CSCC Enduros

Turfer

How long should a driver be driving a car at an ICSCC enduro? Note ICSCC in the question. Or should I be asking the question of each indivdual club that invites us to enter an edurance race?

Reference the 2009 12 hour.

R

Last edited:
Why do you ask Rick? What's your opinion? I think you shouldn't be on the track, ever.

Last edited:
That question is as good as the number of times it comes up every time (year) there is a CSCC Rules Committee (as I've known it to be called) dicing around the CSCC Supp Regs for the event. And that's a lot now.

It has been based on drivers' input. And depending on the average credible skill level of that input a common time is reached.

Chris Heinrich has/had the dubious honor for 2009, and also, the CSCC 2010 Sups have been submitted very early for next year's event.

It's always a good question. And yes, it's up to the host of the race to put that in their supp.

So who's to be the judge of average credible skill level? Is that really the criteria that should be used to set a time limit?

Is it reasonable to place an average limit on all drivers?

What justification is the basis for doing so? Safety? Fairness?

It's my opinion, and I'm sure there are many that will differ, that a driver's stamina is one of many elements that can and should be a part of the race strategy.

If "we" want to get into making judgement calls about how long a driver can safely execute in the car, at some undefinable level of proficiency, that's a very, very slippery slope.

There are some drivers, if this arbitrary performance were to be universally applied, that should not be racing a car, ever.

I believe, and again I'm sure there are those that will disagree, that "we" should regulate as little as possible the elements and responsibilities that should rightly fall into the participant hands to be self-limiting.

Regarding how long a driver should be in a race car, I say as long as their stamina allows.

It is a safety criteria.

Unfortunately an individual driver may not realize their own limits until those self-assessed abilities hit a wall.

What club wants to take that chance? It's just another risk management thing, what?

Ah, "safety". If that's the benchmark, "we" should cancel racing altogether, because "we" definitely know better (than them drivers).

And ban hot coffee at the EB meetings too. What club would take the chance that someone may not realize they might get burned?

Last edited:
Ah, "safety". If that's the benchmark, we should cancel racing altogether, because we definitely know better.

And ban hot coffee at the EB meetings too. What club would take the chance that someone may not realize they might get burned?

Atta boy, keep em stirred up! :):)

Race weekend event.....One driver, one car, two different run groups.

Practice sessions for both groups, wrenching on the car between sessions if required.
Qualifying sessions for both groups, still maybe wrenching on car if all is still not right.
Next morning, qualifying sessions for both groups, last minute details to take care of, getting to grid on time....now drive/work hard for two races.

That scenerio happens a fair bit, and I believe could potentially take more out of a driver than waiting for your stint in a enduro.

(I forgot to mention the sometimes long and late night tows, with a rig, to kick the whole weekend off.)

So if it's a question about stamina........the drivers seem to manage just fine.
(and slippery slopes usually don't end well)

The end simply doesn't justify the means, because the means is being utilized to redress an end that is a hypothetical.

Not that this isn't the basis for many rules related to safety, but this particular means is overly arbitrary and subjective, and cannot be proven to mitigate the hypothetical, or in my opinion, even necessarily have a correlation drawn at all.

What I think really doesn't matter, the enduro committee will just do what they feel is best. All this here on the forum is just academic anyway.

Last edited:
I only asked because one year we have a time limit and anonther year it doesn't exist. My opinion is a time limit is not necessary.

But if we are to have time limits, it would be nice to be on the far side of the hour. For example, a 2 hour time limit would be 2 hour 10 minutes.

R

Our Enduro rules in the past have stipulated that a driver car car only be at the wheel for three hours at a time. After a half hour break he can take the wheel again. We have never run a 12 hour event so total driving time has never been addressed by our group.

R Stec
RDC Chairman
SCCBC

Up until 2009, CSCC had also stipulated a 3 hr limit with 30 minutes down time.

Since we have so many 'highly' trained, and conditioned drivers within the ranks, I suppose that issue has been made obsolete. That's pretty subjective too.

Take it one further. Allow the teams to recover their own cars in order to get them back to the paddock as they run out of gas, talent, or luck. :eek:

It's all about the team experience, eh?

I'm not in any kind of stellar, racecar-driver shape and even I can go (and have) 3 hours at a stretch without any big deal.

Let them recover their own cars

Ken, I hope you were only kidding, as the driver of E2 I would never want the team to have to get their car if something happened to it. It's bad enough when we (as a e-team) have to go on track for anything. Ron

I've always liked how the Daytona 24 treats disabled cars on track. The safety team move them at a minimum behind the wall, and usually to the paddock. Then the team can work on the car and continue. This whole thing of drivers being allowed to work on a stricken car somewhere on the side of a hot track is a noble idea, but seems antiquated, and at some point unsafe.

Are drivers still allowed to work on cars trackside?

The Fruits of Our Labo(u)r

I totally agree, show 73
Tongue-in-cheek, and facetious as I may be
I am all about that fleeting concept of Safety…
First, I believe. That’s why we’re there.
Deployed, at best locations where we might avoid a true emergency.

Daytona 24 is cool, and the ultimate test.
Of the man and machine, which is best?
Having so many options to maneuver about
With so many ‘safe havens’ inside, and out.
They operate no differently than here about.

Really

It must be nice, though. Someday I’ll get to go,
and again marshal the professionals’ show.
No less the Pro than I am today,
But truly, I say, "Apples and oranges."

And what rhymes with oranges, anyway?

Really

Okay, that was fun.

Our mission exposes our bodies, and equipment to a hot track when it's necessary. I don't think that I would be a very good Chief if I fail to recognize those situations, and employ solutions that minimizes that necessity.

Some may call it one thing, or another, but I call it Safety.

Its pretty much the same every where an enduro is run that a 3hr stint and a 30 min break is the norm..... I have no problem driving a 3hr stint , its the only way to win, Why Randys comment that Turfur shouldnt be on track is news to me Explain:confused:

Wes, do you know something we don't know or is that just your attempt at humor. I just thought it was feelings and perceptions shared by several due to past performance.

Back