Window Rule Question?

The new Elan - NASA NP01 has closed cockpit. They are selling fast, I heard 2/3 are going to California. A friend in NorCal bought one, when I told him he couldn't race it up here because of the driver window he thought I was nuts.
Maybe we need to re-word our window rule?
http://nasaprototype.com/technical-specifications-elan-np01/

NP01RearQuarter.jpg

Gator,

ICSCC did change the rule last November through the Contest Board. Your friends car is allowed to race with us.

Dan Heinrich
Asst Race Steward

Dan, a question on classes if you don't mind. The NP01 and the soon to be Superlite Aero (http://race-car-replicas.com/superlite-aero/) are prototype style cars. I'm not sure where they would fit in a class in ICSCC. Our ST class doesn't allow tube frame race cars. Our SPU-M-O class is based on Production cars although the tube frame race cars I see in the SP class have almost zero relationship to whatever production vehicle they resemble. But the NP01 and Aero aren't based on any road going car. Even Radicals and Arial Atoms can claim they have a "road going" version. So the next class I looked at is our Sports Racers, but I'm not sure the open wheel guys would want the NP01 on the track at the same time.

In NASA both the NP01 and Aero will be able to race in the ST class, along with a dedicated NP01 spec racer class. Any thoughts on which class these cars would fit into for us?

- - - Updated - - -

Dan, a question on classes if you don't mind. The NP01 and the soon to be Superlite Aero (http://race-car-replicas.com/superlite-aero/) are prototype style cars. I'm not sure where they would fit in a class in ICSCC. Our ST class doesn't allow tube frame race cars. Our SPU-M-O class is based on Production cars although the tube frame race cars I see in the SP class have almost zero relationship to whatever production vehicle they resemble. But the NP01 and Aero aren't based on any road going car. Even Radicals and Arial Atoms can claim they have a "road going" version. So the next class I looked at is our Sports Racers, but I'm not sure the open wheel guys would want the NP01 on the track at the same time.

In NASA both the NP01 and Aero will be able to race in the ST class, along with a dedicated NP01 spec racer class. Any thoughts on which class these cars would fit into for us?

SP is a class essentially based on displacement and virtually nothing else besides an interpretation of relative safety based on weight and "open" or "closed" wheel status. I inspected a Factory Five 818 today and I believe there is an argument for that to potentially be legal as a sport racer OR an SP class car.

Not sure where you got the idea that SP cars shouldnt be tube framed?

- - - Updated - - -

SP is a class essentially based on displacement and virtually nothing else besides an interpretation of relative safety based on weight and "open" or "closed" wheel status. I inspected a Factory Five 818 today and I believe there is an argument for that to potentially be legal as a sport racer OR an SP class car.

Anyway, to your question - I would anticipate the NP01 to be classed as a Sports Racer most of the time. An argument coulld be made for SP I suppose but closed cockpit "prototype" sryle cars like the Diasio and the IMSA Buick powered car already running with us run as Sports Racers.

Last edited:

He was saying that Conference's ST class doesn't allow tube-frame cars, in contrast to NASA's ST class. Or the SPx classes.

- - - Updated - - -

He was saying that Conference's ST class doesn't allow tube-frame cars, in contrast to NASA's ST class. Or the SPx classes.

He has 2 run groups as a Sports race either 3 or 6. Great looking care with a sealed MZR motor of 185 HP and curb weight of 1550 lbs it should be interesting to see what lap times will be. The NASA spec class does not allow them to run on slicks.

I was just picking up on the "production based" thing in his post about SP, that's why I was curious. I had heard that NASA had allowed some tube framed cars into their version of ST which had a pretty polarizing effect on people discussing it in various forums! Some were delighted others pretty upset and not many didn't take one side or the other .....such is racing!

I talked to several people who had seen the NP01 in the flesh and each of them had the same initial reaction - it's a lot smaller than you expect it to be from the pictures that are out there. I think it is a cool concept and the other car from Superlight that Gator mentioned earlier is essentially a closed top LMP Challenge imitator with a GM LS powerplant - I have wanted to actually just build something like that for quite a while now.
I wonder if the NP01 has strong enough brakes and suspension components to run slicks when they are not running NASA spec races? I would think something like that might get around our local tracks pretty quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

I was just picking up on the "production based" thing in his post about SP, that's why I was curious. I had heard that NASA had allowed some tube framed cars into their version of ST which had a pretty polarizing effect on people discussing it in various forums! Some were delighted others pretty upset and not many didn't take one side or the other .....such is racing!

I talked to several people who had seen the NP01 in the flesh and each of them had the same initial reaction - it's a lot smaller than you expect it to be from the pictures that are out there. I think it is a cool concept and the other car from Superlight that Gator mentioned earlier is essentially a closed top LMP Challenge imitator with a GM LS powerplant - I have wanted to actually just build something like that for quite a while now.
I wonder if the NP01 has strong enough brakes and suspension components to run slicks when they are not running NASA spec races? I would think something like that might get around our local tracks pretty quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

Just our of curiosity - is there some reason for the double posting thing that is going on? It does it every time AND cannot be edited out. Am I doing something wrong ..... Twice?

- - - Updated - - -

Just our of curiosity - is there some reason for the double posting thing that is going on? It does it every time AND cannot be edited out. Am I doing something wrong ..... Twice?

It ain't just you... I think it's something in the vBB config for quick replies, but Alberto would be the one to investigate.

- - - Updated - - -

It aint' just you... I think it's something in the vBB config for quick replies, but Alberto would be the one to investigate.

Thanks for the replies. I hope to talk my friend into bringing his NP01 to ORP sometime. It sounds like Sports Racer is the most likely class. On the Factory Five 818 they actually make a road legal version, it sells 5x more than the race version, so it should have no problem being in SPM or O. Since I already race a Subaru the 818 is the next natural extension. I'm specing out one that is naturally aspirated which would work in NASA ST3, but not our ST because we don't allow tube frames. But now that you mention it could fit in Sports Racer that gives me another option to look at.
Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the replies. I hope to talk my friend into bringing his NP01 to ORP sometime. It sounds like Sports Racer is the most likely class. On the Factory Five 818 they actually make a road legal version, it sells 5x more than the race version, so it should have no problem being in SPM or O. Since I already race a Subaru the 818 is the next natural extension. I'm specing out one that is naturally aspirated which would work in NASA ST3, but not our ST because we don't allow tube frames. But now that you mention it could fit in Sports Racer that gives me another option to look at.
Thanks!

Back