Russ Nybergs RaceTech Motorsports burns

kyle_nickels

"The Okie"
Just got word that a 2 alarm blaze started reportedly from a collocated metal stripping business has burned Russ' shop. Pretty well everything is gone.

I hope the best for Russ and a speedy rebuild of his business!!

I was thinking that, oh well, at least business insurance should cover most of the costs of the building/equipment, but then that article mentioned racecars in the shop... ouch.

Yeah extreme bummer for him. I'm sure the chump car (Camaro) was inside with all the prep they have been doing... Wonder if Todd's c6 vette was still inside too?

Dog and his lizard (bearded dragon ozzy) didn't make it.

ChumpCar Forum has started a donation/gifting project to help him out. He had insurance to cover the building but not his equipment (I hope it covered customer cars). ChumpCar has donated $2,500.00 to start. Loan of tools/equestrian etc or gifting acceptable.

There will be people at The Chumpcar race at the Ridge this weekend to accept donations from what I hear..

Really sucks when a local business takes a huge hit like this no matter what industry. Hopefully Russ will be able to rebuild; though I know nothing will be able to replace Zoey...

Message from Russ

I am finally online. Using a freinds computer and had to remember by log in info.

Here is what is happening.

I went to the shop Saturday to look around and it wasn't any better than Friday.

Sunday with the help from John B at Matrix Int in Portland and two Team Members we were able to recover both rolling tool boxes, jack stands, jack, 3 radiators, Seat, Bender, bead roller and corner nothcher. Left is the Shear and brake and the 2 post lift.

Damages sustained to all of my Air, electrcial tools such as drills, sanders, grinders and all my battery powered impacts and drills. I had a lot of tools that were doubled or tripled and all were damaged beyond repair. I lost my laptop, digital camera, Vinyl plotter, PC and printer and all my files and hard pictures.

The Jet Brand tools, belt sander, drill press, band saws and bench grinders are all toast. Bender hydraulics are shot, bead roller electric motor, pedal assembly and power lead. Miller 220 tig and mig machines are destroyed. 2 post lift suffered the same.

Worst of all is the loss of the C6 Corvette that my Chump Partners owns. I had over 80 hours of labor just in the last few weeks in it and a but load of hours over the last 4 years in it. I will be able to salvage engine trans and diff. Rest is gone except for the frame and cage.

We lost the front of the Chump Camaro to the heat. Bumper cover, lights, complete wiring harness, windshield, back polycarb melted over the fuel cell door. Gauges are shot along with front tires and top of engine including carb, dist, wires etc. All of our spares for the car including engine parts, tires, brakes and body parts are all gone. Seat cover, window net, belts, radio harness and all the work we put into it.

The plan is to strip the entire car and rewire, skin the front with panels, glass, poly and get it ready. Won't be this year but hopefully beginning of 2013.

I want to thank all of the offers I have recieved for seat time but I also lost my G-force Pro suit, under wear, shoes, my HJC si 12 helmet, hans device, gloves, bag and radio ear piece. I would have to start from scratch and I have bigger issues to deal with right now like getting back up and my customer cars dealt with.

I really want to thank John, CCWS and all of the Chumps for your generosity and concerns. It really means very much to me and I sometimes like the rest of Mankind have a hardtime accepting help. I will never forget what you have offered or done. I just hope that I can thank each of you personally in the near future.

I hope to be up and running in just a few weeks. The space I was at I will need to walk away from and start a new. It will take many months before it will be done and I feel it would be better for me to leave that part of town.

I now need to focus on cleaning out the shop, cars and debris in the next few days so I will be very busy. It is hard to schedule or ask for help from the local chumps since the Ridge race is just a few days away but it you have some free time in the day when it is light you are more than welcome to help. Give me a call at 503-839-8071.

Thanks to everyone again!

Last edited:
Man, that's really horrible, not to mention the loss of his pets. As for that C6 Corvette, is he talking about Todd Bradish's car? 'Cause I'm sure Todd had insurance for his racecar, just as we all do... not, of course. :(

Jeremy and Justin Williams, co-owners of Matrix Integrated have opened their doors and cleared some space for Russ to get back to work. I went over on Sunday with the trailer and pulled the equipment that was salvageable and brought it back to our shop. After a trip through the hot tank and some clean up we got Russ set up with some space to work. He needs to rebuild his tubing bender and get the sheet metal equipment that was too heavy to move cleaned up and fixed and then he should be up and running. He will be using our fab room, welders and shop space until a more permanent space can be found. I feel the best way to help Russ is to get the word out that he is still in business and support him when you need work on your car. Russ can be reached at his normal shop number.

Matrix Integrated is located at 4000 SW Macadam Ave portland Or 97239. A couple of blocks south on Macadam from the Trimet/OHSU tram.

Jon Bonforte
G1 #20 16V Golf

P.S. Matrix Integrated is supplying Russ shop space and our equipment at no charge until he can find a more permanent space. Please support Russ however you can.

Huge thumbs up to you Jon and the gang at matrix. Although I have never had the pleasure to have my work done there...all my years as a VW owner on the east coast I have known about you guys. In addition Eric S always is talking highly of you all. It's great to see a fellow shop helping out a guy like Russ.

Props to Jeremy, Justin, and Jon at Matrix Integrated for their generosity. Awesome shop and awesome people. Tough times for Russ but he's a soldier and sounds like he's pushing through. Russ is a great guy and even if he doesn't want to accept it, is greatly deserving of support for all he has done for the racer community.

Just a quick update on Russ. He has secured shop space in the same building as Matrix Integrated is in. Russ is now moved in and is fully operational for all your fabricating needs. He is located right off Macadam Ave in South Waterfront area just a couple blocks south of the OHSU tram. Stop by and see his new digs or call and schedule some time to get some work done....after he is done with my car that is!

Jon Bonforte
SPU 16V Golf

Back