ORP double race video thread

colin_koehler

Great SCOTT!
This is the place to see that video:

Group 5 ITA Monday forward: Thank you Jack for the help! I finally give Rick hell in the final laps!
http://www.vimeo.com/24504375
When I shorted the video it created a sync problem with the sound but it's not that bad.

Group 2 ITX Monday forward: Battle with Eric, starting in the back... Watch the flag person wave that green flag furiously!
http://www.vimeo.com/24502998
Same Audio sync issue but nothing too bad.

I was waiting for that vid from Rick's incident.

Seems like an effortless park job, huh? Off course nicely and stayed in the car until Safety-Lite got there. Then he got out, and was totally amazed, "The steering wheel just came off and fell right out of my hands! I can't believe it.", then "I'm so glad that it was out here. I think it was an Ingersol weld." (it wasn't). But we're very happy that it had occurred in a spot with good clear run-off, and he was under braking for T7. I told him, that he had been sawing on that thing for so long that it was bound to break off sometime. A great story that will become much bigger over time, as most of them do, I'm sure.

So besides the driver, it seems that the ORP will also test the meddle of your metal.

Good thing it didn't come off a little earlier in the corner. He might have found that power pole on the property line that everyone lines up on to find the turn in point for North Bowl. You know, the one with all the tire marks in the grass heading for it.

A big thank you goes to a a number of my fellow racers for helping to repair the steering shaft after qualifying and before the races.
Bert Dilley for driving his pickup down to my paddack spot with his generator.
Scott Adare for loaning a mig welder and grinder and his crew.
Hank for welding the two bits back into one.
Ron Tanner for some extra metal to strap the repair.
The Retro Racing guys for their welding helmet and a small piece of angle.
Steve Ingersoll showed up for a couple hours to watch the races. He ended dismantling and reassembling the all the bits around the steering column.
Roldan Guzman for use of his air compressor.
Ken and the flatbed for the scoop and run.

Thank you!

For those that are interested, the failure did not occur at a weld location but from a fatigued sleeve that went over the outside of the stock steering column the quick release stub.

Rick; You look so dumbfounded . Good thing there were no other cars around you and not in the corner ... Glad you were Ok., Liked the way you were using the blinker handle to steer the car LOL You and Colin are having some good racing looks like lots of fun ... [What does that yellow light mean LOL]

A big thank you goes to a a number of my fellow racers for helping to repair the steering shaft after qualifying and before the races.
Bert Dilley for driving his pickup down to my paddack spot with his generator.
Scott Adare for loaning a mig welder and grinder and his crew.
Hank for welding the two bits back into one.
Ron Tanner for some extra metal to strap the repair.
The Retro Racing guys for their welding helmet and a small piece of angle.
Steve Ingersoll showed up for a couple hours to watch the races. He ended dismantling and reassembling the all the bits around the steering column.
Roldan Guzman for use of his air compressor.
Ken and the flatbed for the scoop and run.

Thank you!

For those that are interested, the failure did not occur at a weld location but from a fatigued sleeve that went over the outside of the stock steering column the quick release stub.

Kinda sums up what Conference racing is about. Friends between checker and green flags. If you have drive home with a broken car it must have been pretty bad off.

Back