Create a tribute photo page?

Bonnie

Bonnie Healy
I was reading the post about Dan Rowland, and just as happened with the post about Mike Oberholtzer, I thought ... I knew these fellows, and I can't put a face to the name! There have been so many we've lost along the way, I thought it would be nice if we could have a "Tribute" page with entries for each person that has passed away - just have their name, date we lost them, and a picture to remember them by, if someone is able to upload a picture. I'm thinking separate from the forum, as a section itself on the main page of the website. Do you think that would be possible? It would help for us grey-hairs who can't remember things anymore! Steve, I know you're trying to hand over the reins of running the website, so this is probably the last thing you want suggested, but really, I'd so love to see faces!

I think that's a great idea Bonnie, as old as this organization is we should have something to honour those who built Conference. How much of our history is written down, and how much of it resides in the memories of our members?

For my part, I'm not in any way opposed to the idea, and I even have a location on the site in mind, but:
  • Somebody other than me needs to organize the data collection.
  • Somebody needs to get the approval of the ICSCC President.
  • Without meaning to sound ghoulish, I think there needs to be a fair number of, uh, "members" of the proposed page before we put anything up. More than just a couple, anyway, which sadly sounds like a relatively low bar to meet.

Bonnie,

A photo of Dan is on its way. Diane does not have access to the web so it is coming the tried and true way, with a stamp.

Thanks guys. I have some time at work so I just did a search for Mike Oberholtzer and found his "memories" page - complete with pictures:

http://www.whidbeymemorial.com/book-of-memories/1598328/Oberholtzer-Michael-/index.php

And Paul, thank you, I've been searching for an obituary for Dan but haven't found anything.

Steve, I'm a ludite when it comes to all things computer-related, so I don't even know how to begin creating such a thing.

But say we started with Mike and Dan, and let people add names of others as they wish/think of them - a name that comes to mind for me here in the Northwest is Rick Neyedli, who died many years ago but was a loyal long-time Conference member. So you had the name, you clicked on it, and it linked to pictures, stories, obituaries, whatever ...

It seems easy for racers to provide links to their in-car videos, so would it be that difficult to upload photos?

I'm just thinking out loud here. Mike Oberholtzer's forum post has already been delegated to page 3, and it just seems sad to me that people simply disappear - I'd like somewhere to go to visit them.

Last edited:
Thanks Holly, that's lovely! I'm thinking of something even simpler, because it looks like the SCCA site requires someone to do a write-up of the person - ?

If someone could just click on the name and then add whatever they wanted - for instance, in looking for Rick Neyedli's date of death (Dec. 1/99), I discovered this lovely META newsletter tribute edition, and enjoyed re-reading it - http://meta.bc.ca/newsletters/2000/Vol.25_No.01.pdf

Brought back many memories! And a tear for the rough old bugger - :)

What came to mind when you mentioned it was a simple page with one or more rows of "mugshots," each with a name and dates under. Nothing fancy or complicated, but a simple way to put names with faces in a permanent place. (Again, this is just what sprang into my mind; it might not be what anyone else was thinking.)

As for the "how," someone (or several someones) need to collect the photos (digital only; I don't own a scanner), names, and dates (or whatever other information makes sense) and then send the results to me. I'll do the rest. After a solid start, the page can be added to down the line as necessary.

You're a sweetie, Steve, thank you. I've sent you an email with Mike Oberholtzer's info to get the page started - I was able to access a photo through his memorial page - it's not very clear, and he has a hat and sunglasses on so it's hard to see his face - Jan might have a better one, but at least this will get us started.

Once Paul gets Dan Rowland's picture, hopefully he can scan it in and we'll add him.

Then whoever wants to add someone can do so - I'll add some names from north of the border and go through my albums for pictures to scan.

Wes
Dan died July 9,2013. There was no obit only a death notice in the Vancouver Colombian. It was picked up by Kate K and Bob Gray in Olympia.

Back