Lost Go Pro Camera

jc_cuevas

I lost my Go Pro camera sometime and somewhere during the Sunday race (Car Tender) at Pacific Raceway. Again, I don't have the slightest idea as to where on the race track the camera and its housing departed my car. The plastic bracket on the housing simply broke, AGAIN, .................. apparently due to vibration.

This is the second time this has happened. The first time the housing flew off during a race at Mission. A turn worker found the camera and returned it to me. The same plastic bracket was the culprit. The housing cracked on impact and was unusable. I bought a replacement housing from Armadillo Racing and the the camera, surprisingly, continued working very well.

The camera does a very nice job, .............................. when it remains attached to the car.

Has anyone experienced the same problem with the Go Pro Cameras? I will write Go Pro and let everyone know their response.

If anyone knows the whereabouts of my camera, please let me know.

J.C.

JC,

You might talk to Randy Blaylock about mounting the GoPro... He has "mastered" it on his GT car and in the FM car.. solid images, stays on the car and works great

J.C. You might try the turn 6 area that you spun at. I noticed your camera earlier in the race but I looked at the pictures of the spin and I don't see it. It may have came of at the begining of the spin as you came out of 5. Maybe in the brush on drivers left.
Norm

J.C.

Mine broke in Spokane. Camera was recovered but no longer usable. I contacted GoPro and after several emails/photos/sending the camera to them, it appears that they are going to replace the camera and mount for me since it was within the one year warranty period. We shall see...

Gary

Best hurry on down to PR to look for it. This is the NHRA nationals weekend and all the haulers are already lined up waiting to get in. Not sure when load-in is for them, but once it starts, good luck getting in without a ticket...or finding a camera laying about. The event is big and I understand the racers use the entire facility as paddock area.

Good luck! (And for your sake, I hope all the videos on that thing were race related...and not racey-related!)

Hey JC. Send me your email address. I got some good pictures of you last Sunday. Mine is nsmith@pafak.com. I think Randy already sent you a few of my pics but I got some better ones for you.
Norm

J.C. You might try the turn 6 area that you spun at. I noticed your camera earlier in the race but I looked at the pictures of the spin and I don't see it. It may have came of at the begining of the spin as you came out of 5. Maybe in the brush on drivers left.
Norm

The spin was a fairly "low speed" and I doubt seriously the camera flew off during the spin. I have this thing about finding the "wet spot" on the track and other places. Oh well!!

J.C.

>>Mine broke in Spokane. Camera was recovered but no longer usable. I contacted GoPro and after several emails/photos/sending the camera to them, it appears that they are going to replace the camera and mount for me since it was within the one year warranty period. We shall see...<<

Gary:

I will also contact GoPro and I am very curious how they will respond to what appears to be a reoccurring issue with their camera case and mount. You are the 4th racer, that I know, have actually lost GoPro cameras.

My camera was just out of warranty and that should not be the criteria for either replacing the camera, considering this has happened to me twice and to you once. GoPro needs to address this issue and provide some form of customer satisfaction or reparation if they are to continue marketing their products to racers.

It is interesting to note that in their marketing and advertising, they use video footage taken from a Formula racer. I wonder how they mounted their camera on that racer.

On a Formula racer, it is impossible to mount the camera in any position where the camera could not fall off. In my opinion, it is equally impossible to eliminate the vibration that causes the camera case bracket to break and subsequently loose the camera. In a fender car, if the camera falls off the mount, you are not going to loose $250.00.

Let me know how they treat you and I will do the same.

J.C.

This may be a shot in the dark but I was watching your race from the stands about 50 yards from the kink and could have sworn something came off a car and was pushed in to the grass track left. I thought it was a piece of garbage but it was about the right size. If your going to take a walk on the track it would be worth taking a look.

JC, that car in the ads is, if I'm not mistaken, driven by the owner/founder of GoPro.. He supposedly created the camera to shoot footage from his races :)

If you could just find the camera and review the footage, you'd know where it fell off, right?

If you could just find the camera and review the footage, you'd know where it fell off, right?

.................. that's funny.

IF .......................... I were an elephant, I would use my trunk for a lot more than picking up peanuts; .................... a lot more.

This may be a shot in the dark but I was watching your race from the stands about 50 yards from the kink and could have sworn something came off a car and was pushed in to the grass track left. I thought it was a piece of garbage but it was about the right size. If your going to take a walk on the track it would be worth taking a look.

Thanks.

I am not sure if I will be able to go back to the track anytime soon.

JC,

I received a new camera and roll-bar mount yesterday. They treated me good, so I think it is worth a try for you to contact them. I contacted them via email through a link on their web site.

And, unfortunately mine stopped recording before the camera actually flew off. I was sort of looking forward to seeing that!

Gary

JC,

I received a new camera and roll-bar mount yesterday. They treated me good, so I think it is worth a try for you to contact them. I contacted them via email through a link on their web site.

And, unfortunately mine stopped recording before the camera actually flew off. I was sort of looking forward to seeing that!

Gary

Gary:

I tried to send a message through their web site and for some reason it did not work.

Which link did you use?

I am planning on calling them Monday morning.

Are you racing in Portland?

J.C.

JC,

I just went to the www.gopro.com website and filled out the form on the support page.

Maybe someone should start making gopro camera tethers. When I thought of that, I did realize that a camera flying off an open car could be a hazard. Fortunately, there is rarely anyone behind me!

I don't have any race plans - so far!

Gary

>>I just went to the www.gopro.com website and filled out the form on the support page.

Maybe someone should start making gopro camera tethers. When I thought of that, I did realize that a camera flying off an open car could be a hazard. Fortunately, there is rarely anyone behind me!<<

Gary:

I just spoke to a very nice lady, Allison, at GoPro.

They are very interested in what happened to my camera and how I lost it. They have asked me to send them photos of the broken mount and whatever information I have. They have also asked for a receipt and I don't know what I have done with the receipt. I will call Jay Ivey, perhaps they have a record of the transaction.

In regards to the tether or any thing similar, I don't recall being supplied with a tethering device. According to race officials in Canada, all cameras or recording devices must be tethered when mounted externally. I have yet to see any GoPro camera mounted with a tethering device. Has anyone seen or heard of such thing?

So far I am impressed with their willingness to listen to my problem. We will see how they handle the problem and I will let you all know on how GoPro, their customer support and tech support handles this situation.

J.C.

Back