TC - ORP meal band program 140 total available for sale

Peter Belfanti

ICSCC racers.

TC will be bringing back an expanded version of our Meal Band program from last year. One of our key leanings was the challenges created by late entries wanting meal bands. So we would like everyone to know the following..

Key things to know..

Only 140 bands are for sale. (workers get a band outside of this sale)

Meal band sales are ONLY available through motorsports reg registration. If you are not racing and want a band, you may still register for only the meal band and pick it up at registration.

You can buy more than one when you register for anyone you like.

$40 gets you SIX meals cooked for you! AT THE TRACK!

Meal band sales will close on July 19th. No further sales will be made after this date, and Sales are final on this day.

Meal bands will not be for sale at the track, we do this because we need to order the food before the event.

To date we have sold 30+ bands... the rest are first to register, first to get them.

Thank you
Peter Belfanti
Team Continental Race Chair

140 Bands?

That's a strange number. "Light" on entry's would mean about 180. Assuming at least 2 people per car, that would require 360 bands just for them. Well okay lets say half the people bring there own food (very high ratio as most people seem to buy some track food) so only 90 entry's need bands. That's still 180.

What do I know, it just seems like you are cutting a GREAT IDEA a little tight.

Also, no track side sale means anybody that just comes out to watch the races cannot get food either. An incentive to leave at lunch time... not a good thing.

BUT I DO LIKE THE WHOLE THING!!

Last edited:
Richard,

Thank you for your input, thoughts and customer perspective. I value your views. Many of the people we surveyed last year agreed with you that this is a great idea but needed some fine adjustments.

Some of the points we considered when making the decision to limit racer sales to 140.

1. We have 3-4 people cooking non stop for 3 days from two grills and coolers. kitchen capacity is not capable of 360 servings x 6 meals. Throughput of the kitchen system at this time is a limiting factor. Greater demand is a good problem to have, and we will continue to attempt to improve this as the years go on.

2. WORKERS MUST BE FED.. 45-50 not for sale bands will be issued directly to workers. This takes the total food count to 190 if all bands are sold out on MSR. again bumping up against kitchen and staff capacity.

3. The meal band program allows the club not to waist food / racer money on overages. The food order purchase and pickup happen a few days prior to the race for non-perishables.. The perishable items are pre-ordered and are waiting for pickup in the Dalles Thursday or Friday morning. Selling bands at the track is to late to account for the food purchase. No Safeway to run to in Grass valley for an extra 50 servings of pulled pork.

4. We could (and may in the future) consider outsourcing this to a caterer. However, this would mean the band cost WILL be 3X or 4X the price. Driving down the demand. It's a balance that we are learning. While caterers have been contacted, few fit the needs of the ORP location at this time.

5. I don't want people showing up expecting to buy bands, and not have packed any food. Hungry racers... are not happy racers... Rather communicate a sold out condition (if it happens) before they arrive without food, and set expectations with a limited number of bands.

Again, thank you for your thoughts! As we try to balance our primary product (racing) with a side venture of meal service at a great value .

I expect progress this year and marked improvement in speed of food delivery, but not perfection.

Respectfully yours
Peter Belfanti
TC Race Chairman 2014

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the response Peter. The above makes the situation very clear.

Just a thought here. Might be worth the effort to look for a Corporate Sponsor for a lunch/restaurant facility considering the track functions all week long.

You need to come and visit Oregon Raceway Park in Grass Valley, Richard.

It's beautiful country. A lotta space. A lotta grass. Scenic views. Not too commercial. A real down to the earth kinda place. Dirt and rocks even.

I wonder if some 'green' corporation that is involved in all of those windmill power generation farms would like to step up?

Verizon, perhaps. They just put a tower up.

Meal band sales have closed. Thank you all that signed up!

No bands will be available for sale at the track. Bands were pre-order only.

EVERYONE IS STILL WELCOME TO SATURDAY nights social, with FREE BEER.

Cheers
Peter Belfanti
Team Continental
Race Chairman

Back