Carnage at PIR this past weekend???

Bill Bonsell

Question has been posted over at specmiata.com regarding this past weekends racing at Portland. Since I am not sure how many Conference racers visit the above website, wondering if anyone can provide info confirming the "carnage" and provide results for the Group 2 race if possible. I know...I should have been there myself, but didn't know I would find myself unemployed as of the 9th...or make that forced into retirement!:biggrin:

Thanks.

i got video of a miata hitting a white honda/acura thing or the other way around . so many on offs i can count. thanks for in car camras no way could i rember them all.

Colin, well at least you know what the problem is now! Will your engine be ready in time for the Japanese Touring Car Challenge? I'm willing to look the other way if it says "B16" on it. ;)

Regarding contact, I guess it was different at the pointy end of the pack than where I was. My mid-pack competitors (Joe, Noriko, Frank, Duane, Volvo dude, etc.) drove pretty cleanly and we all gave each other plenty of room (thanks!!!).

@Mike: the hit was nominal. It put my back end out requiring a lot of counter steer but I couldn't find any damage or even any discernible markings on the car. My head is probably warped a bit and might need to be made "flat" again but my problem is what caused it. I think I have a crazy lean issue up top and I don't know if it's the pump/injectors/FPR/rail/etc. This lean issue is what I suspect keeps damaging my engines.

Colin, What is your fuel pressure at at high RPM? Do you have an external regulator on it?

It's all stock. I do not know what my pressure is and the Fuel pressure regulator is factory. However, I am thinking this is my problem and when I fix the head/head gasket I will then be adding a fuel pressure gauge and adjust fuel pressure regulator then I will visit a dyno to dial enough fuel to keep things safe and cool.

If you are talking about the end of the grp2 race, it was a miata ramming a Sentra (Dan Hienrich). First upgrade race for the miata and he forgot to put both feet in and he hit Dan after he lost it, hit #30 Mark Higinbothom in Turn 7 and came backwards back on the track. It was very hot and greasy and there were many other offs, bangs and yellows.

The worst carnage was in Qual when Chris Klein and miata hit the wall in back straight. He cut in too early and wasn't clear of Scott Faris 09 miata. Luckily Scott and car were not damaged and Chris was unhurt.

I watched the sentra hit the miata...he was slowing and the miata was backing onto the track...but dan wasnt sitting still. Either way its some work for both folks...

Colin, the fuel pressure is a key to good top end on Honda's. A high pressure pump and regulator is a must to keep them fed properly. They are not cheap, but neither is a burned engine!

Thank you Kyle. I think the OEM pump is good for over 60psi at all revs and stock pressure at WOT is 35-38psi. I think my problem lies in not checking the AFR on a dyno and possibly having a faulty FPR. I'll figure it out.

60 psi minimum, 100 psi is what I shoot for at a top end. Otherwise you have fuel starvation. Not sure if you can go with bigger injectors in your class, but the fuel pressure is the easier way to get the HP at the high end.

Colin, a wideband O2 sensor is really good insurance....

t

Yes and it would be even better if ITA allowed me to convert from OBD0 to OBD1. I'm going to have to do it the hard way and rely on sniffing my tail pipe or using an EGT and water temp gauge.

Kyle, is this 100 psi on a Honda? I've tuned in the past and have achieved between 12-13:1 AFR at 7200 RPMs with 41 PSI. Infact, I've been around Honda's making power both with N/A and big turbos and I've never seen 100psi being used. 550cc injectors, Walbro fuel pumps... Yes, but never 100 psi fuel pressure.

Colin cant you upgrade the o2 sensor to a newer better one? at least durring dyno runs for tuning. i havent seen 100psi used on regular fuel injection the highest ive seen is 70 but that vehicle ran better at 55psi

yes. Though I didn't check it WOT, it likely ran at about 70-80psi at high RPM. Problem I have seen is lack of pressure/flow at top end.

Granted I am not into Honda's any more. I seem to be migrating towards the Nissan's. I have heard Mazda's respond the same though.

I should note that insuring that you get total voltage at the pump and at the fuel injector are critical to run higher pressure. Often the size of the wire needs to be increased to carry a full 14 volts to insure full operation.

Last edited:
When I button it all back up I will get it tuned so that the AFR is safe at all rev ranges. If I have to replace my fuel lines, filter, pump, rail, injectors, FPR... So be it! I will make sure I get enough fuel up top.

Thanks for the advice gentlemen. I am looking forward to the JTCC.

Back