Fuel line - flexible or hard line?

FFRSpec72

I had fuel delivery issues and found the problem but also found other problems in the fuel line routing, so I need to replace the high pressure line (running EFI) and return lines (from fuel cell to EFI fuel rails). I have hard line now (3/16 high pressure side and 1/4 return), and been looking at various other alternatives like Aeroquip AQP and some Teflon based hose. Any recommendations/experience with flexible hose (like longevity)?

Last edited:
Tony...

Can't help you much with the question of your post, but it was great seeing you at Pacific last weekend. Thank you for wearing white and working T8...hope you enjoyed the show. Say hi to Sarah for me!!

Bill-

Hard lines always better. You won't have pressure or flow variances or problems with the inner liner failing (such as collapsing). Flex lines should always be braided steel style (not fiber ). Most important is to chose a quality synthetic inner liner such as polyethylene that is high pressure and temperature rated. The hard line should be correctly sized and as continual as possible, keep fittings to a minimum and bends should be kink/pinch free and no more than 45 degrees.

Last edited:
I would also add, get good quality hard line.. Have seen some guys years ago use (shudder) copper tubing.

Tony, I am sure the ford doesn't need a lot of fuel so anything should work! Just kidding of course more Chevy ribbing to come.
I like the idea of stainless hard lines but the braided is easier to work with. A good vendor with all of the fittings is Honest Performance in Federal Way
I also want to thank you for working the corner! You got to see a lot of loose cars on 8 and even some off track driving by guys with worn out tires. I needed knobbies for the dirt I guess.

Kyle, it's going back to drag racing days. But then again, those guys complained about having to wear a helmet!

Being a plastics dork I like the PTFE (Teflon) lines. They are immensely superior to rubber cored SS lines in every performance characteristic except for flexibility. The flexibility is really only an issue if your trying to make small radius bends as they can kink. I suggest shying away from the black version of the lines as the coating even further reduces the flexibility and makes them harder to work with. See below for more detail, this is the place I buy mine from.

http://www.anfittingsdirect.com

After surviving 3 major wrecks in a Late Model I am a firm believer of both soft and hard. Hard lines where there is no crush zones and soft at the crush zones. You want the line to move with the crush so you limit the possibility of a line failing.

After surviving 3 major wrecks in a Late Model I am a firm believer of both soft and hard. Hard lines where there is no crush zones and soft at the crush zones. You want the line to move with the crush so you limit the possibility of a line failing.

+1 ^^^

Beware anyone using the blanket statement 'always'...

Back