IRDC and Honda-Tech.com both at Pacific Raceways on Sat. May 1st?

colin_koehler

Great SCOTT!
I saw this Honda Tech thread:

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2733160

Apparently there's a big NOS energy drink/Honda Tech meet that's suppose to take place at Pacific Raceways on Saturday May 1st. I already posted on the Honda Tech thread about where it's supposed to be but haven't gotten an answer. I'm curious to the logistics of it all.

If they host it in the woody area or the grassy field area, I could see it not causing us any headaches and it might be good if they see some good racing and get interested in grassroots motorsports.

I saw this Honda Tech thread:

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2733160.... If they host it in the woody area or the grassy field area, I could see it not causing us any headaches and it might be good if they see some good racing and get interested in grassroots motorsports.

Probably on the Grassy Knoll behind the fence and under the trees so it's hard to see.

But on another note. WHAT THE HECK will they be doing?? I see they have close to 100 cars signed up for this.

Sounds as though it's a show with a possible portable dyno in attendance. There are questions about speed bumps at 'that place' and comments about blurring license plates if photos are to be taken. (?) Also comments about noise and burn-outs because of the police. All very odd, but at least but they are polite and eloquent!! Too bad we can't use their colorful language on our forum!!

Last edited:
For lack of a better term this looks to be a "Rice Boi" convention. If we discover that several of them are making their way into our section of the paddock to watch our races or see what we're all about (which is good), it might not be a bad idea to keep on eye on our equipment. If this is a crowd that tells it's members to block out their VIN numbers and cover their license plates then they are already aware that several of their own "kind" are less than honest people and we should take that into consideration when leaving our expensive toys and tools out unattended.

Extra diligence may be required for signing waivers and wrist bands.
There's a few different ways into the paddock/hotpits/track from the grassy knoll, and they aren't manned.
Strictly from a **blankity blank blank** liability point of view.

For lack of a better term this looks to be a "Rice Boi" convention. If we discover that several of them are making their way into our section of the paddock to watch our races or see what we're all about (which is good), it might not be a bad idea to keep on eye on our equipment. If this is a crowd that tells it's members to block out their VIN numbers and cover their license plates then they are already aware that several of their own "kind" are less than honest people and we should take that into consideration when leaving our expensive toys and tools out unattended.

Leaning to the side of giving the benefit of the doubt here, I'll bet the blurring is due more to insurance companies keeping an eye out for their customers who take part in events that are not covered under certain auto policies. It has been brought up in other forums where the cute-lizard company among others were known to photograph such events and compare license plates to current customer databases. I'm sure it was all for the innocent protection of the consumer, of course.

I'm sure that 99% percent of the folks coming down to show off their cars to each other are fine individuals but even their community recognizes that thieves troll these type of meets for potential prospects. The reason they even mention the things they do is because the problems had in the past.

I'm not suggesting that we're going to be inundated with criminals, heck I think we might gain some new fans and generate interest in what we do. The point I was trying to make is that we often are very comfortable leaving our expensive toys/tools unguarded and it might not be the worst idea to simply raise our awareness just a tad on that Saturday.

Bad spelling eh Steve? True, but I went back and edited my mistakes.
Colin raises a good point about the security, and a watchful eye on tools and equipment is a great heads up for all of us. We can and do trust each other, but I have seen items vanish in years past when 'others' frequented our paddock area, and in one instance we chased away a couple of shady characters from a friends pit while he was on track. Different generation, different social skills, or lack thereof.

Wonder if they think they'll have access to the skid pad area to toss their 'rice boxes' around?

P.S.
Surprised none of our Honda, Miata or Nissan drivers have taken exception to the somewhat derogatory term 'rice box' :confused1:

P.P.S.
Notice the time of this post. Yes, it's very early. Heading to the DEFROST shortly. If you're desperate to be at the track, come on out and play in the corners with us.

Last edited:
Is this event listed on Pacific Raceway's schedule? Or is it just something impromptu that the Honda-Tech guys are planning? I think the entry fee will at the gate will scare them away if it is just a get together/meet.

P.S.
Surprised none of our Honda, Miata or Nissan drivers have taken exception to the somewhat derogatory term 'rice box' :confused1:

This is due to the evolution of the term. The word rice is no longer affiliated with cars that originate from Japanese countries. After all, during the late 90's the MOST American car in the country was the Honda Civic. The term "Rice" has evolved into any action in which a car is made ridiculous. Examples are: lowering it too much, silly trim pieces, neon lights, chrome trim, different colored headlights, body kits, fake parts, etc etc. Since this takes place on Fords, Chevy's, Dodge's, BMWs, Volvos...etc, it has become a far more "inclusive" term.

"Rice" is also a lifestyle, such as making a car half-undriveable (or completely undriveable for that matter) and then meeting other people who the do the same to stand around in a parking lot staring at each other's "mod's" saying things like; "Dude, that car is dumped" or "those rims are phat". This is the ricer lifestyle and the industry surrounding it is a multi-billion dollar industry.

People can call my Miata rice or something even more politically incorrect all day for I care, I'm still going to use it to make them look silly on the backside of Pacific Raceways. ;)

I know Steve, but I did find a few boo-boos with my post and felt the need to correct it! Fat, or phat fingers and typing too fast always gets me.
We as gearheads should embrace the other forms of motorsport that are out there, but these guys are like the Venus/Mars thing in my head. I can't even imagine why anyone would bother with the stuff they do. There seems to be no respect for the automobile that they are modifying/butchering, but maybe I'm just too old and set in my old traditional car ways. Be quiet Rimmer!

I know Steve, but I did find a few boo-boos with my post and felt the need to correct it! Fat, or phat fingers and typing too fast always gets me.

Wes, please be aware of the difference in meaning between the words "phat" and "fat". "Phat" has a positive connotation implying that something is cool. Fat, on the otherhand is, well, fat.

As an example in correct usage, I give you this: "Have you guys seen that totally phat blue #137 Honda CRX Si driven by that fat driver? I can't believe he lapped Jeff Clark and the rest of the Spec Miata field! Honda FTW*!"

* FTW = For The Win

Wes, please be aware of the difference in meaning between the words "phat" and "fat". "Phat" has a positive connotation implying that something is cool. Fat, on the otherhand is, well, fat.

As an example in correct usage, I give you this: "Have you guys seen that totally phat blue #137 Honda CRX Si driven by that fat driver? I can't believe he lapped Jeff Clark and the rest of the Spec Miata field! Honda FTW*!"

* FTW = For The Win

I actually LOL'd :p

Here's some non-japanese rice for y'all, and another lession:

Saab1.jpg

bmw-rice-boy.jpg

Pay attention to the wheel/tire size situation... this is called Flushness
golf_mkii.jpg

benz.jpg

667844.jpg

Wes said--"Fat, on the otherhand is, well, fat."

Maybe on YOUR other hand, pal. 'Cuz I am down wif it.

Silver/chrome tail lights. How did that kind of dumb-a$$ waist of money, ugliness ever get to be so popular? YUCK!

And since I have been forced to study nearly every year 3, and 5-series Beemer lately, I've come to the conclusion that their original trim is the best lookin' than any of the custom after market crap I've seen them adorned with. Wings belong on race cars.

Last edited:
Back