Anyone familiar with dirtfish.com (or other rally school/events?)

Ricky from the Tri Cities autocross Club did the Groupon half off school. Here is his write up .

" Got to take the dirtfish school today. It was 1/2 day intro (4 hours). I would really recommend the school for anyone who wants to start rallying or rallycross. The school was all on dirt/mud/gravel. Started with basic techniques (e.g. left foot braking) on a skid pad, slalom, and a small rally course. 2 to 1 student-instructor ratio. Eight students total. Good amount of seat time.

The cars were supplied by the school. Group P rally cars, 2009 Subura Sti. Not many schools do that. Major modifications were suspension, roll cage, brakes and wheels/tires. Since rally tires were 15", the brakes were downsized to fit the smaller wheel.

I learned a lot today. Rallying is definitely more of an art than science. I sucked at it. My autocross habits kicked in, and really gave me a hard time. But still, I learned a lot, and unfortunately had too much fun. I spent the drive home thinking about getting an Sti...

I'll post pictures next week when I get all of them.

Dirtfish currently has Introductory pricing for their classes until the end of the month. They'll start increasing the price until then.

http://www.dirtfish.com/ "

I have been to a couple of there events, and as a bystander, I can tell you these guys go all out to make sure you have a good time AND LEARN SOME THING. A good bunch of guys to be around.

Mikepoor send me your email, dave

I took their one day school last year as a tune-up in preparation for my first stage rally (2010 Mt Hood Rally). It was fun, the cars were good (and easier to drive than expected), and the instructors were very good. It's not cheap, but I felt I got a lot of "bang for the buck". I recommend it.

And for anybody who's interested in stage rally, the 2011 Mount Hood Rally will be held on October 22. It's a fun regional event. http://mthoodrally.com/

I'll be there to crew for a team from California.

Also, I almost forgot, Primitive Racing down near Portland, OR has a 2 1/2 day rally school which focuses more on the overall stage rally racing (whereas Dirtfish is focused primarily on rally driving). Primitive's school starts with an evening of classroom instruction covering the ins and outs of stage rallies and TSD rallies, and then spends a day out on a rallycross field where students are paired up with an instructor and learn how to drive on loose surfaces. The final day is a rallycross event (basically, autocross on dirt). Lots of fun and you can use your own car (most students do) or rent a rally car. http://www.get-primitive.com/

I've taken this school, too, and also recommend it.

And this school also has a $88 course for rally co-drivers (navigators). I took that one, too. ;)

Last edited:
I just did the one day DirtFish rally class three weeks ago. A Definite must do and its about as much fun as you'll ever have in a car ! Im so hooked Im saving up for the three day now.
The only thing I would have changed is more seat time in the day, I was just relaxing and grasping this sliding sideways thing and the day was over. If you bring someone to watch they get to be part of the entire day with you, just not be in the car. Great video & pic opportunities. Fun Fun Fun !!!

Back