all racing around people who I respect, respect me, and understand that the only satisfying win is one taken cleanly from your competitors. I could give you a half dozen names right off the top of my head of drivers who were racing me hard but still looking out for me when I pulled a bonehead move and I have returned that favor to others just as many times.

The last thing I want is another rehash of the idiotic thread we had on here from a few years ago suggesting we should all paint a line on the side of our cars to indicate when a car was far enough alongside to "deserve" racing room. If you need that kind of thing, you just don't get it and are likely to be spending more time TALKING to the Steward than reading his column.

Be good to each other, protect yourself and your competitors and work for that clean pass.

As I read this month's soapbox, it seems to say that a car passing you on the outside of the corner can turn-in as soon as he/she has half a car on you. Am I reading that correctly? And is that Conference policy? If so, what happened to leaving everyone their piece of track.

Leland - I certainly did not mean that if that's how you read it. If overlap exists, both drivers owe each other racing room. It definitely wouldn't be OK to make a move as you describe. Hope that helps, Tom

Last edited:
I think I miss read which car was overtaking. If I am diving under a car, then until I have a half car or better I should expect that driver may turn-in to the apex. In practice, any time I make such a pass, I am prepared to back out up to a full overlap if I don't think that driver knows I there.

From my own experience I may not see a car that has a 1/2 overlap or less unless I have been watching my mirrors a lot. My HANS device and the seat wings prevent me from seeing much on either side of me. So the 1/2 overlap of more rule seems logical.

THis is a situation where increased safety can lead to decreased safety.

If a Hans device and seat wings keep you from seeing overtaking cars, it's time to review your safety priorities and work on the layout of your car to improve sight lines. Knowing there are cars overtaking you must protect you from harm at a level several orders of magnitude better than something like a HANS device. That is in no way a value judgement of the HANS device, it is just common sense that the best way to protect yourself in an accident is NOT to add more safety gear but rather to just avoid the accident altogether!

If you find yourself very often in situations where you don't see cars that have half overlap it indicates that you have a problem that must be corrected to insure the safety of those who race around you. Sure, we all lose someone in the mirrors occasionally but I always feel terrible when it happens even if nothing bad results. I take it as a sign that I need to refocus on the basics and make sure my concentration on situational awareness is a priority.

When you state "unless I have been watching my mirrors a lot" I feel compelled to remind you that is not something that is optional - racing in Conference requires good mirror discipline to qualify for and maintain possession of a racing license. The best required safety device in Conference is a driver who is trained, prepared, aware of those around him and actively engaged in protecting those drivers and himself. All other safety gear is designed to minimize the harm done by drivers not actively engaging themselves in the aformentioned.

.......If you find yourself very often in situations where you don't see cars that have half overlap it indicates that you have a problem that must be corrected......

I consider that a problem even in a street car going down the highway. If I cannot see a car the has a 1/4" to FULL overlap with me in the side mirrors then, I DO NOT have them adjusted properly. I don't care what is directly behind me with the side mirrors (as many people seem to do). I'm concerned about cars with an overlap. AND it only takes a 1/2 second glance to see them when I'm ready to change lanes (enter the corner).

SAME should be true when you set your 2 (or 3) with a sedan mirrors up. Or use one of those wide overhead mirrors that give you more then 180 degrees with an overhead.

Michael

Seems to me I set my HANS up with sliding tethers when I bought it to improve side to side rotation. Also I have always opted for wide angle mirrors, or wink mirrors to improve range of vision.

As for passing the overtaking driver should take responsibility for initiating a safe clean pass. Once the pass is initiated both drivers take responsibility and give each other racing room.....if only it were that simple.

This is where situational awareness steps in, and it starts when the quali times are posted. In mixed groups it is common to have "faster classes" running the same lap times (or slower) than the front runners in "slower classes". In this case the faster class cannot be passed on the straight bits and are road blocks in the corners. So if you are a fast car surrounded by slow cars on the quali sheet.......and you pass 6 cars before the first turn and 2 laps later there is a long line of slow cars behind you, at the very least you should be ready for the slow guy behind to make a brave move (because he knows that if he can park you in front of his competition he is free and clear, or if he has cars in class ahead of you pulling away he must get by). So unless you are in a battle for position in class it is time to let the drivers who are racing for position in class to have their race.

Same goes for when you are lapping slower classes. If the lapped cars are locked in battle, time your passes so as to not determine the outcome of their race. Like wise if you are being lapped make an effort not to determine the race that is coming thru, and be ready for your competion to try and sneek thru as you are letting faster traffic by.

Just a few thoughts

Thanks for the helpful advice. It's all good stuff.
I think more was read into my comment than was put into it. My point was only to lend credence to Tom's ruling that the overtaking car can reasonably expect that unless he has 1/2 overlap or more that the overtaken driver may not see him and turn in.
My comment about looking in the mirrors a lot was only meant to say that if you are in a close race with a competitor and he is weaving and bobbing behind you and you are watching your mirrors more than the track ahead, you won't be ahead of him for long.
My HANS has a the latest sliding tether but even so it limits my sideways vision some.
In any case I am glad to have kept you guys busy for awhile.

Back