Car trailer question -

Bill Bonsell

Need to pickup a 16 foot trailer for my Miata. How beneficial would it be to have a tilt trailer vs standard open trailer. I might be able to pick up a 3 year old tilt for the cost of a new non-tilt. What appeals to me is not having to wrestle with the ramps! :)

Also, anyone have a line on a LOCAL 16 dual open trailer?

Merry Christmas everyone -

Bill

ps: Is there a special Saturday set aside when tech inspections are done and does anyone know when that day might be? Thanks -

.... ps: Is there a special Saturday set aside when tech inspections are done and does anyone know when that day might be? Thanks -

Yes, usually some time between the January "Spring Meeting" and the Enduro. No telling when it will be announced.

But then, with our superb Tech Staff, they will accomodate an Annual Tech. any time they can squeeze it in.

ALSO, some of the local prep shop staff members are 'certified' to do annual techs.

Thanks for the info. Sent email off to Spectre trailers. Does anyone know if either Jeff Clark or Doug Chase are "certified" tech inspectors for Conference?

Bill

Bill,

We purchase our trailers from 99 West Trailers.
Call Peggy, they give great deals to racers.

John Rissberger
# 10 Camaro Oregon

www.99westtrailers.com

99 West Trailers

23995 OR-99 W Newberg, OR 97132
503-537-9103|866-264-4825|503-537-9248 (fax

I have a 16' standard open trailer and if I had to do it all over again I would either get a beaver tail or tilt bed trailer. That's my opinion.

Annual tech

Bill,
I have been the Puyallup area tech inspector for Conference for some time now and will probably certified to do so again this year. I also nhave been known to visit Poulsbo on occasion so maybe we could work something out in the late winter or early spring. If not that I can be available at my shop on Saturdays with a little advance notice.

Ken Dye
D.N.D. Fabricating
10908 66th Avenue East
Puyallup, Wa 98373

(253) 435-1616

Thanks for the info guys!! I am also in the market for a tilt bed trailer soon. These are some of the companies that I found local that builds a tilt bed as well for more options. After using a uhaul trailer all last year for my lapping days I figure it is time to invest in something I can keep. The tilt bed is the only way to go after using a standard trailer.

Nick

http://www.topnotchtrailers.com/tilt-trailers.shtml

http://bulldogtrailers.com/inventory?view=detail&id=30

Also interested in a 16ft tilt bed (as small an light as posible), maybe get a better deal if we can purchace 2 or 3 together

I won't be purchasing one until around Feb-March time frame. I think I will be going for a 18ft tilt bed trailer most likely but still not 100% sure. The STI is a mid-sized car being 14.5 ft long I think the extra couple feet will really come in handy. I'll have to ask Steve Clinton to see how long his trailer is before I purchase.

Let me know when you guys plan on going ahead on a purchase and what deals you are getting and I will do the same.

Nick

A racer friend of mine has a 18 "roll back" trailer. Different from a "tilt" trailer. I am curious as to whether the angle of the tilt is more - less - or the same as it would be for a flat trailer using ramps. Since the beavertail portion is only a couple of feet, I am wondering if the approach angle is higher with the tilt. My car isn't excessively low or long in the front, but am wondering, nonetheless, if one style over the other makes for a flatter entry. Does this make sense.

Also, I know there is very little margin in trailers. Not sure if one could secure a significant discount with a multiple order. I am certainly buying a trailer in January as I have no intention of ever driving it on the street again for any purpose other than to bed some brake pads late at night!

Merry Christmas everyone ! :)

I've got the 18' Spectre. The front 2 feet is fixed, which I use for storage & a tire rack. The back 16' tilts, which is plenty for my E30 BMW, so I'm guessing that would work for a Subie.

Last edited:
I don't know if this was covered but the *reason* I did not get a tilt bed was 2 fold.

A: They were around $1000 more expensive then a standard trailer.
B: They were heavier than the standard trailer and I was towing with an Isuzu Trooper which had a 5k lb towing capacity.

So there if you have it. If anyone is asking themselves why anyone would opt for the standard vs. the Tilt the answer is Money and Weight. Ironically those 2 words are the answer to many questions asked in regards to racing.

I've been doing annual inspections for a few years. I need to get the OK again every year from IRDC's head tech inspector. I will contact him and let you know. But its more of a formality than anything else.

Jeff

I don't know if this was covered but the *reason* I did not get a tilt bed was 2 fold.

A: They were around $1000 more expensive then a standard trailer.
B: They were heavier than the standard trailer and I was towing with an Isuzu Trooper which had a 5k lb towing capacity.

So there if you have it. If anyone is asking themselves why anyone would opt for the standard vs. the Tilt the answer is Money and Weight. Ironically those 2 words are the answer to many questions asked in regards to racing.
Seems you usually pay more fore less weight when it comes to racing. :rolleyes:

Back