Sad news for the holidays

westipton

Paul Whitworth, our Conference President from 1998 - 2000 has asked me to post this news.

" It is very sad indeed to inform you that Chuck Clemans has passed away. Chuck was President of Conference in 1970 - 71, then E-board rep for Cascade. He raced his Porsche in the 60's and 70's around the Northwest. A true gentlemen. There is an excellent story in Oregon Live at: http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-city/index.ssf/2011/12/chuck clemans 2009 orgeon city.html. A memorial service is being held January 7, 2012. Details in the link."

I met Chuck in 1964 when I joined Via Columbia Sports Car Club in Vancouver WA. Chuck had a nice blue 356 and I had a BRG TR-3. I had lots of fun chasing him in street rallies (except I usually got lost...) When I started racing my Sunbeam Tiger in 1970 in D Production, he was racing his Porsche in E Production. Back then, the Production classes did standing starts, by class, with the slower classes first. So - I always started a few seconds behind him. We had some great racing and he was a great guy on and off track. He had great parties at his house too! He had a great sense of humor and we always had a lot of fun. (He especially loved it when he could beat my Tiger early on, when I was learning to both drive and prepare the car - of course, driving it to the track. It's a street car - right?!) I haven't seen Chuck in several years now, but always considered him a friend. Some guys are like that - He was one. Great guy. Great loss.

Mel Kemper

Back