TOYO/AIM TIRE contingency for Club Spec Miata in 2012

pro7racer

This post is for all Northwest Spec Miata and Club Spec Miata owners. After talking with Ron Cortes about Toyo contingency this is what AIM Tire in Toyo came up with to help out the local Miata drivers. This is available to all SCCA as well as ICSCC Spec Miata classes that only allow a Toyo spec tire. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Oregon region is allowing Hoosier as well as Toyo tires in their regional SM class this year and would not qualify per the contingency requirements. I don't know what Northwest region is doing as far as allowed tires so they may qualify if they spec Toyo tires "only". The only class that I know that qualifies for tire contingency is Club Spec Miata. I did talk to Ron about the R888 being allowed tire in Club Spec Miata and he said that was fine since it was also a Toyo tire.

It seems to be very well thought out and it's also nice that the winner does not take all. For example there is a drawing of the first three places to determine which place receives the "AIM Certificate".

Please let the people know that don't frequent the forum about this.

Jeff,

I've attached the proposed contingency program from TOYO. The contingency
is for the Northwest SCCA Regional 2012 races as well as the ICSCC (Conference) 2012 race events.

We can ONLY offer this contingency if the Spec Miata class continues to
use the TOYO RA1 or new generation TOYO RR tire as their ONLY tire.

i.e. Keeping it as a SPEC tire.

If you will note the program is designed to spread the wealth so that not matter where they
finish everyone has a chance of winning a bit of contingency.

This program is provided ONLY through A.I.M. and our specified associate dealers.
The contingency is paid by A.I.M. and NOT TOYO Tires!

A.I.M. will provide the certificates that must be returned to A.I.M. or an appointed
A.I.M. associate dealer. The contingency certificates are not valid at any other TOYO dealer.

Please pass this along to the ICSCC Board of Directors.

Let me know if you need any more info or assistance.

Ron

View attachment 895

Hey Jeff....

The attachment is not opening up. As I can't open it up, I can't see the contingency, but any type of contingency program is appreciated. Great work on your part. Since the contingency requires Toyo to be the only tire in SM or CSM, this contingency would appear to only apply to ICSCC events. Since Oregon has a Hoosier/Toyo regional rule set for 2012, and likewise I would presume for NWR, that would appear to rule out any SCCA events from being part of this program. Which actually might help drive
some additional Miata racers to ICSCC events. That's my take on it anyway! Will look forward to reading the attachment when fixed.

Thanks again Jeff for all your hard work.

Bill-

PS: upon re-reading your post, you appear to be saying only CSM will qualify even within ICSCC. Is that your take? And if so, why would ICSCC SM not qualify? What am I missing here? Thanks again....

Last edited:
Bill,

As I understand it from this statement :

"We can ONLY offer this contingency if the Spec Miata class continues to
use the TOYO RA1 or new generation TOYO RR tire as their ONLY tire."

and talking to Ron Cortez at AIM Tire and asking about the R888 spec in CSM that he said was OK because it is a Toyo.

Also if you run CSM in Oregon or Northwest region SCCA you would be also eligible.

Give Ron the call if you like.

Jeff

Here is the file it was on Excel and I copied it to Word.

2012 North Pacific Division TOYO Contingency requirements:

Class Eligibility: Spec Miata and all variations of Spec Miata, including SM, SSM, SMT, etc.

Requirements 1) Competitor must use Toyo RA1 tires on a 4 position of the car in qualifying and the race.
2) AIM Tire decals, size 2 inches high by 16 inches long must placed on the car.
2a. Decals should be position above the front wheel well on each side.
2b. TOYO decals must be of a color in contrast to the vehicles color.
3) If the required AIM decals are not placed on the vehicle in correct location the competitor
will be ineligible for the contingency award(s).
4) Competitors must be registered with AIM prior to receiving a contingency award
4a. Only 1 registration is required per year.
> An order for TOYO tires for your Spec Miata qualifies as a registration for the current year.
5) Contingency awards (AIM DOLLARS) are based on the official finishing results of each scheduled event.
6) Competitor must correctly fill out the AIM Contingency form and attach
a copy of the official results from the host region within 90 days of the event.
6a. If the above form and results are not submitted within 90 days of the event
the contingency award is null and void for that event.
7) Contingency awards must be redeemed prior to the certificate's redeem by date.
7a. Contingency awards (aka AIM DOLLARS) not redeemed by the certificate's
redeem by date will be considered void and no replacement will be issued.

Contingency Award 1) Awards are in 'AIM Dollars' also called 'AIM Certificates'.
2) Awards are redeemable only toward the purchase of a TOYO tire.
2a. Awards are NOT transferable.
3) Awards must be redeemed prior to the expiration date on the AIM Certificate/Dollar.
4) To acquire the AIM contingency award (AIM Dollar/Cert.) the competitor MUST
provide a contingency form and official results (see 6, 6a).
5) AIM Dollars/Certs are redeemable ONLY at these Toyo Tire Suppliers:
I. AIM Tires (American International Motorsport) Sonoma, CA
and AIM's approved associate dealers.
a) Ask for a list of AIM approved associate dealers from the AIM home office.

Eligible Race groups/divisions: 1) San Francisco SCCA Regional Races.
2) Washington and Oregon SCCA Regional Races.
3) Washington and Oregon Conference Regional Races.
* Conference is ICSCC.

Ok...I was thinking that this was a more of a Conference contingency, much like the Toyo contingency for Pro3, that could apply to local SCCA as well. But, it covers many sanctioning bodies including SCCA SFR (which is Toyo only for regionals). I'm still not sure why CSM within ICSCC would qualify, but not SM within ICSCC. Will try and google AIM and place a call and maybe have my son stop by since he is down in NORCAL.

Bill-

PS

AIM / TOYO TIRES 2012 NORTH PACIFIC DIVISION SPEC MIATA CONTINGENCY PROGRAM

Finishing Position
RANDON DRAW available contingency award per finishing position
20 + starters: 1st to 3rd (1 winner)= $175.00, 4th to 15th (1 winner)= $125.00, 16th to last (1 winner)= $100.00
12-20 starters: 1st to 3rd (1 winner)= $150.00, 4th to 10th (1 winner)= $85.00, 11th to last (1 winner)= $65.00
5-12 starters: 1st to 3rd (1 winner)= $125.00, 4th to last (1 winner0= $50.00

Class Eligibility: Spec Miata and all variations of Spec Miata, including SM, SSM, SMT, etc.

Jeff...

Got off the phone with Ron at AIM in Sonoma. Great guy. Unless Conference was to institute a Toyo only spec tire for both SM and CSM in 2012, Toyo contingency money would not be available. And as long as Oregon/NWR allow both Toyo and Hoosier they would be out as well. Not sure the Oregon decision makers know that Toyo contingency money is now available directly. According to Ron, all Toyo money prior to 2012 has gone back to National with nothing trickling down to the regions. Perhaps Oregon would consider moving exclusively to Toyo for regional events which is what SFR has done in California precisely because of this new money now available.

You also can not split up the SM grid into SM/CSM/SST/ with different tires. All SM's whether CSM or not, must be exclusively on Toyos. The entire SM group must have a Toyo as the "spec" tire. No exceptions.

Bill-

As a follow up, were ICSCC to spec the Toyo RA-1's or R888's for all SM and CSM for 2012, then it is my understanding Toyo/AIM contingency money would be available. And I would be fine with that and I think most everyone else would be as well. As it stands right now, Toyo is not the spec tire for Conference for 2012 as we are also allowed to run Hoosiers as that is what SCCA Oregon has chosen to do - for now. But, in any event call Ron at AIM and confirm that all SM's regardless of Club or not, would have to have a spec Toyo tire rule for 2012.

Bill-

Two other Conference classes that use only Toyo tires are Pro3 and Honda Challenge. I'm asumming that Pro3 gets some kind of contingency money since it's such a huge and well-organized class. Not sure about Toyo bucks for the Hondas.

Last edited:
CSM is its own class with its own rules and specs ONLY TOYO tires!

Jeff

Yes, that may be true Jeff, but so long as CSM and SM (which does not have a Toyo spec requirement now) run in the same run group, contingency money is not available. Either put CSM in another run group, or move to institute a Toyo spec tire for SM within Group 2. Essentially rendering SSCA's decision moot as it relates to Conference.

Our issue is no different from SCCA where their exists different classes within SM. You can't have SST for instance spec'd to Toyo's and have SM on Hoosiers or any other tire. The rule set must be the same for all SM's within the same run group. But I refer you back to Ron at AIM as you asked of me.

Bill-

Last edited:
Bill,

My mistake. I just received an e-mail from Ron at AIM Tire and you are correct about CSM not being eligible because it runs in the some race group as SM.

Jeff

Bill,

My mistake. I just received an e-mail from Ron at AIM Tire and you are correct about CSM not being eligible because it runs in the some race group as SM.

Jeff

Jeff....
What would be the chance of actually spec'ing Toyo for all SM cars within Conference for 2012? The contingency awards sure would be nice. And they are available for every race as I understand it. It's probably too late I guess? Maybe for 2013 then.

Bill-

Back