To Pound or not to Pound??

I'll address the question about regrets on the ground pounders, if any. All is a matter of opinion, so take with a grain of salt.

As a lot of you know, I bought the first LS1 powered ASA car, because I did not want to wreck my 911. I have had zero regrets. The stock cars are fun, unique, take little effort to acllimate to, and are just a hoot to drive. They are also, surprisingly, very forgiving.

Plus, they are damn safe. In fact so much so, you get a bit of "Superman" effect in them, so be wary.

Regarding maintenance, they are certainly not maintenence free, so don't fool yourself. However, the parts are in fact inexpensive, especially when compared to Race parts being applied to Street Cars, and they are readily apparent.

Plus, if you get a ground pounder, you get a bunch of idiots that will work on your car, for free, just to make sure you make the grid. Of course that is a two way street. If your car is fine, and one of your ground pounder brethren is broke down, you are expected to pitch in and get him on track as well.

Put succinctly, I love it. Last year, I was not able to race. This year, however, we have a track that is very well suited for GT1 stuff, and intend to get a lot of seat time. (notice I use the word intend, meaning maybe yes, maybe no).

Any other GPDA members wanna chime in here?

RP

Last edited:
You could buy an already built American Sedan, and run with the AS guys. We enjoyed running with your vette at ORP last fall.
Or, I think the idea of going into ST is a good one also. The ST class is still group 4 (I think, or are they just crossing over into ITE?),
and they seem good guys to race with as well, I cetainly enjoyed racing with them at Portland in August, and I was all caught up
in their race: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LAp6o3bZT4

BTW, being of the age to have owned an driven many cars from the classic muscle car age, many, many are unibody. Unibody
cars from that era include camaro, firebird, mustang, javelin, nova. I think mustang and javelin were true, full unibody. The GMs
used a front subframe that bolted into the unibody which was everything from firewall back.

sorry for the punctuation or lack there of. i was thinking most of the cool cars from the muscle car era were all body on frame cars because you could lift the body off and the powertrain and suspension stayed behind. I guess I picked the wrong one for an example.

You just happened to hit upon a series of cars of which I own one of every fastback through and including 1970.
In fact, if I quite racing for a season or two I could afford to finish off my 65 2+2 Mustang ST race car

But all of the above are unibodies. You were probably thinking of the Chevelles, GS Buicks and GTO Pontiacs, known as the A-bodies.
They have frames and are about the same size as some Mustangs.

As for the grammar bit, when discussing rules a misplaced coma can change the meaning of an entire sentence.
I'm not trying to pick on you! Rules are just a funny thing to get "just right".

[on edit] And as kbsmith1 says, the Camaro/Firebird/later Novas are frames up front and unibody rears from the firewall back.
I remember too that the early Chevy II was really weird as the entire front was a unibody structure that looked a lot like a Falcon's
in that it was unibody section, but it bolted on at the firewall !

Last edited:
Gabe, you have to help me regardless what I drive. . . idiot.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

AS looks like a great class but I think if I am going to change cars i'm going to move to a purpose built car. I enjoy running with you guys as well and both ITE and ST are in group 4 so i'll still be around if I keep the vette.

Gabe, you have to help me regardless what I drive. . . idiot.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

AS looks like a great class but I think if I am going to change cars i'm going to move to a purpose built car. I enjoy running with you guys as well and both ITE and ST are in group 4 so i'll still be around if I keep the vette.

Keep it. ST will be like the ALMS with Bimmer's, PCars and Vette's battling it out :D

I have a very good customer running a C6 in ITE. We have discussed this at length. Ground pounder is the way to go for the best bang for the buck. A Perimeter rolling chassis are available at a very good price and parts are plentiful. You can make the car as advanced as you like to meet your budget and skill level.

We are in the stages now on building a LS3 for the C6 to get more power to move the C6 around the track faster. I have taken most of the weight out of the car but I have also spent a lot of time doing so and time is money. If we had to do it over again I am pretty sure we would do a Pounder car even though the C6 is a very nice car.

You must be working with Todd Bradish, I love that car. The LS3 sounds like a blast. Thanks for the advice.

A little off topic but. . . out of curiosity, how much benefit/detriment did you guys see from the Aero package? If I did choose to run ST I'm running close to be maxxed out on weight and power but I am not running a wing and have been toying with the idea.

He already said Bimmers...

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Back