Thermoplastic Hose Clamp

Gleened from the web...

"Gates thermoplastic clamp maintains a dynamic tension so that it never needs retightening. Whenever the engine reaches operating temperture, the shrink forces of PowerGrip SB readjust to a consistent clamping force. In addition, its clamping force increases as the temperature drops below 40 degrees F, thereby tightening the connection.

Cold leaks, which normally occur when the temperature drops below 40 degrees F, are eliminated. (A must for Ice Racing?)

Installation using a heat gun is fast and easy, including hard-to-reach places. Heat-gun attachments permit installation in confining areas that would be extremely difficult to reach using a screwdriver on conventional worm-drive screw clamps. (Where are you going to plug in a heat gun at the track?)

The PowerGrip SB hose clamp features a smooth surface that won't rust, corrode, or result in cut fingers during installation. PowerGrip SB hose clamps are completely resistant to all automotive fluids including oil, antifreeze and even brake fluid.

Wider than conventional clamps, PowerGrip SB hose clamps can be positioned over the raised bead on the end of the fitting nipple - even cast metal.

PowerGrip SB clamps are readily removed with Gates' specially-designed clamp removal tool. The clamps also can be removed using a soldering iron to melt through the thermoplastic material.

Sizes are available for 1/4 through 3-1/8 inch I.D. hose."

They don't sound re-usable, and they probably cost a lot of money, too.

Last edited:
Otiker clamps boast similar characteristics but are metal rather than plastic and more widely available in a pinch (sprinkler systems use 'em too).

Last edited:
Question's

1. What is the clamping pressure of the clamp?

2. Any history of use in racing applications, ALMS, IRL, NASCAR (ugh), F1?

3. Any history of use in street applications?

4. Why are they $2.99 from Amazon or $12.18 each from V12 Auto Parts?

NOTE:
If you had to do a quick hose change in the paddock, seems this would slow things down. But, they look neat.

1. What is the clamping pressure of the clamp?Don't have exact figures, but clamping pressure is consistant around hose and the material will expand a bit with heat , but not much

2. Any history of use in racing applications, ALMS, IRL, NASCAR (ugh), F1? I have seen some use, but just starting

3. Any history of use in street applications? Lots of OEM's are going this way. Cheeper than steel clamps when mass producing cars. Good relaiability for sealing etc.

4. Why are they $2.99 from Amazon or $12.18 each from V12 Auto Parts? Supply and demand right now. I would look at the brand name on these and NOT skimp. There is too much room for cheep versions.

NAPA Seems to sell these for the $2-3 price range.

I need to re-do some of my cooling system this holiday season so was thinking about using these as there are a few places that its hard to get to with a screw driver/wrench.

Back