NiCad or NiMH replacement batteries - neat source found

Greg Miller

I have a couple 19.2V impact wrenches. One with a bad battery. They are discontinued from US distribution. I can buy a battery from the UK for over $100 but I can't find a replacement here.

I am about to give up and found this site http://www.battrx.com/
I confirmed that my battery case was held together with screws, took it apart and measured the cells.
Battrx has solder-less replacement cells to fit virtually any battery powered tool.

For under $50 I replace my dead 1700 mAhr cells with new 2100mAhr cells. (Note NiCad cells are 1.2VDC each - the mAHr refers to how long they last under load. More is better.)
I compared pricing with a wholesale electronics house and the cells were over $110 without the easy connections system.
For my Ryobi I will pay the price to upgrade to NiMH, since they use a different case but share the new universal charger.
But for my other tools I will buy these kits.

So just in time for the winter projects - fresh battery packs.............

Now where can I get a recharger for my body :confused:

Last edited:
Follow up. I got the kit in 3 days by express mail. It is as advertised. I bought extra connectors just in case but didn't end up using them. While the battery kit doesn't require soldering, the final connections did in my case. All you really have to remember is to start with Negative or Positive and make a series string never connecting like polarites together. There is usually a thermostat taped to a battery cell on one end or the other connecting - or + to a third terminal. But just use the existing unit as a model.
All done I plug it in my battery charger and nothing! Come to discover the old battery was shorted and it took out the fuse in the charger. I had to use the special torx wrench that came with the kit to open the case and change the fuse. ( a Radio Shack 5A slow blow 5 x 20 )
Now all is well and I have more life than it had when it was new.

If I get enough, do you think they'd start my race car?
Better yet -
Poor mans KERS system. Lets do it. I can supply the Inverter (that's what I do), we'll get a traction motor, mount it in a fake fuel cell along with a bunch of NiMh batts), timing belt drive to the input shaft on the diff, and have the fastest PRO3 launch out of the corners. :)

Back