Big bands

westipton

Okay, so I have to share this story, because it is very cool for an older guy who remembers stuff from 'back in the day'.
I was at Bruce Boyd's this evening working on our broken club fords, and as I walked out of the shop to go home I see a black Linclon blocking the drive with 2 flat tires. The three older folks are standing there chatting with Bruce's wife Lynn, and explaining about the curb they hit a block or two up the road which landed them in his driveway.
When they saw our cars in the shop they asked if we knew Bruce McCaw, and we said well yeah, he doesn't run in our circle, but we do hang at Sovren events when time permits. Turns out the fellow behind the wheel is Fred Radke, the band leader and lead trumpeter for the Harry James band. For you youngins, that band was on a par with Tommy Dorsey and Glenn Miller in the 40's, and is obviously still around today. The big bands were all the rage in the 30's, 40's and 50's, and thank goodness they still exist in this world of mosh pits and rap.
Sweet, elegant people who were very happy to be rescued from a dark damp night. Fred hung with the car while I gave his wife and George a ride to Mercer Island, and they promised some CD's, which I can't wait to hear! So removing busted pieces from my car turned out not be such a bad night after all!
'harryjames band.com' if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
>>Sweet, elegant people who were very hapy to be rescued from a dark damp night. Fred hung with the car while I gave his wife and George a ride to Mercer Island, and they promised some CD's, which I can't wait to hear! So removing busted pieces from my car turned out not be such a bad night after all!
'harryjames band.com' if anyone is interested.<<

Wes:

That is a great story. Someday I will have to tell you when I flew The Grateful Dead around.

J.C.

Perhaps we are all getting a bit "Old and In the Way".

"But, I Will Get By", and "a little touch of gray, kind of suits you anyway."

Interesting.
We used to for special occasions when we wanted to see and
feel very nice pleasant luxury go to the Olympic Four Seasons
Hotel (in downtown Seattle), and it's Garden Court. FANCY!!
Fred Radke and his band (big band sound), featuring Gina Funes
singing, would play very nice dance music.
We'd go there when kids turned 21, or to show out of town visitors,
or just special events with just us or friends.
Around 2000 one of their martinis cost $6.95 and it was big, and strong,
and great assortment. Someone I know especially liked the chocolate
ones! Yes strong, someone I know will admit two were probably unwise!
Then $7.95, then $9.95, still felt fine and good!
About 3 years ago we took some friends there. CLOSED! - except for
schedulled catered parties.

Morale - enjoy what you have, while you have it.
You never know when it will suddenly be gone.

Hey Wes.

I know the story, but the rest of these good people would love to hear the reason that both you and Bruce have to fix your club fords

Hey Wes. I know the story, but the rest of these good people would love to hear the reason that both you and Bruce have to fix your club fords

Hmm,

Sorta picked up an over heard comment at the last Seattle race. They 'may' have decided while cruising around Mission side-by-side or nose-to-tail that they needed something to do over the winter.

Soooo... you know.. Oops.

Alright fine, ( I owe you one now Thomas), we were doing the T&T at Mission a couple of weeks back in anticipation of the pro CFDA event that week-end. Bruce's new Tiga started leaking oil, a lot of oil, and I snap spun in it in T1 while waiting for Bruce to pass so I could slot in behind and look the car over as planned.
He was right on my tail and couldn't avoid me. So his RF and my RR are 'all tore up' as they say down south. It's really not that bad, just bent A-arms and dinged wheels. Normal OW stuff when cars touch.
So now you know, not that it matters.
You need to make that verse FF, not FV fats. Geez...
Tongue now bleeding Lynn, but I left it alone - for now.

Sorry Wes... of course you are. My bad.

But it doesn't work as well that way.

They were famous racin' men from out Seattle way.
They had a boggety style that no one else could play.
They were the top guns in their craft,
But then their number came up, and they were caught in a draft.
They're in the paddock now. They're workin' frantically.
They're the boggety, boggety frugal boys of formula vee.

See what I mean?

I'm glad you guys weren't hurt. Get 'em fixed, and I'll try again later.

Bruised pocket books, but that's all. Low speed deal, and another few inches to my right and he would have missed me. They say everything happens for a reason, but what that reason may be is unknown to me.
The racing Gods were having a bad day and decided to play, and messed with two guys who now have to pay? I can't say, but hey, it's really okay.

Very nice, Wes!

The Lords of the Cosmic Jest should be well pleased with that.

Of course, Dave B. will want another Haiku

And he can certainly have one, after he delivers another case of Porter!

My verse should have thus been in 3 lines to parallel the 3 metrical phrases of Haiku, originally known as Hokku. Of course as I understand it a traditional Haiku is comprised of 17 moras in 3 phrases in the order of 5, 7 and 5 moras respectively. But since I have no idea what I just said I will stick with my one liners, even though I seem to be just a touch more poetic while wearing my black kimono jacket!

I attended a Jesuit University studying Engineering and Business Mgmt. Learned some good stuff.

But, my 3 most favorite courses were:

2 Far Eastern religious study's courses taught by Fr. Tenant Wright during which we had to write two Haiku a week about some facit of our lives (illustrated, and I can't draw). What FUN! :)

Third most favorite was Art Appreciation with a 250 questioin final exam. Got an A++ missing one answer :) But I have a hard time recognizing any of the famous paintings, sculpture or architechtural styles/edifices from antiquity today :(

Last edited:
Well, unlike a morass, which is defined as a swamp, bog or quagmire, a moras is 'a minimal unit of metrical time in quantitive verse' and apparently equal to the short syllable.
Clears that up nicely eh? Maybe RB could explain it a bit better since he was trained by Fr. Tenant Wright and is obviously the resident Haiku expert around these parts.:confused:

Back