just wanted to introduce myself

I drive by your pickup on Issaquah-Hobart on the way to work every day! Looks like you had the entire front clip off of it the other day.

Welcome to the Dark side Simon,

Nice to see you here. Working corners and talking to racers is the best way to get advice on where to run. Club Rabbit is unfortunately a class with only a few people currently running. I decided to not run CR because of my bad habbit of tweaking things, and I wanted to go faster. Pro3 is a great place to run, with a HUGE fields and lots of very close racing from the front to back of the pack. I would be there if there wasn't the sentimental history of my car.

I will agree with the others that it would be best to buy a used racecar vs. building your own. That blue car is a very nice car, and funny thing is that is has the Techtonics Tuning engine which my father had built for the car I currently run when he raced in Alaska. I have all sorts of info on that engine if you need. There is also a guy from Portland who was building a CR and decided to abandon the project for family reasons I believe. He has a very nice shell, but I am not sure if he still has it or if has been sold. Ftiller on Vortex I believe. Hank, Tyler, Brendan, Brian and myself would be more than happy to chat race cars with you.
I won't be at the Enduro this weekend, but will be in Portland and at the first Pacific race in late May, swing by and say hello!

One other piece of advice, if you are a Rabbit guy, call Hank Moore in Spokane. In addition to Brad and others, Hank is a solid Rabbit guy - you should see his Rabbit pickup - race ready (almost). Contact is probably easiest through facebook - Hank Moore, or Advanced Auto Fabrication. He's RabbitWeenie (or something like that) on this Board. ;-)

dan

I have been following the Hanks truck build on VWVortex. It looks like its coming out really nice. The Jetta I am building is similar. Its a shame there wont really be a class for me to race it in though :(

Simon,

Stop by the Adare trailer Sunday. White E30, racing in E1. Ask for me...

Dan

Dan, I will be looking for you tomorrow

I drive by your pickup on Issaquah-Hobart on the way to work every day! Looks like you had the entire front clip off of it the other day.

That car is a rust bucket that I bought for $100. We are body dropping it. My friend that lives there has all sorts of weird ideas for it... It should be all in one piece soon

My 2 cents - I'm a huge VW guy (had the silver mk4 R32 at the enduro this weekend), but I was racing in #26 miata. In addition my race car is a 944 (although last year it was two incidents on track that took me out)... I actually have posted in that rabbit posting (VW4life) and have talked to Ethan about it for awhile.

Although I'm as tempted as you to buy that car (great budget in and solid start), I think it's a tough go if you're looking for a fun run group. PRO3 and the Miata's as you mentioned have big run groups, plus are fun to run with many other models/groups. The 944 is also really fun and fairly easy to find one ready to go... PM me if you wanna pick my brain any as I didn't see this prior to the weekend so didn't chat with you.

I would LOVE to be in the Sport Touring class because I could build an A1 VW to be right at the minimum weight and with a turbo 4 banger it could be tuned to be right at the proper power to weight ratio. The biggest downside is that the car I would build would be FWD from the factory. I have a line on a factory AWD setup, firewall would stay stock, strut towers would be stock, but the rear floorpan would be "stock" not stock :) It would be all factory parts so I'm not sure how annoyed people be. I really want to build up my Jetta coupe to be my racecar, but I know a RWD would eliminate me out of all of the classes, Im hoping this would be a way for me to build a lil VW that should be able to run with the big boys and still be fairly reliable...

again the only piece of the rule book that has me worried is the floorpan. its already cut out of the car so i have to weld something back in one way or another... itd be nice if this could be a car that would fit in a class...

thoughts? suggestions?

SPU or SPM is the class for that Jetta. Plenty of competitive driving in Group 1. The only stipulation is the displacement of the engine. Rear wheel drive Jetta was once a dream of mine, but will certainly love to save my $$$ for entry fees and live vicariously through the success of your build. Keep us posted and get started. If you need any assistance, I am willing.

Good luck!

Tyler

That M5 is a good looking car. Walked past it when I was walking around taking photos. I have a 1990 535i black and seeing yours really made me want to get my'n running and looking good.

IMG_0254.jpg

SPU or SPM is the class for that Jetta. Plenty of competitive driving in Group 1. The only stipulation is the displacement of the engine. Rear wheel drive Jetta was once a dream of mine, but will certainly love to save my $$$ for entry fees and live vicariously through the success of your build. Keep us posted and get started. If you need any assistance, I am willing.

Good luck!

Tyler

a jetta with an ABA turbo mounted in the back will run in SPU or SPM? i cant find the rules for the class.

That M5 is a good looking car. Walked past it when I was walking around taking photos. I have a 1990 535i black and seeing yours really made me want to get my'n running and looking good.

i wish you wouldve taken more photos, my camera sucks and it doesnt help that i suck at taking pics... haha

heres a pic i took from turn 9 (where i was flagging)
p1010006.jpg

Yeah go check the forum on thanking people for helping. There is a photo of you in there looking at your phone. I thought about spending some time taking photos of your car. I for some reason find it almost more fun to take photos of the cars people actually drive to the track since I can shoot from good angles..that and it's not going 80mph. Your car would look really good in some black and white photos. You going to continue driving it to the track for events?

Oh and that's me n the upper left of the picture.

Back