The everyman crapcan thread.

Top_102_Lemons-LeadDust-804px.jpgtires after.jpgView attachment 875
Here's what I mean by hard on tires.
The other pictures is the results of our first race on stickier tires. car handled good, but overloaded the tires. Second day we put on old tires and a bead came unseated in 1B at RFR. Not sure you can see it but the crown vic is behind the caprice.

here is a link to video from inside the car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqqMRWG0hJQ

Tim

Last edited:
Thanks Steve,
I think the first pic I tried to upload was too big.
I was reading the chumpcar forum and a good point was made that caused me to think. of the approx 20 people who have driven my car in a crapcan race, one is planning on going to novice program. 3 were conference drivers moving to crapcan. I am pretty sure I could find 20 conference drivers who have raced LeMons/Chump/Rat without access to any lists of who is an ICSCC license holder. So what if conference is the feeder organization and crapcar/IT-J is the destination? The numbers would support that conclusion. Maybe it's too soon to draw a statistical inference, but the numbers are piling up. Thoughts?
Tim

Hey,
We (team reversed darwin racing) have the fastest lap at Rat Race series. A 97 ford crown vic (with an automatic!)driven by 4 pre-novices. 2 of those had never been on track. I know our lap time can be beat because there was a few faster cars at the lemons race last year. Your chance at redemption is March 18th. Sure we dnf'd because of tires, but fast lap counts for something. We will be out there this year looking to go faster. and finish. Anyone else from conference planning to Rat Race?
cheers,
Tim

We are looking in to a couple of Rat races and maybe the Roll x. But the rules and fee's need to be posted. I read the Roll x and it looks to be pretty much a carbon copy of Chumpcar.
We will see as I'm still scheduling some ICSCC races also.

Todd
Formula Roadster (Chumpcar)

the rules and fee's need to be posted. I read the Roll x and it looks to be pretty much a carbon copy of Chumpcar.

Be carefull about carbon copying! When I requested permission to reference and refer RAT RACE Drivers to the rules of both Chumpcar and Lemons they refused (under threat of legal action) so rather than waste good prize money on legal defense I am largely writing my own with Conference rules as a starting point.
Last year when I asked Kevin Skinner for premision to reference Conference rules he took a more enlightened approach and granted permission to do so.
The greater the similarity of rules the easier the learning curve will be for new drivers that decide to cross over to ICSCC (some alreafy have).
Only a very few changes are needed to adapt to the slightly different realities of these kinds of events, but basically that is how they are being developed and should be available shortly.
For further information please see the commercial posts section of the forum.
Bill Murray

Rat Race was a blast. All the cars had either run chump, lemons, or conference and didn't have to make mods to the cars to match the rule set. They didn't even have a tire rule set for the first race because they didn't want any teams to have to buy new tires (or perhaps they forgot and that was the cover story?) Anyhow, there's no reasonable explanation for a 3700 lb car driven by a newbie to set fast lap. We DNF'd and had a little agricultural moment at the 6 hour mark. BUT, the podium cars got trophy's carved out of blocks of cheese and there was one cash award sponsored by the dirt cheap rally. Guess who went home with the dirtiest car award and the cash baby! There are a few possible explanations: beginners luck, we are on a mission from God and he's helping us, or it's the beginning of a win streak for overweight american cans with automatics on tracks with teeny straights! We got an email from some team in a sweedish car that's looking to take away the fast lap title and a block of cheese! Love to see the roadster Rat Racing.
:)
Tim

Last edited:
There have been some changes in CCWS on roll cage specs. Leaning more towards to IT cages now. Anything over 8 point of attachment will get you a penalty. They are trying to keep the cost low and simple for the techs to be able to tech the cars. If you bring another car out from another series or type of racing be prepared for some additional laps if it does not meet the specs.

The RAT RACE Series is going even deeper to save you money....... Tread ratings at 300 or harder. You can run a softer tire but it may cost you lap assessment. The side benefit is that the crap-can tires also limit the value of those really expensive brakes and align the talent to expense ratio.
Here is a hot tip: If you are thinking about running with us sometime this year, go to motorsportsreg.com and register your team for the series, that way the number on your car is protected and you won't be trying to come up with contact paper and tape at the track because some four wheeled slime mobile from the oil pit lagoon has your number.

Bill Murray 05
503-358-2617

Thanks Bill for the heads up on the tire wear. We run the 200 tread wear Star Specs. We have also run the DZ101 (300tw) and it really didn't slow the car down much and they are about $35ea cheaper.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the rules and entry costs.

Cheers!
Todd

Back