Spokane Update

I ran in to one of the Spokane Sovren guys the other night at the Quest. We briefly discussed the track changes for this year, and it sounds like the changes on the plans
that Lawrence posted are to be done this year. Nothing was confirmed yet, but it is on the County master plan. I just looked at the County website for information on the
bids for the new operator and the dates have been moved forward one week. According to the County site the operator will be announced on February 23rd. Lets see how that goes :) . My family stayed on the 8th floor of the Quest Hotel and the view of the track is awesome. I had plans of taking photos before we checked out, but we were in a hurry, and I forgot . I understand that they had already negotiated room discounts for the race weekend. Looking forward to some good racing news out of Spokane this season :) .

I also should note the new road section entering 6 and returning to the track where the end of the drag strip is. If I understood our conversation correctly this may be where the vintage guys return to the main track in order to run the old 1 through 3 sections.

Mike

Last edited:
I ran in to one of the Spokane Sovren guys the other night at the Quest.. Mike

Uhhhmm, the 2010 SOVREN schedule has been published and there's nothing new such as Spokane for 2010. It's the same old schedule of races with not even a trip to ORP.

As I recall from the last meeting minutes from SOVREN that I read, they are 'looking in to' running at other venues but have no immediate plan to do so.

Those guys are pretty 'fixed' in their ways and would actually 'look' for a commitment from their racers to support a Spokane race. I'd suspect Spokane would be a good venue for them to try and would pull in new people to vintage racing. Maybe 2011

Last edited:
Bill is a very wise racer type and an accountant as well. He is a long range thinker and has the best interests of the users in mind.
He has raced with SOVREN, SCCA and ICSCC in the past.
Having him on a decision-making commitee is a good thing. Edit: Not decision making but more like a steering commitee member
Lawrence

Last edited:
I have spoken with Bill on a few occasions, and I totally agree with Lawrenece on him. I believe Bill also attended the PIR Chumpcar race last
Fall. Chumpcar will be a big event for the facility and test the ability to hold a long enduro at the site.

The concern here is the housing track next to the prison is slowly expanding toward the track, and the ORV park.

I was more interested in the backgrounds on the bidders.

.....The concern here is the housing track next to the prison is slowly expanding toward the track, and the ORV park.

Geez, that figures. Wonder how long it will take the homeowners to form a "noise committee"?

That St. Albert, Alberta bid for operating the track, are they the ones who run Race City Motorsports Park up there? If so, they 'almost' lost that track to the city over the winter. The city owns it and almost shut it down. But at the last minute decided to allow it to operate for 5 more years. Six or seven of the guys up there in formula cars were thinking about towing to ICSCC races in 2010 but that may be off now.

Richard,
They are pretty much at the limits of the development. I believe the last street is at the edge of County property. If you ever have spent the night at the track the speakers at the prison are on all night, and you can hear announcements. Plus if it is Summer that hot plant runs long hours during
Summer paving season. I know I parked the RV next to it one race weekend, and when they fire off the burner you are awake :) .

I guess I shouldn't have put that housing tract on my concerned list. They all located within a known high noise are due to the low costs of the homes.

Mike

County has picked the new operators for the SCR.. This was posted on the KREM website at 4 PM today.

" AIRWAY HEIGHTS, Wash. -- Two new names will be running the Spokane Raceway Park starting this summer. County commissioners picked Ronald Hodgeson and Charles Allen to operate the raceway.

Allen is from Arizona. Hodgeson is from Canada. He is well-known in Canadian motor sports and is part-owner of the Edmonton Oilers hockey team. He also owns a car dealership.

Spokane county owns the raceway which currently is thousands of dollars in debt. "

wooohoooo.. ICSCC got coverage on the news last night . They announced the new track operators on the news last night, and used
the file footage from the races two years ago. I was even in the shot as the splitter :)

Back