Chev Monza NW race car?

transamdriver

At the Sonoma Historics last wknd. I met a racer who has a Chev Monza race car that he thinks may have been built and raced in the Pacific NW (not a Dekon) - maybe around 1980. He has found nil info so far.

Anyone remember such a car?

Robert Barg

Car was a full tube frame GT 1 type race car - deep red in colour when found in Albany OR. Only names associated were a Richard Slice from Salem who drove it on the street for a time, then moved to Mexico - car was left with a drag racer Gary Eichman.

Robert Barg

Larry Navotny (sp?) had a dark red one back in the 80's that he drove on the street, but I don't recall it being set up for racing at that point.

Kevin Malone ran something like that in conference. He got rid of it in the 96-97 time frame. Soon after he got the camaro GT1/Trans-Am car he still has.
In 1995 he was running in SPO (conference group 1), and I think it was bodied as a Cavalier, but it was a fully tube framed car like a GT1/Trans-Am, but short
wheel-base.

Didn't Kevin Malone run one in Conference? I seem to remember him passing me many times in one. G

Kevin Malone ran something like that in conference. He got rid of it in the 96-97 time frame. Soon after he got the camaro GT1/Trans-Am car he still has.
In 1995 he was running in SPO (conference group 1), and I think it was bodied as a Cavalier, but it was a fully tube framed car like a GT1/Trans-Am, but short
wheel-base.

Malone built that car from scratch. It started life as a Monza. Then he went to the junkyard and picked up a complete Cavalier (I think) car body, skinned it and used the sheet metal skin to build a unique, one of a kind car.

At one of the first Spokane races he took it over to the circle track and ran some hot laps with it. The local boys were very impressed, and wanted him to run some heat races, and try for a main.

I think he declined.

Having a one of a kind body it would not have gone so well rubbin' door handles with them Good 'Ole Boys.

Last edited:
Back