WTB: BMW E30 air dam

tkolbo

Tyler Kolbo Group 5 #117
I just purchased an 1987 325i and I am missing the front air dam. Any idea where i can pick one up? Are all the Pro3 cars running the last remaining ones? Any NOS available out there??

Tyler
Gp 5 FIP #117 Blue Jetta

yeah, this probably will be another Pro 3 car if the class is still running in a couple of years!!!

A lot of the PRO3 cars convert to the '88 and later front air dam assembly. Much sturdier when you put some wheels off.

Richert-Car3.jpg

Is your '87 the sport version which would have had this type originally (shown on a red street car)?

LanceFrontPlate.jpg

If so, these are hard to find. They get torn up easily. Plan to pay $200-300 for a used one.

Where might I find the 88 and newer ones? Attached is a pick of the front of my new POS:

photo.jpg

for an 88+ on, just keep an eye on Craigslist. A wrecking yard like Aurora Autowrecking in North Seattle may have one too. Or one of the PRO3 guys may see this and have an extra one for sale. Plan on spending $100-$150 depending on condition. Note on my white car that the white portion is metal and attached to the car via a number of screws and is very secure. The yellow piece is plastic and attaches with plastic clips. Some guys don't bother with the yellow plastic piece. I keep my name on mine for if/when it falls off. Which it has done a time or two. The 88+ is nice because it protects the oil cooler and also has holes for brake ducting.

Please consider these things when placing the front tow eye. We don't want the strap to smush anything, and we may not have the right wrench to dismantle the front of the car for recovery.

Rivets are the worst.

Thank you

You have the classic case of an older e30 with the front valance (aka: the cow catcher) ripped off due to curbs or someone's off-roading experience. It's a one-piece composite material so it's difficult to repair when cracked and the mounting points are plastic and generally all broken in these cars. The later model valance can easily be retrofitted to this car - with some modifcation to the front tow loops, if your car is equiped. I've done this to the Reaper as the back of the car is a 1990 but the front clip is from an '87. I've swapped in the later model valance complete with 'is' lip spoiler Lance is referring to.

They are in demand and tend to go quickly for the straight ones. I have two not-so-straight ones here in the harbor you can have.

Back