Help Legends Driver Norm Smith Help Special Olympics

Norm Smith

Pease note: If this post isn't proper for this forum please feel free to delete with no hard feelings.

I normally don't post these types of messages, but I am on the Board of Directors for Special Olympics and have a son who is one of their athletes. My son Zach has had the right side of his brain removed in 9 different surgeries since the age of 6. He has lost the use of his left arm and hand and limited use of his left leg. He is now a great young man of 23 with the spirit of a lion. He travels the world with me speaking on behalf of Special Olympics and we participate in many different fundraisers. As a father and son we asking our fellow race family for your help to raise money for this great cause. He has goaded me into this latest venture together. Every Dollar stays in Washington too!

HELP........... Help me help Special Olympics Washington. I am a race car driver, hunted dangerous game in Africa, and crashed an airplane in the African bush but I am deathly afraid of heights. Through Over The Edge I have been given the opportunity to overcome my fear of heights while raising money for this great cause. If I can raise a minimum of $1,000 I will be rappelling 514 feet off the Rainier Tower on Saturday August 14th. If I can raise $2,000 then both myself and my Special Olympics son Zach will be rappelling. We are both very excited about this. Zach promised to hold my hand while I cry like a baby at the top of the building! So please help us reach our goal and come watch us in downtown Seattle.
Thank you!

Please make a donation by visiting my FirstGiving page: http://www.firstgiving.com/normsmith

You can donate online with a credit card. All donations are secure and sent directly to SPECIAL OLYMPICS WASHINGTON by FirstGiving, who will email you a printable record of your donation.

Please send my page on to anyone who might like to donate!

Norm Smith
Legends Driver #11

Zach promised to hold my hand while I cry like a baby at the top of the building! So please help us reach our goal and come watch us in downtown Seattle.
Thank you!
Please make a donation by visiting my FirstGiving page: http://www.firstgiving.com/normsmithPlease send my page on to anyone who might like to donate!

I wanna' see Norm cry like a baby. Film! We will need film! Can we show it at the Conference Banquet this fall? ;-)

Dan

It may get better than pictures of me crying. FoxSports is talking with us about doing a father (board member)/ Son (special Olympics Athlete) segment. I used to shoot film for them a few years back. I hope we can collect the full $2,000.00 so both of us can go over the edge! Thanks for your most generous donation Dan. You are the man!
Norm

I am humbled yet again by my racing family and friends. The ground pounders put Zach and I over the edge today. Thank you to the GPDA plus all our other fellow racers for helping with this great event. We are now shceduled to go "over the edge" of the Rainier Tower on Friday the 13th as this is media day. Still working on the FSN deal but Channel 13 has already signed up to follow us around and film the event. Now I have to work on getting coached for me fear of heights.
Thansk again to one and all. It's okay to still donate too. The more the merrier!
Norm and Zach Smith

Count Ken and I in... But we need a helmet cam on you! Maybe one pointed out, and one pointed at your cryin' eyes! :)

I wont' be in town, but i'll make sure Ken is there to watch, tease, and laugh with you...

Well we did it! My son Zach and I rappeled all 514 feet off the Rainier Tower in Seattle on Friday the 13th. I rappeled solo and Zach rappeled tandem due to his not being able to use his left arm due to surgeries. I will be honest with you. Standing at the top of that building and taking those steps backwards to walk down a wall is the hardest thing I've ever done and tested my fortitude. I threw up 6 times before I went and once at the bottom afterwards. My shirt got stuck in the rappeling device abut 2/3rds of the way down and I got stuck in the air for a few minutes. Finally figured out a solution to grab the device with both hands that allowed me to finish the desent but by doing so my arms were both burnt by the heat of the device. Arms are burnt through 2 layers of skin but I couldn't feel it due to the circulation being cut off in my amr until I reached the ground and they cut my shirt off. Then I had the joy of feeling the burn. There is some video and pictures being posted on my facebook this weekend. Nothing on TV due to my lack of ability to keep my lunch down:) I am proud to say my son Zach did a lot better than his dad. He was scared but was upset that he couldn't see much during his desent due to the way they had his tied up with the trainer. He amazes me as do all the Special Olympics athletes. As insiration I used their motto yesterday. "Let me win. But if I can not win. Let me brave in the attempt." Thanks to all my racing family for your most generous donations to our cause.
Norm Smith
Legends driver #11

It was a great thing you and your son did together. Now......for the plane jump:smile:. Helmet cams and all.
Congratulations. You guys rock!!! Bob and Pam Williams.

Thank you to all the donated to help push Zach and I over the edge. To those non believers:) Yes we both rappelled all 514 feet and here is some video that my other racer son Ian Smith took of us doing our thing for Special Olympics. Let me know if you are interested in joining us for a rappel next year.
Cheers and thanks again.
Norm Smith
Legends Car #11

Back