Rework at Pacific

Safety 3/Radio Dave

Today, Pacific Raceways has started reworking the pavment from 6-7 area to turn 9.

They are not doing a total removeal of execpting pavement, but are shaving the bad spots to include coming out of 9 and then laying new over the whole thing.

No, at this time, no plans for turn 5 area.

After all these years, this should help every one.

There will be a re-learning process. So long as those that tread there remember that their rhythm
is gonna change. But the song remains the same.

No earth-moving really took place so the gradient of T8 appears to remain in tact, at least it did as I walk it yesterday. T7 is much smoother, new pavement ends just before apex of T9 and begins again as a sizeable patch post-T9. T9 exit bumps have been reduced to "bump" (singular) as I watched the cars go through. Most cars just did 1 bump-rebound over it, but Jim Cissell's Pro3 car did several more.. might want to check those shocks settings. :tongue:

Pics from smart phone. Cropped/resized for your viewing pleasure.

It is nice to see something getting done out there. But how many years has it been now since Rockstad and Company were ousted and the Fiorito family reclaimed their track? I remember when that happened, and all the talk of things to come, the plans, the proposed use drawings, the visons for the future of Pacific Raceways.

A bunch of paddock was paved, the go kart thing was put in place, and that has been pretty much it.

For me the place hasn't really changed much in over 35 years of coming and going. Oh, and when turn 9 was revised because of the thing about wet traction compound on the dragstrip during rainy days, well, I dunno, but I never really did get used to that.

*sigh*

.......A bunch of paddock was paved.....

Yes, and we lost all the wonderful trees in the Paddock that made Pacific so charming.

P.S.
The reason for all the tree removal and paving was .... NHRA said they wouldn't come back unless that was done. And that's a valid point. They could just as easily move the Nitro show to Portland.

Yes, and we lost all the wonderful trees in the Paddock that made Pacific so charming.

I agree. The trees were always a nice touch. And that fresh pine scent. Oh!

P.S.
The reason for all the tree removal and paving was .... NHRA said they wouldn't come back unless that was done.

I remember that. Funny how threats to not return by a sanctioning body bring about dramatic changes.

And that's a valid point. They could just as easily move the Nitro show to Portland.

Seems to me that the noise issue is why there are no Top Fuel and Funny Car events anywhere in Oregon. Something about noise pollution. I really doubt that a threat by the NHRA to stop coming to Seattle and start going to Portland could have been taken seriously.

.....Seems to me that the noise issue is why there are no Top Fuel and Funny Car events anywhere in Oregon. Something about noise pollution.....

You might be right. I didn't mean a threat involving Oregon was made. Just that the NHRA has other city's they could take the tour too. One thing is a fact. Pacific Raceway counts on that NHRA weekend for a major part of their annual income.

You might be right. I didn't mean a threat involving Oregon was made. Just that the NHRA has other city's they could take the tour too.

Spokane, maybe?

One thing is a fact. Pacific Raceway counts on that NHRA weekend for a major part of their annual income.

Without a doubt.

Which leads me to wonder, how does Portland get by these days without the open wheel and sports car tour stops on their calendar? I miss the days of the Camel GT and CHAMP car series stops.

Portland has lots of non-motorsports events that help cover the costs. There have been a bunch of foot races around the west end of the facility. Bicycle races both on and off the track. Motocross in the infield. Rally stages around the back roads of the facility. Drag racing on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights. Festival of lights from Thanksgiving until New Years. Mark Wigginton has worked hard to keep the facility busy all year long. Sadly, he seems to think he is going to retire at the end of the year.

What Portland needs is a promoter to front the IRL and World Sports Car Challenge (the new ALMS I think) events. It's a most excellent series and maybe with their new leadership, they'd be more interested in coming back to the Northwest :)

http://www.imsa.com/

Or, maybe Pacific :) :)

What Portland needs is a promoter to front the IRL and World Sports Car Challenge (the new ALMS I think) events. It's a most excellent series and maybe with their new leadership, they'd be more interested in coming back to the Northwest :)

It would be nice, but if the fans don't show up and the corporate chalets aren't bought, they won't make enough money. Portland fans seem to have lost interest. If / When they will get interested again is a large unknown.

It would be nice, but if the fans don't show up and the corporate chalets aren't bought, they won't make enough money. Portland fans seem to have lost interest. If / When they will get interested again is a large unknown.

*sigh*

Apathy is going to kill our sport.

Since I retired a few years back U have been working as a truck driver, and as such have not had time to get my car into racing shape, and even if I did I am not home often enough to commit to getting to the track(s) to race. This wears on me some, as there are the new tracks in Oregon and Washington, and the Mission track is essentially a new track, having been added to and reworked some since I was last there.

So the Datsun is collecting dust in the corner of the shop.

(again) *sigh*

I always take time off from work from Christmas to December, and last year the timing was off a bit when I returned from one of my Laps of North America. There was still a few days that I could work, but not enough to take another load out and then get home in time to take the annual holiday vacation. So I asked the carrier I run for to give me some local work. They are always accommodating, and kept me busy for the last few days.

But.

My assigned truck was scheduled to go to the dealer for some service or recall work.

Even though we do not slip seat, there are always a few of the older trucks available to use, and I was given a choice of a half dozen old Peterbilt 379 models. Clapped out slag heaps to be sure. One of the runs was going to be an overnight trip, picking up a large air compressor at the container port in Tacoma, and delivering at the Intel campus in Hillsboro.

Everything was going OK, I made the pickup and made my way down to the Portland area. Found a place to park at Jubitz, climbed into the bunk and had a nap. Got up at o-dark thirty, grabbed a shower, had some breakfast and started towards the freeway.

Just as I was entering I-5 the low air buzzer started complaining.

What?

I have a crane appointment in an hour to unload a 26,000 pound air compressor!

Well the next exit was the one that one would take to get to PIR. It is my personal policy that I never stop on the freeway if I can get off when there are issues, flat tire, mechanical breakdown, whatever. So my mind is processing the situation, what to do, what to do.

Hey!

There is a race track right over there, and if the air doesn't completely run out I might just get this thing out of the way there.

So I made my way over to the entrance of the track, and was just able to get the truck and trailer off the street before the air was completely gone. Trucks use air, mostly for the brakes, but also to operate other things, like the fan clutch, the shift mechanisms in the transmissions, inter axle and axle divider locks, axle airbags, cab airbags, window regulators, wiper motors, etc. System pressure is 120 lbs, and anything under 60 lbs is not good. From the moment when the low air warning buzzer started squawking to when I got stopped in the driveway at PIR about 5 or 10 minutes had passed. There was less than 60 lbs of air left as I was backing the rig off the street, and I could feel the brakes dragging. I didn't even have to pull the brake knob out as I came to a stop, it automatically popped out and set the brakes.

Well I guess this is where I'm gonna park then!

I tried to figure out where the air was going, but could find no obvious external leaks. Since I worked on big trucks and heavy equipment for 30 years I kinda know my way around and can suss out stuff when things go awry.

Clearly the air compressor (no, not the one I was delivering!) have broken somehow.

So I call the Mothership to try and get someone out to fix this old heap. Well it is really early, the sun is still hiding out somewhere to the East behind the Rockpile Mountains, and the minions back home are still drooling on their pillows.

And I have a date with a crane.

That is a big deal because it costs a lot of money to mobilize cranes and they get real fussy when you aren't there when they are ready.

I was ultimately able to get in touch with the right people, and a mechanic was finally able to get out and begin working on the repair. Another driver for the carrier stopped by (we were delivering two of these giant compressors and he had already made his crane appointment) and left his trailer, and took mine. The mechanic was able to fill my air tanks so I could get out from under my trailer and out of the way and the other driver could hook to it and try and make the crane crew happy.

Once the mechanic figured out what was wrong (um, like I said guys, the compressor needs replaced, duh!) he pulled the dead unit off of my truck and then set out on a quest to find a replacement. Now let's remember that is is December, a few days before Christmas. It is a clear day, in fact the temperature never got above freezing all day. There are no public restrooms near the entrance to PIR. The only places to eat are on the East side of I-5, a good distance away.

So I left word with the mechanic that I was going over to Elmer's to use the facilities and have lunch.

Yes, it was now lunch time.

When I got back after a nice brisk walk, and some hot food, the mechanic was wrestling with the air compressor. Some guy came by to ask how much longer we were going to be blocking the drive way, because soon there would be lots of people arriving to go look at all the pretty lights. I would have to guess that the man was Mark Wigginton, but he did not introduce himself.

By the time the truck was ready to go, the sun was racing away to the West, trying to hide somewhere on the other side of the Pacific Ocean. An entire day wasted because of a relatively minor mechanical issue.

Well at least I was getting paid by the hour for the local work, including the waiting.

Oh, and when I got back to the yard?

My truck was still sitting there. Had I dug my heels in and refused to swap trucks I would not have had the opportunity to spend the day parked in the middle of the entrance to PIR.

Here is the sick truck, with the loaded trailer.

Truck 65 by racerx6948, on Flickr

And this is my latest truck, the one that was supposed to go to the repair shop.

Monstro At North Charleston by racerx6948, on Flickr

Back