12H of Portland reference in 5/10 Circle Track magazine

kfyork

GoEnzo.com
Received the latest copy of Circle Track magazine today - to find the cover referencing 'Enduro Racing'

The story within covers the adventures of the crew that ran the Snapware GASS-spec stockcar.

It references their participation in the Portland race as a precursor to the 25H at Thunderhill.

Some photos from both Portland and Thunderhill accompany the article.

Pretty neat that an endurance road-racing article is front and center in a roundy-round magazine I think.

Last edited:
That's cool.

I should send them some pics and a story about our attempt the year before in Manfred's ground pounder. We only made it a few hours before the ring gear bolts sheared off in the rear end, my bad for not getting to that in prep.

Who knows, if it's dry, maybe my ground pounder may run in the limited class at the 6 hour...

Randy,
Is your avatar picture the stock car that you guys built for the 25 and wrecked it in the 12 hour in '08? Why would you be running in the limited class and not the E1 big boy class?
Isn't it a ES car?

RM

Randy,
Is your avatar picture the stock car that you guys built for the 25 and wrecked it in the 12 hour in '08? Why would you be running in the limited class and not the E1 big boy class?
Isn't it a ES car?

That's a picture of Randy's car in our regular championship season. The car we prepped for the 12 hour (as a test bed with grand ideas of running it in the 25) was anotheor ex-AC Delco series ASA car belonging to Manfred Duske. You probalby know Manfred from the 25 - he's run the silver 1970 280Z "Warhorse" there multiple times. Anyways, the ASA car we prepped for the 12 hour was never wrecked, but we did manage to break pieces of it on a fairly regular schedule that day in Portland. First an axle broke, then we sheared off the ring gear bolts. After we pulled out the quick change differential and replaced the ring gear bolts the car only lasted about another two hours before third gear lost a tooth, effectively grenading the Jerico and ending our day. We ended up running the trusty old 280Z instead, as a fall back plan. (Pitted right next to you guys, as I recall)

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the photo of the cover of the magazine. The author of that article is a long time northwest racer Jerry Boone. He raced with ICSCC back in the '80's, and has done some SCCA Vintage stuff. His wife June did most of the photography. Jerry asked me to help with the Snapware car just a few days before the 12 hour. I then got to go with the team to the 25 at Thunderhill. Neither race went as we planned, but it was a blast being a part of those races. The last I heard we are going to be at the 6hour in March. I can't wait. No snow, no snow, no snow, no..........

Dave,
Yes, I remember! That was the year we finished second and almost inherited the win from Boris Said and then lost it to that Miata.

We did pit nest to the old warhorse again and watched them change motors at our lunch buffet!

RM

Just got my issue in the mail. There are pictures with Eric Blois' BMW 325 in the shot, and a good one with the stock car and Jerold Lowe's BMW E36 widebody side by side.

Back