This weekend's race at The Ridge: Kudos & Thanks to the organizers and volunteers!

mikecolangelo

This weekend's race at The Ridge: Kudos & Thanks to the organizers and volunteers!

What a great weekend! Even if I finished 11th in class (I was eleventh! :tongue: )

My understanding is that we had over 260 entries. Not bad!

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to the race organizers, helpers, and volunteers - and, as always, those people dressed in white. Great job.

And, to my fellow racers in Group 2, please accept my apologies for having my turn signal on during the ENTIRE RACE. I only found out about it afterwards. :facepalm:

Very good first effort at a new track! Rick B and crew managed to get a whole bunch of cars squeezed into the limited area, no small feat! The PROs that came from Bimmerworld (and friends) also gave the event and our club racers lots of compliments during and after their time on track.
Long live The Ridge and IRDC!

Had a great time in my first outing to The Ridge! Definitely a challenging circuit and I can see getting faster with more seat time in the future. Kudos to the track workers for dragging cars out of the soft stuff and constantly cleaning up the rocks and debris on the racing surface. With that many entries at a new track I know it had to be a lot of work but it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks to everyone for putting together another excellent venue for racing in the PNW. I look forward to watching the evolution of the facility and doing some more racing!!

Good Job by everyone involved. The Ridge will be on my next years calendar for sure. The track ownership and management team are putting together a great facility!

I appreciate the hard work and dedication of our workers and officials. This weekend was no walk in the park. Several of us racers were bemoaning the heat or the dust or the whatever... but the workers had little respite from it. Working until after 7pm on Saturday, spending all day under the sun, pulling cars out from the dust and dirt and getting to the track before some are even awake in the morning they sure "earned it" this weekend. I raise my glass to the folks in white. Every race weekend I donate to the worker fund, I try to put on a good show for them on track (I hear some of them like watching race cars!) and I do my best to not make their job more difficult than it needs to be.

And also our officials. Conatore and Crew had a busy weekend as did the folks of IRDC. They all put in long hours and I hear Mike; feat. Bruce B., put together a little jam session on Saturday night.

Cheers.

Excellent job all around by everyone. Not sure how Rick and his crew got everyone in, but it seemed to work. What a great weekend doing what we all love to do with the very best folks around. A special thanks to all the turn workers, pre-grid workers, et al. You guys make it happen for us. The vendors were terrific...loved the pizzas. Seems a win-win weekend for most everyone. Sad for those who suffered damaged race cars. Can't wait for the next Ridge event. See everyone at Pacific.

Bill-

For my first Conference event as a Driver after a 6 year absence what a HOOT! The event was well run for a first time at a brand new track (...Congratulations IRDC...), the Corner Workers were EXCEPTIONAL (...as always...), the comradery was great (...and long missed...) and I was welcomed back like an old friend.

I was there for all 3 days shaking out my “new” car and found a few “challenges” along the way. As always the people around me always offered a hand and an opinion. This is why I enjoy Conference so much and Group 6, everyone wants to race and will help to make sure everyone is on the grid.

Again Congratulations to IRDC for making this first event at The Ride so successful and easy for me, as a “new” driver. I know behind the “curtain” you had many challenges but as a participant it looked like everything was perfect, GREAT JOB!

Next year lets have a BBQ and a place where my wife/friends/anyone else can watch the fun!

Well said Colin, it was a great event and the work involved by the IRDC folks was staggering, but done quietly and very well as usual. Many people do not truly understand what it takes to put on a race event, but to organize and run an inaugural event like this one is huge.
Other than a radio glitch Saturday AM I thought the week-end went more smoothly than I figured it would, and I would also like to say thank you to Frank and Rick B. and Bruce and Linda and Deb and Scott, and so many others for busting their collective butts to make this happen! I'm ready to go there 2 or 3 times a year.

Just to make sure credit goes where credit is due - the entire group of Board members and chairpersons of the IRDC has been working for months to make sure this race went as smoothly as humanly possible for the attendees.

The current President of the IRDC, Dave Haire, laid a ton of groundwork and worked his butt off all weekend to make sure this event was a success. He deserves a majority of the credit that people have been accrediting to me.

Frank DiMiceli is the fantastically organized and personable IRDC race chair that I have had the pleasure of working with for the last three years. I have always found him so easy to work with that monumental problems just turn into things that we handle on the fly. My personal thanks to Frank for his service to the club. For those of you who haven't had a glimpse into the controlled chaos that goes into putting on a Conference race, thank your local race chair.

Scott and Debbie Morton and Ron and Bonnie Johnson do unbelievable amounts of work for the IRDC and you can't even get them to complain! Clubs run on the energy and good will of people like these. I can't even thank them for specific things as they just pick up anything that is undone, do it efficiently and silently, and mve on to the next undone thing.

The volunteers who are committed to supporting us are just so incredibly professional and humble that when I was thanking them as they came in from wherever they had been working on Sunday they acted like it was no big thing. It is a HUGE thing that corners, communicators, timing and scoring, pre-grid, registration, drivers services, and the dedicated Walt and Tim down at tech and scales volunteer their time to make our races possible. I got non-stop compliments about the volunteers this weekend. Thanks so much!

In case you didn't see them, the wine with custom labels and special openers for first place finishers were prepared by Marie Fjellanger and Bruce Boyd and came out fantastic.

Also - in case you didn't notice it, one of our own IRDC racers and, incidentally, one of the owners of the Ridge was right out there racing with us as well as circulating through the paddock to make sure we had whatever we needed to insure a successful event. That guy out there in the black stock car with the flames on it in group 4? That was Joe Manke. That guy out on the sweeper making sure the track was cleared? Also Joe. Think the track was cool this last weekend? Wait to you see the facility it is on it's way to being!

Last but not least, thanks to every one of you who came out and supported our race. We know you have lots of choices on where to spend your money and valuable time - thanks for coming out and spending it with your friends at the IRDC. It was a hot weekend and we jammed a whole lot of people into a confined space and it was the positive attitude and help from the participants that made the jigsaw fit together. I hope you had a great time and enjoyed the historic first Conference race at the Ridge.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
What a great weekend, great track, great people.
Many thanks to the owners, event organizers, volunteers and Michael (the sole paid employee) at The Ridge.
Your planning, contribution and dedication has not gone unnoticed.
We will all spread the word that The Ridge is a fabulous location to spend a racing weekend.
Thanks to everyone.
Michael and DeeAnn Lensen

Wow, what can I say that Rick and everyone else hasn't? What a fantastic weekend! I had a blast. Thanks to all our volunteers who make these events happen! I can't wait for the next race at the Ridge!

Agreed. Well said by many above... I might have been the first victim (dead motor around 2p) of the weekend and left later that night I still appreciate all your guys that made it happen.

ditto for Rick

Thanks to all of you that put so much time into making our first outing at the Ridge go so smoothly.

Additionally, thanks (evidently to Joe) for keeping the track swept. It was nice not to have the debris stay on the racing line.

Special thanks to Frank. I know he is quiet and low-key, but he was everywhere trying to keep everything organized, calm, and moving along with glitches.

And of course, thanks to those people who stood out in the meltingly-humid heat for the long days to make our racing possible.

Ditto , Ditto , Ditto to everything said. I also owe a huge thank you to the E crew for my screw up on track Sunday. Best service, support and care a girl could ever ask for.
A big thank you to all my fellow racers for the support, hugs and encouragement after my crash. Cars can be replaced, racing is racing but I was mostly upset about putting an end to Dave's chance at the Championship, We have spoken a bit since the race and he has left me humbled by his big heart and understanding. Dave you are the best example of a gentleman I've ever met !

T HAZ

I felt like a kid on Christmas morning when we drove up Eells Hill Road on Friday and I caught my first glimpse of cars coming down the corkscrew. What an amazing sight! And seeing the MANY, many cars crammed onto the pavement like [well-placed!] sardines ... just really cool. I loved the weekend - despite the heat, dust and long hours. Big kudos to IRDC for putting on such a successful first-time event. I must confess, though, I was completely knackered by the time I got home [almost midnight!] Sunday, and really grateful I had taken Monday off work so I could sleep in ... and then have an afternoon nap too! Same with Friday, I took that off so we could drive down at our leisure. From Vancouver we first had the border to deal with and a one hour wait (so we drove over to the Aldergrove crossing), then we decided to go via Port Townsend ferry so as to avoid the dreaded Seattle-Tacoma traffic nightmare ... so ---

Well, drat ... I lost the rest of what I had typed, as I guess I took too long to type my message and the system logged me out! And all that was left on autosave was what's above.

So --- so I don't know what else I had said!!! And it took a long time to say it!!!

Oh well - I'll leave it at this in case I get shut out again - congrats to IRDC, and a big thumbs up to the Ridge folks for an incredible track.

Last edited:
Ditto to all the calls for appreciation mentioned above! I never cease to be amazed at all the selfless time and effort that so many contribute so that I can enjoy some friendly competition and camaraderie on and off the track. Conference is a special group of individuals that I am proud to be a part of.

Good to see you Bonnie, thanks for making the trip. I don't know what turn you were on cause that track is so busy it's hard to check a station for more than a second or two.

Rick You say it so well!! You put into words my feelings exactly!! Thanks to everyone for there effort and coming to race with us!!

My thanks to the 260 drivers on race day. They drove slowly by timing so we could get those numbers. Transponders sometimes just don't get it! #1 Porsche knows that feeling. Looking forward to you all coming to Portland.

My thanks to the 260 drivers on race day. They drove slowly by timing so we could get those numbers. Transponders sometimes just don't get it! #1 Porsche knows that feeling. Looking forward to you all coming to Portland.

Never did find out exactly what was up with my spotty signal, nor if my real hardwired transponder worked during the final G2 race on Sunday. Thanks to everyone in Driver Services and the T&S folks for making EXTRA sure that I was getting timed. I am sure hand timing me for the 1 hour enduro was not fun.

Back