Different idea for championship(s)

Gonna hafta disagree with ya on the novice thing. And that's a big part of the challenge of figuring out a feasible double schedule. FWIW, only 3 races count at any one particular circuit towards championships, and this year there are 14 races, meaning 7 races to qualify for a championship. 3 at PIR and 3 at PR, leaves one somewhere else.

My pie in the sky; 5 double race weekends for 10 races total, one per month.

Gonna hafta disagree with ya on the novice thing. And that's a big part of the challenge of figuring out a feasible double schedule. FWIW, only 3 races count at any one particular circuit towards championships, and this year there are 14 races, meaning 7 races to qualify for a championship. 3 at PIR and 3 at PR, leaves one somewhere else.

My pie in the sky; 5 double race weekends for 10 races total, one per month.

+1 Randy I could almost afford it them.

The novices need their seat time, and that is very important to future growth Greg. I don't see how you could combine 25 to 35 novice cars on a good week-end with senior groups of equal size. Combining practice and qualifying where possible is a great idea, as is shortening the races and having two instead of one each week-end. The special races are fun for a few, but are rarely profitable and wouldn't cause much consternation for the majority if they went away. Perhaps they could be worked in at ORP or SRP since their time limits are far more open than the other 3 tracks.
5 or 6 doubles over 5 months gives you a fighting chance for a championship or a top 3 when needing only 5 races to qualify for year end points. I see a combo of doubles and singles for a few years, which gives us ample time to iron out the wrinkles and satisfy most everyone - eventually. With that schedule we might be able to work in a few T&T's only during the season, which personally I would favor. Those of us who can't afford testing due to the long schedule could then do one or two of those, and that would afford the clubs the opportunity to keep a date that otherwise would probably be dropped. A full day of testing mid season for the price of a race week-end would make a lot of drivers happy I'd say.

I would suggest that we proceed with caution concerning revamping the ICSCC racing system. What we have is pretty good. We will never make everyone happy and will drive ourselves crazy, and probably ruin a good thing, trying to make everyone happy. On the other hand, we need to not just try to make the vocal people happy --keep in mind that there are lots of people who race with us who don't read/respond on this forum.

I would just suggest that we are careful to really explore ALL the ramifications of the changes that are proposed. Also to prioritize what is important to ICSCC. EG --our unique novice program. What are we really trying to accomplish with our racing schedule? Are we more worried about making championships available to more people or about drawing more people into our racing or more racing per weekend or more fun in our racing or ....?

What we have is good Karen, but it is not the most workable system based on the recent input of both drivers and workers. By recent I mean the last few years. We have always responded to changes slowly and carefully, including the implementation of AMB, the points revamp years ago, the worker fund, new tracks, etc. I'm sure we will this time as well, especially in regard to the novice program, but the voices are getting louder, and we need to act before we lose workers or drivers. This global econonic mess will take years to turn around, and a long drawn out season with the travel and expense it entails is not well suited to the problems many of us are already facing financially.
I have spoken with many people about this new format over the last few months, and the energy and enthusiasm from most of them was exciting to witness, but so far there has been only one response to my request for ideas and suggestions to be emailed to me so I can compile and share as we go through this season. So perhaps it's a dead end, but either way we need to carefully explore all possibilities.

"So perhaps it's a dead end, but either way we need to carefully explore all possibilities."

If it is, we can put a sign up as we leave, that others may beware, and move on.

Speaking of B-warez, cautious proceedings are always in order when you attempt to move something bigger than you are. B-where that somebody won't squish the potential of some good ideas as those patterns may morph themselves into a satisfying solution from which we may all enjoy the good long drink.

So much time, so many years lost in the humming & hahhing of attempting to study every bit of the risk out of that horrific element of any operation... change! Especially important during times when no one seems to have too much of it spare.

What is it that is in the least supply for our great sport? Is it money? Venues? Organizations? Sponsors..? Okay, thats money.

Time, sez I.

That's money too. Don't waste it.

Last edited:
Randy, thanks for the clarification on the limit of 3 races at any track.

What I am hearing is that any tinkering with the Novice program has little or no support on this blog which is fair enough I just threw it out there as an option.

On the other hand double weekends keep coming up. A home double and three or four more double weekends would be very appealing to me

Continuous improvement and open thinking will only help us as a group.
But as stated by many caution and a look back at our history is also required.

Next to new workers and volunteers, Novices are our next most important resource.

I for one am willing to give up a little something in my racing as long as we don’t mess with the novice program.
It continues to work well and that is where our next generation of racers comes from.

Real decisions happen at E-board meetings is my understanding. This forum is a non scientific straw pole at best for these matters.

We can't leave this discussion up to any E-board Lance, this needs to be discussed by the drivers and a proposal needs to be written for submission soon. It is a Conference E-board item, but they first need a proposal to discuss.

Back