We should all be happy for our excellent safety equipment rules after watching this

After watching J.P. Montoya crash into the jet dry truck during the Daytona 500 makes me really want us racers to be so careful when we see our Safety Workers out on a hot track.

In those days, it was that thought that being thrown (hopefully away) from the car was your best chance of survival.

Last edited:
I disagree with the whole premise! The lack of safety created a lot more "job openings" in the market and all this invasive and "mandated" safety gear is hurting the job creators!!! :mad:

I have got to stop watching cable news, it's rotting my brain. :p

I would like to point out that the video doesn't go morbid or anything to indicate the old hardcore racers depicted in the video died but many clearly are walking away (after being thrown from the car). My real point is that we are lucky these guys layed the ground work for our hobby that we all love. The video is our history as racers. Glad I am racing now!

In those days, it was that thought that being thrown (hopefully away) from the car was your best chance of survival.

Yes, that was true right up through the 1950's.

Matter of fact in 1960 while racing my MG-TD I rolled over and was indeed thrown from the car. Obviously I survived BUT the car did land on my head. Which explains why I am the way I am today.

Back