Radios in Formula Cars

karl_seeger

Just gathering information here...

I'm looking at putting a radio in my Sports Racer, I'm looking for recommendations...

1) Close face helmet - what connector do most of you use, NASCAR or IMSA?

2) Range - for most tracks around here what power (watts) and type (UHF/VHF) would you use?

3) Antenna - It's all fiberglass so no ground plane, or do I need to make one?

4) Who to buy from - I know this is a mixed bag here, looking for good experiences....

I have been selling radio systems to racers for over thirty years and here is what most of them get.

The most common connector is the IMSA. As for frequency (type), UHF will give better coverage on 90% of the tracks on the west coast to include Thunder Hill and Miller.

Antenna, There are a couple different install locations that work very well. One is put the antenna on the top side of the roll bar and another is put it in front of the wind screen on a 6" square of sheet metal on the frame and then make a small hole in the body to allow removal of the body without messing with the antenna.

As for who to buy from, local radios will not have the equipment or expertise to handle your car/helmet needs but will have a radio.

I am local and have been doing this for years as I said. I have 90% of the equipment in stock most of the time and I deal with Icom and Vertex radios. I also work on but do not sell Motorola radios. There are also other dealers that you can buy from that also deal with just racing and are based in California, Texas Georgia and other out of state locations.

Sampson Radios in southern Ca is a supplier that a lot of people also use.

Local dealers give local support, out of state dealers give limited support.

All this is your choice.

You can contact me direct at davesenterprises@hotmail.com

Happy new year

I have been selling radio systems to racers for over thirty years and here is what most of them get.

The most common connector is the IMSA. As for frequency (type), UHF will give better coverage on 90% of the tracks on the west coast to include Thunder Hill and Miller.

Antenna, There are a couple different install locations that work very well. One is put the antenna on the top side of the roll bar and another is put it in front of the wind screen on a 6" square of sheet metal on the frame and then make a small hole in the body to allow removal of the body without messing with the antenna.

As for who to buy from, local radios will not have the equipment or expertise to handle your car/helmet needs but will have a radio.

I am local and have been doing this for years as I said. I have 90% of the equipment in stock most of the time and I deal with Icom and Vertex radios. I also work on but do not sell Motorola radios. There are also other dealers that you can buy from that also deal with just racing and are based in California, Texas Georgia and other out of state locations.

Sampson Radios in southern Ca is a supplier that a lot of people also use.

Local dealers give local support, out of state dealers give limited support.

All this is your choice.

You can contact me direct at davesenterprises@hotmail.com

Happy new year

Go with Dave, He has helped us out a few times and will treat you right.... Mark #64 Ground Pounder

......in front of the wind screen on a 6" square of sheet metal......

Okay, I can see that working but, wouldn't a sheet of copper be better, Dave??

YES, if possible go with Dave. He gives good service and he's always around the track at races. So, if you have a problem, he can help out. Although once installed and set up properly radios are usually trouble free, you never know when the odd thing will happen.

Last edited:
My car has an aluminum monocoque frame, if I mount the antenna directly to it and put a "pass-through" hole for the staff how will that work?

Back