Safety First?

FFRSpec72

I was amazed at this interior and all the safety gear

IMG_0024.jpg

Now this will not pass Tech.
I would write it up as non-compliant, but not sure where to start.
Roll cage, belts, fire system,wind shield ..............

This must be a test on what not to do..

Turn Left at turn one.

The Hornet class at small circle tracks typically doesn't require a lot more roll-over structure than a large piece of steel pipe welded behind the drivers seat from floor to roof. I really doesn't do anything more than make sure the rof won't come down on the driver in a roll-over.

The car shown doesn't look like a Hornet but is one of the lower classed cars at a dirt circle track. The chain link windshield designed to break up clumps of mud is a dead give away. Any kind of glass or plastic windscreen would get covered in clay mud and become completely opaque almost immediately so chain link or mesh is used as basic protection from slung clods and usually doesn't get completely obscured.

I believe that 24 hours of LeMons cars (the father/brother of the ChumpCar series in a weird inbred way) required no more safety than this originally and may still allow it as a minimum. That setup was the regular entry level local circle track setup for a long time.

Last edited:
The Hornet class at small circle tracks typically doesn't require a lot more roll-over structure than a large piece of steel pipe welded behind the drivers seat from floor to roof.

Good call, it's from a Hornet class but was running on the "road course" at Evergreen Speedway and I expect a little more safety for running on a paved surface at speeds over 60 mph where there was lots of contact and side by side racing

Last edited:
Safety costs money. Who ever is making the rules for these classes is obviously making every effort to control 'costs-in-class'.

Or their drivers are just SO tough that they don't want anybody to think that they're anything like them sissified, pretty-boy, yurapeein-style, wiggly pavement jocks.
1926 100mile sm.jpg

Hey, isn't that Olsen's car?

Sort of, but this car has more crash padding!

A couple years back while enroute to Mission, my crew chief and I were at some parking lot along I-5 and were drawn to a couple of Good Ol' Boys and their 'bump to pass' car on a trailer. Looked very similar to this one. 4" steel pipe behind the driver; steel I-beam welded in the door, outboard motor (Evinrude, I believe!) gas tank mounted inside the glass-free passenger compartment. The car was like an '80s Monte Carlo or the like. Couldn't really tell due to the effects of "racing".

We got "the look" when they asked what we were racing...we parted company and I'm sure both tow vehicles had the same conversation going on, "Can you believe those guys?"

Looked like a hoot.

I was talked into running in a Hornet race a few years ago, still wondering why I said yes. After running a session I learned that half the drivers were there to race, the other half were there to just play bumper cars. Good thing they keep them on a tight, slow road course to keep the speeds down.

Back