Sponsorship opportunity

robjacobsen

The Pros From Dover
Back in 2007, several turnworkers traveled back to Topeka, KS for the Runoffs. Those workers were Scott Ahrens, Bill Carr, Bonnie Aarseth, Cathy Frasier and myself. Cathy and Bonnie became stars back there when the radio system in Base Comm failed multiple times. Cathy and Bonnie picked up the slack and kept the show on the road from their turn station. They were both invited to work Base Comm for the 2008 Runoffs, but decided to pass since they were going to continue to use what they both considered to be an unsafe system for the premier amateur road racing event in the country. This year, the Runoffs are at Road America. Both Bonnie and Cathy have again been invited to work Base Comm. Road America has a land line system like that at PIR. Both ladies would like to make the trip, but there are problems standing in their way. Cathy changed employers and thus has no vacation time, let alone the funds to take on such a trip. Taking time off without pay would leave her and her husband in a bind. That assumes that he employer can be convinced. That doesn’t touch the costs involved in airfare, room and board. Bonnie’s case is slightly different. She has been able to get the time off, but the airfare, room and board are the issues. Airfare is going to cost around $400 for each. A room in Sheboygan that the ladies can share will cost $800. Add in meals and the total will end up close to $2000, not counting the time without pay issue that Cathy will be facing. If you are in a position to assist these ladies, feel free to contact me or contact them directly at the track. Now is the time for them to make travel plans to get things nailed down. Bill Carr, Kim Mcfarland and I are also planning on traveling to the Runoffs this fall, but we don’t need the assistance. Bill and I will undertake the task of making sure the ladies get too and from the track since we will be renting a vehicle while we are back there. Thanks for any help you can provide to send our stars back there to shine.

If I may make a suggestion.

There was a situation in the past where financial help was solicited. The person identified a dollar total that it would take to make the objective happen, and asked for help. The person set things up so that if the target dollar figure wasn't reached by a specific deadline date, the donations would be returned. The person was successful.

Under these circumstances I'd personally be glad to contribute something for our excellent Conference family members to get the ball rolling, and a mailing address would faciltate sending a check.

If you'd rather handle it another way, please say so, you won't hurt my feelings.

Last edited:
If you would like to mail checks to me for this fund, that would be fine. My home address is 3010 Olympia Way, Longview, WA 98632.

Make them out to Bonnie Aarseth and mail them to me. I see her at the track so often, some folks that don't know better have assumed that we are married, much to the dismay of my wife Betty and her husband Bob. I'll get them to her. We may not get both of the ladies there, but I think that getting Bonnie there will be quite possible, thanks to the kindness of the racers of the northwest. Thanks.

Rob, I may have a few $ left from this weekends Spokane Races. It won't be much but I will send a check anyway.
I was helped once in much the same way to fullfill my dream of racing at Laguna Seca.
If I can help in the future I will.
Best of luck girls and have a great time!

Last edited:
Rob, I may have a few $ left from this weekends Spokane Races. It won't be much but I will send a check anyway.
I was helped once in much the same way to fullfill my dream of racing at Laguna Seca.
If I can help in the future I will.
Best of luck girls and have a great time!

Thanks Scott. Every little bit helps.

And Peter, your check has arrived. Thanks.

Its always fun to help make something like this come true.

Just wanted to update everyone on the attempt to raise funds to send Bonnie Aarseth and Cathy Frasier to do their thing in race control at the Runoffs. So far checks totaling $210 have been received. It is a start. Getting Cathy there is going to be expensive due to the need to cover her loss of income. Bonnie already has the time off, but needs to cover airfare, meals and lodging back there. If the funds come up short of covering her room, she may still be able to go and stay with others. That aspect is being worked on as I type. The Runoffs are two month away, so we are close to having enough to cover the airfare for one of these fine ladies. If you are interested in helping out with any amount, feel free to contact me at robjake at Comcast dot net. Thanks.

Is there a rule against giving fun rides to paying passengers to raise money for things like this? Maybe $30 for 3 or 4 laps around Pacific or Portland? I'd be willing to install the passenger race seat and harness into my Spec Miata while doing laps at 7/10s or so (which is my normal speed anyway) for paying passengers. All the money would go to the workers. Just a thought.

I don't think there is a rule against it. Cascade does something like that during the Doernbecher Dash weekend to raise funds for the hospital. In the past, Oregon REgion didn't want to get involved in administering such a fund because of the headaches of making sure that the funds were distributed fairly to all the worker specialties. That is why I took it upon myself as an individual to approach the drivers with the needs of specific individuals. Most workers would love an expense paid trip to the Runoffs, but I would think that that much money is out of the question. It would be wonderful if such a fund were available, but there would be headaches involved in setting up qualifications and such. I may be an olde phart among the workers, but I'm not in a position to set up a track ride event to raise the funds. That would be something for the Race Chairs to approve or not. Food for thought.

Hi folks,
Just wanted to give everyone a status update on the fundraising progress to send Bonnie Aarseth and Cathy Frasier to the SCCA National Championship Runoffs at Road America. Cathy has been granted leave without pay from her employer so that she can go. I think they were afraid that she would quit, so they gave her the time. So far, we have funds or pledges totaling $1410. Their room will run around $900 for the stay and their airfare will total around $600. Bill Carr and I will have a rental car and will see to it that they get back and forth to the track. They still need some eating money. Both Cathy and Bonnie will be at the ICSCC race this weekend at Portland as usual. If you would like to contribute to the cause, you can either catch up with them there or mail to me and I will see to it that they get the funds. Both these fine ladies are really pumped up with excitement to actually be going and at all the help the Northwest racing family has provided. They are overwhelmed at the generosity that is making this chance to shine a possibility. For those that missed the earlier info, both Cathy and Bonnie were invited to come to the Runoffs and work in Base Comm. This is their chance to shine at the top level of amateur road racing. See you at the track.

Is there a rule against giving fun rides to paying passengers to raise money for things like this? Maybe $30 for 3 or 4 laps around Pacific or Portland? I'd be willing to install the passenger race seat and harness into my Spec Miata while doing laps at 7/10s or so (which is my normal speed anyway) for paying passengers. All the money would go to the workers. Just a thought.

Oh wow. I would be willing to pay for a ride for a good cause. Probably never get my car onto the track at PR.

Back